Author Topic: USB issue on Win 10  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
USB issue on Win 10
« on: February 27, 2016, 08:26:48 AM »
My TrackIR 5 is no longer seen by Win 10, for some reason. When I plug the TrackIR into another PC's USB port, the "new hardware found" wizard fires right up, but not on my Win 10 box.

I hate USB. Also Billgatus of Borg.   :mad:

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: USB issue on Win 10
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 09:20:31 AM »

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 09:56:03 AM »
Nope. No deliberate updates on my part. Unknown if the the Win 10 automatic stuff was responsible.

PC Specs

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 10:11:45 AM »
Solved, after much gnashing of teeth:

1.) Uninstalled all Naturalpoint software, both the TrackIR and the USB drivers.
2.) Unplugged the device.
3.) Per instructions, rebooted PC twice.
4.) Re-installed the TrackIR 5 software.
5.) Plugged the device back in.
6.) Used the "run" box to fire up "hdwwiz.exe". In the Wizard, manually selected "Naturalpoint device" and then "TrackIR 5". Re-re-installed drivers.

And yes, I still hate USB.  ;)

PC Specs

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 05:48:45 AM »
It seems a Windows 10 update created the problem.  Still digging into it.  You are not the only one affected.  You do know you cannot stop Windows 10 updates?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 05:17:47 PM »
Skuzzy, this site suggest you can.

https://4sysops.com/archives/disable-windows-update-in-windows-10/

Since my laptop still after 3 weeks is at repair, I can not check it.

It seems a Windows 10 update created the problem.  Still digging into it.  You are not the only one affected.  You do know you cannot stop Windows 10 updates?
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 09:03:19 PM »
Yes, things have changed in the last year-and-a-half.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 06:24:39 AM »
Skuzzy, this site suggest you can.

https://4sysops.com/archives/disable-windows-update-in-windows-10/

Since my laptop still after 3 weeks is at repair, I can not check it.

I cannot get that site to open.  Windows 10 Enterprise has controls for managing updates, but if it refers to setting the connection as "metered" to stop them, then it will stop "some" of the updates, but not all.  Shortly after people figured that one out Microsoft made a policy change.  Updates considered "critical" get installed no matter what, unless you are on a corporate LAN with Windows 10 Enterprise and the IT folks have configured the computer to get the updates pushed from a local server.

That's not to say there is some hacking one could so to prevent the updates, but I would be careful with that.  Microsoft might take its option to revoke the license for Windows 10 if you run like that.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 08:41:43 AM »
I cannot get that site to open.  Windows 10 Enterprise has controls for managing updates, but if it refers to setting the connection as "metered" to stop them, then it will stop "some" of the updates, but not all.  Shortly after people figured that one out Microsoft made a policy change.  Updates considered "critical" get installed no matter what, unless you are on a corporate LAN with Windows 10 Enterprise and the IT folks have configured the computer to get the updates pushed from a local server.

That's not to say there is some hacking one could so to prevent the updates, but I would be careful with that.  Microsoft might take its option to revoke the license for Windows 10 if you run like that.

Skuzzy,

I got it to open and yes they're going into the Windows Registry in Build 10240 to re enable the old Windows Update Option list that had the option to "Never check for updates" in the list. Most of the original keys are still there except the 1 sub key that MS removed that allowed the old Windows Update Options list to appear.....it is this sub key that when put back gave access to it.

Well Microsoft took that 1 away in Build 9926 and so the author of 4sysops.com came up w\ the method in this build to disable the Windows Update service in Services tab...would show an error when MS tries to send updates. Another user reported back that you can go into registry and re enable the entire old Windows Update keys (MS had removed the entire key strings to access the old Windows Update Options list from build 10240) & get all of it back by making a file in NotePad using the old registry strings then naming the file "WU.reg".

Interesting to say the least.............

FYI.............

:salute
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:46:34 AM by Pudgie »
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 10:41:34 AM »
Skuzzy,

I got it to open and yes they're going into the Windows Registry in Build 10240 to re enable the old Windows Update Option list that had the option to "Never check for updates" in the list. Most of the original keys are still there except the 1 sub key that MS removed that allowed the old Windows Update Options list to appear.....it is this sub key that when put back gave access to it.

Well Microsoft took that 1 away in Build 9926 and so the author of 4sysops.com came up w\ the method in this build to disable the Windows Update service in Services tab...would show an error when MS tries to send updates. Another user reported back that you can go into registry and re enable the entire old Windows Update keys (MS had removed the entire key strings to access the old Windows Update Options list from build 10240) & get all of it back by making a file in NotePad using the old registry strings then naming the file "WU.reg".

Interesting to say the least.............

FYI.............

Sort of like a dog chasing his tail.  Find one way to get around it and they plug it up, find another way, and they plug it up.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 11:14:29 AM »
Sort of like a dog chasing his tail.  Find one way to get around it and they plug it up, find another way, and they plug it up.

Yep, that bout covers it..............

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 09:39:50 PM »
Don't all laugh at once now, but I had an emergency awhile back where I needed an OS immediately and of course went to every place in town - even little mom and pop type stores and nobody had Windows 7. So, out of desperation picked up Windows 10 home. And unless I'm missing something, (I haven't dinked around the registry or anything just disabled updates in services and what have you just like I would in previous versions.) But, attachment included. Save for the couple of updates on there before I got all the settings the way I wanted them, doesn't appear to have installed/downloaded anymore. Then again, that doesn't really mean much I'm not exactly Windows 10 savvy.

P.S. Got my windows 7 back as well but have kept this to tinker around with.

-edit- I apparently am not smart enough to do the attachment thing, here ya go.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:43:07 PM by Estes »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 03:07:10 AM »
My Windows installed updates lists five updates. One of those is the same as one of yours. The other four are different one of which is the Flash update that they finally got right, but it still requires that Adobe Animate be installed for the system to be stable (Flash CS6 alone causes Windows 10 all manner of problems at least on my system). The other differences are probably because I use the Pro x64 version versus your Home.

I have reset Windows on a few machines that went berserk (Windows fault). When you do that sometimes the system will wait for a couple days before it "allows" you to see more updates. I can't explain that behavior.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 12:11:53 PM »
Chalenge, not sure if it matters or not but my home edition is also 64 bit. Bino, glad you got your issue fixed. Something I ran into, and granted this was/is when I'm using my Windows 7 rig but I've found that the USB 3.0 ports are finicky about stuff like joysticks etc.,

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 01:33:26 PM »
Yeah I don't think it matters.

As far as the USB issue I have found that Windows 10 can be even worse than Windows 7 when it comes to power issues on USB. I have handled it by adding powered hub right off of the MB ports. Then, anything that draws power off of the USB socket does not draw from the MB directly.