Author Topic: Why do players leave?  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why do players leave?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 10:30:53 PM »
While I haven't left, I haven't been logging in to fly simply because there's only so many hours available in the day, and so much other stuff I have to squeeze into it. Often what time I'm not spending at work is given over to eating, working out, and writing, with about 6-7 hours for sleep. It doesn't leave much time for ANY gaming. :-\
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 12:52:03 AM »
People leave because after playing the same video game for some time they get bored of it and find something else to do. That's normal. You weirdos that stick around for years are the exception not the norm.

Going to save this quote  ;) :D

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 01:51:50 AM »
Your not new to this game, you write all that analysis on a game you are new to :old:

YOU lot man up!

Defo a feminist or someone who has been shat in his sandbox :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 08:59:22 AM »
People leave because after playing the same video game for some time they get bored of it and find something else to do. That's normal. You weirdos that stick around for years are the exception not the norm.

This is sig worthy...

This weirdo ain't leaving till they turn the lights off... :rofl :aok
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 10:31:04 AM »
HT posted HTC's data on why players leave, as well as some pretty well reasoned opinions on the matter.  I don't agree with all of the reasons they stated, but certainly do agree with some.  HTC has stated that they survive off of a 1 to 2 year player shelf life, and grow through having more "ins" than "outs" in that period, at least that's how I read it.  The problem that happened once blue/orange arenas were cancelled and the 800 player Titanic Tuesday numbers started dropping, is obviously the outs were outnumbering the ins.

Why the leaving rate started edging out the joining rate - who knows.  There are many factors I'm sure, the economy, the graphics becoming a bit old, etc.  One thing I've never done is criticize the original game formula.  It's a winner, always has been, and will continue to be, even with tweaks and changes.  I firmly believe this company is the only one that has ever gotten this part RIGHT, and will continue to defend this part of HTC.  Some of the bbs/forum rules, issues, actions, and other things, not so much, but IMO while it can appear that arguments between HTC and p/o'd players leaving has an effect on the numbers, reality is that it probably isn't that crucial, it just looks that way to those that peruse the forums often.  I'd prefer a different PR angle with non-confrontation, but it's HT's company and if he wants to rake someone being an idiot over the coals, it's his place to do so after all.  Skuzzy has been quoted as saying "the forum argument, followed by nasty posts, then nastier phone calls and emails, followed by the account cancellation and a REALLY nasty email".  It's unfortunate this happens, but I think they probably account for like 1% of the overall numbers problem.

There is much potential here now, I can feel it - the new version coming sooner than later now - it'll take a subtle and intelligent plan IMO, but it's not rocket science, in order to bring some of the millions of WW2 online gamers over here - just pick off a small fraction of them, and 800 number nights will be here to stay for a long time.

One thing I'd like to use as an example - Countersrike.  I know the original creator, I interviewed him back in the early 2000s when it was a new mod for Half Life.  It's risen and fallen many times.  Two large pro gaming companies went bust over it.  The last CS GO nearly failed too.  Then the creators started this "weapons and knifes" skin collection stuff - something I believed to be nonsense.  It not only saved the game, but now it's one of the most played games every day, top 1,2,3 depending on the day.  Mainly due to one little change that allows collection and trade of items of value that make your graphic guns and knives look...goofy.

My point is the internet can be a fickle place, and it's difficult to put your finger on why something works and doesn't, and thus just as hard to figure out why players leave.  There are hundreds of reasons for departing players,  I'm certain.  What's important now is to understand what will make new players JOIN, and stick it out for that 2 years or so at least, so HTC can see some revenue for the long work they've put in, and so us players/users can be more entertained by having a larger game, and all the + that comes with it.

I helped Dolby make a quick AH3 youtube promo vid.  Flying around in 1440p and 4k with my higher end Gsync LCDs, I got a good idea of how much better it looks than AH2 - they are on to something here, again, I can start to feel it already.

I think the whole beta thing just needs a strike on the match, once it's burning, things are going to get exciting here pretty fast.  That match is out of the box now, and it'll be lit soon IMO.  Every time I load it now I'm more and more impressed.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 10:33:55 AM by Gman »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 11:01:44 AM »

This.  It has a shelf life, and IMO for every player it's different.  For some it's months, some a few years, some many years.

I also think the ones that don't get bored with it for years have a tendency to explode bigger when they quit, I think because they had made a much larger investment in time and personal investment than those who quit relatively quickly.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 11:24:32 AM »
Gman, remember this http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,334552.msg4672676.html#msg4672676
It's like the CS GO gun skins  ;)
Personal modification of an aircraft would go down well
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 11:31:30 AM »
Gman, remember this http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,334552.msg4672676.html#msg4672676
It's like the CS GO gun skins  ;)
Personal modification of an aircraft would go down well

If I ignore the technical end of it, I think personalized skins would be awesome as long as there was an option to turn them off from the other side so you'd just see default skins on other people if you liked.  That way, people that would get thrown off by a pink MLP themed P51D wouldn't have to look at it.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 11:44:23 AM »
I think you keep getting the wrong end of the stick. Like bright red tanks;
The base skin is historical camo only, its the nose art and insignias that change. Have nosey at some WarThunder to get an idea,My addition to the base skin are the Red Heart the 5 on the tail and the victory mark by the canopy

JG5 "Eismeer"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 11:52:22 AM »
I think you keep getting the wrong end of the stick. Like bright red tanks;
The base skin is historical camo only, its the nose art and insignias that change. Have nosey at some WarThunder to get an idea,My addition to the base skin are the Red Heart the 5 on the tail and the victory mark by the canopy
(Image removed from quote.)

Well, obviously you shouldn't be able to change the other guys' skins to something custom to prevent blaze orange enemy dweebery.  I was just thinking the only quasi-legit complaint people could have about it would be their sense of immersion is ruined by nonhistorical stuff.

I was thinking of a couple custom planes I'd seen in WT a while ago that looked to me a lot more heavily modified than that one.

I wonder if it might be viable to at least have custom fuselage numbers and tail markings.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 11:55:27 AM »
It certainly could work - I mean look at the numbers and data from the skins in CS Go - there are many articles, some by the creators themselves, who credit this one single decision and addition to the game with completely saving it, and turning it into a wildly successful product. 

While every game and community has differences, I think and hope HTC is observing these little things that have made HUGE differences with other online games, and come up with their own ideas how to spin some of that into the new product.  It's their game to win, I fully believe that, I've stated it dozens of times, the HUGE numbers of WW2 gamers from WT, IL2 BoS, so many others - the interest is there, it's just setting the right hook with the right bait, and dropping it in the water at the right time.  I've still never played any other WW2 game which at its corps I feel is better than this, therefore WE should have the numbers we want here - just need to take them.

If personal skins, pilots, whatever else, could help do that, two thumbs up, absolutely. Heck, incorporate the "star" ranking system on the clipboard to open up new skins, make them trade-able, or purchasable with perk points - give players rabbits like that to chase.  Worked real well with CS Go, for certain, and I'd have bet against that, big time, but the proof is in the pudding. 

I think it's also a retention tool - when people build collections of stuff like that, they feel very protective of it, thus staying in the game is the highest priority, and extends beyond just the "fun" and quality of the game product, and adds an entirely different dimension in terms of earning and trading stuff like this.

I like the idea Dolby.  A lot.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:57:11 AM by Gman »

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 12:04:50 PM »
Well I really like the game but some time a month or two ago its like a switch went off in my head and I just had no desire to play it, it is weird. It isn't really boredom just a sudden total lack of interest. I've still got my account, I still think its a great idiosyncratic niche game just not interested, like I said it feels weird. I imagine some time in the future I'll feel like logging on but if its AH3 I probably won't be able to, (too cheap to spend the money on hardware.) So regardless of what happens I'm glad I got to experience it when I did. I appreciate the attempts at flight fidelity/flyability, the open persistent sandbox design, the big plane set, the absence of rules, the ease of use, and the fact that it didn't make my computer crash.
Pies not kicks.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 12:48:25 PM »
Dolby Warthunder is kak and you know it :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 01:24:44 PM »
zack if you take all the good points from all of the other simulators/combat games, and put them in your game, you'd have one unbeatable product.
JG5 "Eismeer"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 01:31:41 PM »
I've always argued that some degree of personalization while still remaining within the realms of what would be appropriate would be a great bonus.

Apply some of the same standards for historicity as we have now — so no fluorescent pink, can't have swastikas to conform with the legal issues, etc. — but allow things like custom numbers, nose art, and squadron markings.

Another possibility is to make it a decal system. Say for example:

A player wants to customize an F4U-1A. They go into the hangar screen and there's a "Customize" option. They're then presented with options:

Base Camoflage:

USN Tricolor
USN Dark Sea Blue
RN Camoflage
RNZAF Tricolor

Roundel:

US Blue (Star and Bar with blue surrounds)
US Red (Star and Bar with red surrounds)
RN
RNZAF

Fuselage Number Style:

USN
USMC
RN
RNZAF

Number:

[Text Entry Field]

Personal Art Position:

Cowl
Forward Fuselage
Stabilizer

[File Upload Button]

Squadron Art Position:

Cowl
Forward Fuselage
Stabilizer

[File Upload Button]

So, rather than having to make a skin that then has to be reviewed and approved, the player would instead use Radio Buttons to select their camo type, roundel type, number style, and where to place personal/squadron art (linked to the camo type, so USN camo gives you US roundel options, etc). The base skin and roundel could all be stock art already built into the game.

And you could then have different options for different types of aircraft. IE P-51s could be in BMF or olive drab, options for invasion stripes (both surfaces, under surfaces only, none), glare panel color if applicable, etc.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.