Author Topic: Why do players leave?  (Read 5359 times)

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Why do players leave?
« on: March 06, 2016, 11:08:06 AM »
I have just left Aces High. Having been around for more than a few years I decided to give it some thought on why. You must appreciate this is just a personal perspective and it will be different to each player. - There is no right or wrong, just my own thoughts.

First and foremost what was it I did enjoy - Simple, the fight and by this I mean even when grossly outnumbered having enough fighting on your side to deny the enemy a victory was as much fun as winning. Interaction was the key element.

If you were to ask me did I enjoy being part of a hoard to steamroller over an virtually undefended base to take it in record time the answer is no, been there done that, great that we win a base but that's it, no satisfaction in it though. - This does happen from time to time, it is part of the game like it or not. This is not a reason for leaving, but part of the game I did not enjoy. Like wise I did not enjoy being on the receiving end when the numbers differential is extreme to the point of no defense possible. I would simple leave the hoard to it and look for a fight elsewhere.

As I started to log on less frequently it seemed to me very hard to find a fight so I find myself doing a lot of time flying and not finding the fights. If a large arena was up I would simply log off if the fighting was too hard to find.

So for me the interaction simply was not there any more. I need to add that I simply do not have the time to commit to the organised events where it must be virtually guaranteed.

I have the Beta as well and the graphics are great, but you know, it really is the game play that is important (to me). Yes there is a need to improve graphics to keep up with the times but unfortunately it seemed to me that is all it is. I could not see the changes having any significant impact on the game play, only to make it visually more attractive.

I did try to see if I could suspend my account, take a break if you see what I mean, but for whatever reason the absence of a response to a couple of emails meant that I ended up hitting the delete account button which also permanently removes your game ID from future use. It is probably just silly of me, but knowing that means that, it is less likely I would bother to return. I have no idea what impact this would have on others but somehow it is like losing your other self for good.

The selection of reasons for leaving when deleting the account did not seem fitting after being around so long I felt it deserved something more.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why do players leave?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 11:30:10 AM »
Just FYI, Blagard - I have come and gone to AH several times since I started back in 2000 or 2001, and I have been more or less able to get "oboe" back.  Not because  I like the handle, but because it just feels like my identity here.  HTC occasionally cleans out the game ID database and so they become available again. 

btw, HTC keeps referring to Road/train development as coming - depending on what this is, it could really expand game play I think.  Interdiction, supply, etc.  Perhaps destroyable  bridges?  I dunno, I sure would like them to reveal in more detail what the plans are...

I have high hopes when AH3 goes live there will be a crush of players returning to check it out; I hope you are one of them.  <S>

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 11:42:13 AM »
HTC occasionally cleans out the game ID database and so they become available again. 

Well, that's good to know. I haven't been able to get 'Arlo' back from my original incarnation or 'Guthrie' back from my recent health related sabbatical.

-Guthr1e

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 11:49:56 AM »
You can always call Skuzzy or ht staff will be able to assist
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 11:58:01 AM »
if you want to leave then leave.  not need to explain why. 

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 12:01:09 PM »
I never had to. Granted, I've always been supportive of the game and community and still enjoy both. I always know the door's open and the bar's still there. I even intended to leave my account open while gone (I lost track). :D

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 12:28:04 PM »
Well, that's good to know. I haven't been able to get 'Arlo' back from my original incarnation or 'Guthrie' back from my recent health related sabbatical.

-Guthr1e

While they do clean out the old names now and then, I don't think it's a priority. Give them a call and if the name you want is not attached to an active account, they will clear it to make it available to you. I've seen it happen a number of times.

if you want to leave then leave.  not need to explain why. 

semp

Once again, things aren't all about you. HTC may be very interested in why people leave. I'm glad Blagard took the time to spell out what he feels are his reasons for leaving. Im too stubborn to leave but have many of the same feelings toward which way the game play has gone. Just because your still happy playing the way you do doesn't mean there isn't a problem. If everyone thought the way you do about game play we would still have over 800 players playing on a Saturday night US prime time.

I hope there are changes that adjust game play when the new version goes live. I don't see much hope in that. They seem to be looking to cater toward stealing away WOT players by adding the "tank arena" but this could dilute an already low numbered population in the main arena. I don't know how it will all turn out, but like I said Im too stubborn to quit. This is the only game I like and the only game I make time to play. I'll be sticking around to see how it ll turns out.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 12:52:04 PM »
If I was to leave it would be due to financial reasons...I can't stand some of the game play of late (years) but there are still those gems that remind me of the awesomeness that is AH for me...
I had until AH never been totally hooked on a game....many times I have considered leaving because of frustration at something or other but on reflection it happened because of my stupidity (trusting the other player has the same mindset as myself)
I can't even leave for a holiday without the thoughts of withdrawal setting in...this game is a mindflip( ;))

As with all good things Indy....unlike a Hollywood blockbuster .... the attraction is the immersion not the fancy fluff...AH stands out for me in this way like no other.... that is the reason I will continue to pay and play till I can no more..... It is stupid that a game can have such an attraction...but hey...keeps me out of trouble so that is a big positive.....Well that's how I sell it to the missus anyway  hahahaha

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 02:02:55 PM »
While they do clean out the old names now and then, I don't think it's a priority. Give them a call and if the name you want is not attached to an active account, they will clear it to make it available to you. I've seen it happen a number of times.

Once again, things aren't all about you. HTC may be very interested in why people leave. I'm glad Blagard took the time to spell out what he feels are his reasons for leaving. Im too stubborn to leave but have many of the same feelings toward which way the game play has gone. Just because your still happy playing the way you do doesn't mean there isn't a problem. If everyone thought the way you do about game play we would still have over 800 players playing on a Saturday night US prime time.

I hope there are changes that adjust game play when the new version goes live. I don't see much hope in that. They seem to be looking to cater toward stealing away WOT players by adding the "tank arena" but this could dilute an already low numbered population in the main arena. I don't know how it will all turn out, but like I said Im too stubborn to quit. This is the only game I like and the only game I make time to play. I'll be sticking around to see how it ll turns out.

fugitive all you have done for the 10 years I have been here is beotch.   head to the biggest dar bar you can find, and I can guarantee you you will find a fight.  head to the middle of nowhere and you wont find any fights.  it is just that simple.

nobody will fight, your fight.  but you can always fight your fight.  if you know how to find your fight.

semp

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 02:58:25 PM »

fugitive all you have done for the 10 years I have been here is beotch.   head to the biggest dar bar you can find, and I can guarantee you you will find a fight.  head to the middle of nowhere and you wont find any fights.  it is just that simple.

nobody will fight, your fight.  but you can always fight your fight.  if you know how to find your fight.

semp

semp

More nonsensical diatribe, but please continue as I know many find your postings hilarious.  :rolleyes:

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 03:13:01 PM »

semp

:rofl   :aok
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »
GameID's are cleaned every week day on deleted or inactive free time accounts accounts.

HiTech

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 03:34:37 PM »
That makes my previous cpids hot commodities it seems.  :D
Of course, guess that's 2 different things.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 09:58:50 PM »
I think a lot of people started leaving when the updates steadily came to a halt, as HTC continued work on their updated engine. This, paired with others leaving for personal reasons, a lack of steady stream of new players, and the overall result of fewer numbers leading to fewer fights and even more people leaving started a slow decent into what we have today. I thoroughly believe that once the engine is released officially, the bugs are hammered out, and advertising picks up (hopefully heavily), numbers will pick up once again. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 10:04:41 PM »
People leave because after playing the same video game for some time they get bored of it and find something else to do. That's normal. You weirdos that stick around for years are the exception not the norm.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck