Author Topic: Floating in a chute  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Floating in a chute
« on: March 18, 2016, 11:31:18 PM »
I was under the impression that floating down from alt is a no-no.  The pilot was to end-flight as soon as bailed out.

The potential as an observatory and ack magnet is too great.  Tonight was my second observance of this in the past two months.  Tonight just floating, the last FSO a bailed pilot sat on the end of the runway absorbing ack fire until he was strafed.

I can find no written rule... did I miss something? :confused:
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
Re: Floating in a chute
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 11:38:27 PM »
From the FSO Rules.. Penalties.. Item 7

- Pilots are expected to do their "fighting" from the AC or GV's that they have been assigned to by their CiC. Once you have been shot down you should be heading to your tower. Shooting at the enemy with your .45 or drawing anti-aircraft fire with your pilot is not allowed. You may be suspended for doing so.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 11:50:35 PM »
Thanks Drone... I knew I had read it somewhere.

:salute

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 05:36:24 PM »
You can certainly float down...but once you are on the ground you are required to end flight.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 07:09:44 PM »
I always understood the rule to be that a bailed pilot must immediately end flight.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 03:26:34 AM »
- Pilots are expected to do their "fighting" from the AC or GV's that they have been assigned to by their CiC. Once you have been shot down you should be heading to your tower. Shooting at the enemy with your .45 or drawing anti-aircraft fire with your pilot is not allowed. You may be suspended for doing so.

It does not say explicitly. The rule is there to ensure no "Forward Observer Scouts" or ".45 bandits" run around the FSO frame calling in strikes on targets and doing a lot of nonsense. I don't mind if you float down but once ground contact is made its to the tower. Most pilots just tower right away. 

Just follow the spirit of the rule.

There is no FSO rule against killing chutes. If you want to risk being strafed in your chute take the scenic route I guess <shrug> but don't complain that you got strafed. I think that's fair.

...so float at your own risk.  :)

All that said...this:

Tonight just floating, the last FSO a bailed pilot sat on the end of the runway absorbing ack fire

Is absolutely against the rules as stated above.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 03:46:11 AM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline WxMan

• Nickel Member
      • Arabian Knights
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 09:13:57 AM »
So a bailed pilot floating over a base taking ack is ok???
AKWxMan
Arabian Knights

"The money you payed earns you nothing. You paid for many hours of entertainment you received, and nothing more." - HiTech

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 10:25:58 AM »
My entire problem with the bailed pilot floating leisurely is his ability to radio anyone in the area.  Sure we can shoot him, but didn't we already accomplish that?  From the chute you can still give

Check sixes...
Directional information...
Another wave of bombers coming in on the deck...

And that is just on the defensive side of things, on the offensive side there is always becoming the ack shield.   :noid

If you punch out from a damaged plane... you should be required to end flight immediately, period.   :salute

Offline pops57

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 11:00:50 AM »
Agreed! Tower out ends any chance for complaint. This rule would benefit from a clarification/rewrite. Bail out= tower out!
My entire problem with the bailed pilot floating leisurely is his ability to radio anyone in the area.  Sure we can shoot him, but didn't we already accomplish that?  From the chute you can still give

Check sixes...
Directional information...
Another wave of bombers coming in on the deck...

And that is just on the defensive side of things, on the offensive side there is always becoming the ack shield.   :noid

If you punch out from a damaged plane... you should be required to end flight immediately, period.   :salute

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 12:30:58 PM »
Agreed! Tower out ends any chance for complaint. This rule would benefit from a clarification/rewrite. Bail out= tower out!

I agree.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »
Seconded. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 03:37:54 PM »
I once bailed over the channel,I tried to walk,errr swin to the french coast so I wouldnt be captured...... didnt make it as the frame was about to end so I had to tower.... :furious :furious

Now what about if you ditch a plane,do you have to tower or could you risk being killed as you sit in the plane and "advise" squadies,or is that against the rules also?

Offline DH367th

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 05:26:05 PM »
No you can not sit in a ditched plane and advise no you can not bail and advise. If you bail or your plane is no longer flyable
you should be in the tower or asking to gun for a teammate.
You don't have to be crazy but it helps

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 07:15:17 PM »
I would much rather gun or even just ride in the back seat as an extra pair of eyes!

I wasnt sure about the ditched plane and thats why I asked.

But hey I only want to be able to say I swam the channel! :rofl

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 09:18:49 PM »
Trust me I learned the hard way with this topic I forgot about the rule bailed say on the berm and aimed my 45 at a low flying plane then posted a screen of the incident. Breaking that rule gets ya one night off from FSO so if I bail now I tower as soon as my chute opens then gun or ride as second eyes
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-