Author Topic: Japanese Zero pilots - URL  (Read 1636 times)

Offline RJH57

• Copper Member
Japanese Zero pilots - URL
« on: March 31, 2016, 08:31:01 AM »
interesting blog about WWII Japanese pilots
http://dianediekman.com/japanese-zero-pilots/
"In Fighters, one must always quest to be
     a well-oiled machine fore Belching,
Whoring and Punching of Heads because
 inevitably the Goal is to flame the Enemy
            and Screw his Old Lady"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Japanese Zero pilots - URL
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 02:10:52 AM »
The book "Samurai," by Saburo Sakai is excellent.  The author mentions it in the article.  If you like the article, you will love the book.  It is now available on Amazon as a Kindle book for about $5.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 02:17:42 AM »
The book "Samurai," by Saburo Sakai is excellent.  The author mentions it in the article.  If you like the article, you will love the book.  It is now available on Amazon as a Kindle book for about $5.

It is one of my favourite books in my collection and well worth reading.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 08:46:30 PM »
Martin Caiden's "cyborg" series is some good science fiction.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »

Heh.  So are many of his "non-fiction" books.

- oldman

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 09:23:19 PM »
I will always say a word in Martin Caiden's defense (not necessarily regarding his veracity). 

As a young lad, I can name three books that fueled my interest in WWII aviation.  "Battle of Britain" by Quentin Reynolds, "Great American Fighter Pilots of WWII" by Robert Loomis, and "Zero Fighter" by Martin Caiden. 

The first two laid the groundwork but Caiden's book was absolutely a match to to the fuel-soaked tinder of my imagination.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 09:25:25 PM by oboe »

Offline RJH57

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 07:28:09 AM »

Heh.  So are many of his "non-fiction" books.

If I remember correctly, in his book "THUNDERBOLT" he claimed that after the upgrade to the Hamilton Paddle Blade propeller, the P-47 could hang on its nose in a vertical climb

http://p47.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=128328 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 07:35:38 AM by RJH57 »
            and Screw his Old Lady"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 09:23:56 AM »
I think someone here once said he was a writer who never let the truth stand in the way of a good story...

Offline RJH57

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 10:08:59 AM »
I think someone here once said Martin Caidin was a writer who never let the truth stand in the way of a good story...

and Screw his Old Lady"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 11:44:10 AM »
I like Caidin's books.

There might be inaccuracies in them (although people I've asked to point out the inaccuracies often can't do so), but there are also many things that are not inaccuracies, and the books are fun to read.

Several of them are stories from other people with Caidin as the writing collaborator, such as Samurai, by Sakai and Caidin; Thunderbolt, by Johnson and Caidin; and Zero, by Okumiya and Horikoshi and Caidin -- which are all excellent books.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 08:40:45 PM »
I like Caidin's books.

There might be inaccuracies in them (although people I've asked to point out the inaccuracies often can't do so), but there are also many things that are not inaccuracies, and the books are fun to read.

Several of them are stories from other people with Caidin as the writing collaborator, such as Samurai, by Sakai and Caidin; Thunderbolt, by Johnson and Caidin; and Zero, by Okumiya and Horikoshi and Caidin -- which are all excellent books.

Caiden had a leash when he co-authored books, because the other author (presumably) would correct the fantasies.  Johnson, Sakai, Okumiya and Horikoshi were able to keep things fairly straight.  The parade of fish story books probably began with "Black Thursday," hit a high with "Fork-tailed Devil," and peaked with "Flying Forts."  If you haven't found the inaccuracies, you haven't been looking.

OTOH, the books make really enjoyable reading, so long as you don't consider them to be historical.

- oldman

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 10:58:33 PM »
I read "Fork-Tailed Devil" and liked it a lot.  It's what initially got me interested in the P-38.

You say that, if I haven't found the inaccuracies in that book, I haven't been looking.

Yet, having read a great deal on WWII history (perhaps about 50 books on it) and WWII aviation (including "America's Hundred Thousand," by Dean and the definitive tome on the P-38, "The Lockheed P-38 Lightning," by Bodie), I still like "Fork-Tailed Devil".

I'm sure it's not perfect, but I don't see so many huge inaccuracies in it compared to many other such books, and don't know what causes you to dislike it so much.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 07:29:40 AM »
I'm sure it's not perfect, but I don't see so many huge inaccuracies in it compared to many other such books, and don't know what causes you to dislike it so much.

Three things, just from memory:

- The story of the Italian pilot flying the captured P-38.  There was no Italian ace named Guido Rossi.  There were no YB-40s in the Mediterranean.  There was no Major Fisher killed in the Berlin airlift.  The entire story - including tracking down "Rossi's" wife, painting her name on the nose of the plane, &c - was made up.

- The ghost P-38 landing in North Africa, with fuel long gone and pilot long dead.  You can search in vain for any other account of this remarkable story.

- Caiden's painful attempt to prove that the P-38 in the ETO really had a great kill/loss ratio.

I thought it was an interesting book, too, and I'd grown up reading all of his other books.  But "Fork-tailed Devil" was the one that made me think, "Hey, I'd better check some of this stuff out."

- oldman

Offline RJH57

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 09:39:43 AM »
I have read MANY German books about the Luftwaffe - memoirs & biographies, unit histories, its battles & campaigns, etc..  and I have yet to find a single reference to a "Gabel-Schwanz Teuffel" (i.e.  "Fork-tailed Devil") in any of them (e.g. "ACHTUNG! ACHTUNG! Gabel-Schwanz Teuffels!"). I think that term was one of Caidin's literary inventions.
            and Screw his Old Lady"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 05:19:36 PM »
Yes, there might be several incorrect items in the book.

However:

1.  Many books of that type have some incorrect items in them, like saying that the P-39 was primarily used by the Russians for ground attack or saying that the Corsair had gull wings only because of landing-gear length.

2.  Just because you can't find another source for a story doesn't prove that it is false.

3.  If there is made-up story, you don't know if Caiden made it up or was writing down what his sources told him.  I imagine that there are quite a few tall tales that ended up in lots of books.

As a result of this, you mention only one story that you know is false -- the captured P-38 story.

Anyway, even if all that is wrong, it still leaves the large majority of the book being good and entertaining, with interesting and valid information.

My feeling is that:

1.  Some people on the AH forums don't put other books through the same level of scrutiny they apply to Fork-Tailed Devil.
2.  Fork-Tailed Devil, even if they are right in their criticisms, is still to a large extent good.