Author Topic: i3 i5 i7  (Read 6636 times)

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
Re: i3 i5 i7
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 08:06:00 PM »
I would keep the 970 if I where you.
It's the first thing you need to replace in a few years anyway ( if you play other modern games)
:salute  thanks save well do :cheers:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2016, 10:08:04 AM »
:salute had to change the case because the one you suggested had no front panel, so I substituted thermaltake versea h23  atx mid tower  :cheers: think its a few dollars  difference.

Good catch. I chose about the cheapest one, just trying to figure out if a long video card would fit in. That TT looks like a well breathing case.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2016, 02:04:20 PM »
Good catch. I chose about the cheapest one, just trying to figure out if a long video card would fit in. That TT looks like a well breathing case.
:salute rgr that, morfiend  brought that to my attention yesterday about air flow through  the computer. (I always thought manufacturers would  engineer  that  in) that and how many fans a case should be.
 :salute :cheers:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2016, 02:18:26 PM »
Heh, the airflow thing is as old as the idea of a gaming computer. Back when computer parts including cases were much more expensive, modding a case for improved airflow could be considered as a serious hobby and ghetto mods were also quite popular. I recall making an air duct for the CPU fan out of a milk carton, worked pretty well! Some guy told that modding cases was far less dangerous than modifying motorcycles which he had done earlier - something that his wife appreciated after several injuries.

As for airflow, the old basic rule still applies: Cool air in from the lower front end, hot air out from the upper rear.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2016, 08:30:37 PM »
 :salute I don't know if this is  a wrinkle or not but. I read that the z170 chip set is not good over 2133mgh( something like that) and  if that is true why get ddr4 3000 ram. yes I know your confused about every thing lol also msi and asus with the z170 chip sets which one has the most meat on it? :cheers:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2016, 10:45:42 AM »
Quote from: http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-memory-scaling-intel-z170-finding-the-best-ddr4-memory-kit-speed_170340
Most all Intel Z170 boards and 6th Gen Core ‘Skylake’ processors should be able to run DDR4 memory kits ranging in speed from 2133 MHz to 3200 MHz without issue, but getting beyond 3200 MHz might involve some tweaking

According to that it sounds funny that the lowest speed would be the only stable alternative.

As for the clock rate, a higher value won't have any major effect to your frame rate, but it can make the background processes run more fluently.

An overall rule of thumb seems to be that if you can afford spending $1000 to RAM, it's your choice. If not, you can be equally happy with nominally slower and much cheaper memory. Latency and a sufficient amount is more important than clock rate.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2016, 10:58:27 AM »
I don't think that's what Intel meant when they said max memory speed supported (2133) in their specifications.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2016, 02:21:24 PM »
According to that it sounds funny that the lowest speed would be the only stable alternative.

As for the clock rate, a higher value won't have any major effect to your frame rate, but it can make the background processes run more fluently.

An overall rule of thumb seems to be that if you can afford spending $1000 to RAM, it's your choice. If not, you can be equally happy with nominally slower and much cheaper memory. Latency and a sufficient amount is more important than clock rate.
:salute latency omg something else to study up :cheers:

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2016, 09:26:20 PM »
:salute latency omg something else to study up :cheers:

Latency is the time between the RAM receiving a request from the CPU until it delivers a response.  Generally speaking, as RAM speed increases (the number of requests and responses the RAM can accept and deliver in a given amount of time) so does latency.  RAM speed is more important than latency but if two RAM chips have the same speed with differing CAS latencies, the one with lower latency will be faster.  There are many latency types but CAS latency is generally the only one you need to be concerned with.

Here's an article to check out:  http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/198894-raming-speed-does-boosting-ddr4-to-3200mhz-improve-overall-performance

The first chart shows the RAM speed equivalents across generations while the second chart clearly shows that there's little to be gained in going beyond DDR4 2400, both of which I stated in an earlier post.  That said DDR4 3200 does show a marginal gain over DDR4 2400 while DDR4 2133 is simply slow.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2016, 01:25:31 AM »
A quick glimpse through the article gave me the impression that even latency isn't that important, which leaves the right amount as the most important factor.

Of course, if there's no price difference the fastest option sounds tempting. Or the most reliable? Or something in between?

bortas1, it's good to know about these things but they aren't crucial. According to studies an average computer user won't notice any difference if the computer is 20% slower or faster by numbers. That said the most important elements in planning a gaming computer is a decent CPU, a good video card, enough memory and a good quality power supply. Slight variations within each group may not even show a single frame more or less. More can be gained by optimizing Windows processes.

Kotisivuni

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2016, 12:53:09 PM »
Latency is the time between the RAM receiving a request from the CPU until it delivers a response.  Generally speaking, as RAM speed increases (the number of requests and responses the RAM can accept and deliver in a given amount of time) so does latency.  RAM speed is more important than latency but if two RAM chips have the same speed with differing CAS latencies, the one with lower latency will be faster.  There are many latency types but CAS latency is generally the only one you need to be concerned with.

Here's an article to check out:  http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/198894-raming-speed-does-boosting-ddr4-to-3200mhz-improve-overall-performance

The first chart shows the RAM speed equivalents across generations while the second chart clearly shows that there's little to be gained in going beyond DDR4 2400, both of which I stated in an earlier post.  That said DDR4 3200 does show a marginal gain over DDR4 2400 while DDR4 2133 is simply slow.
:salute thank you for the article  :cheers:

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2016, 01:01:46 PM »
A quick glimpse through the article gave me the impression that even latency isn't that important, which leaves the right amount as the most important factor.

Of course, if there's no price difference the fastest option sounds tempting. Or the most reliable? Or something in between?

bortas1, it's good to know about these things but they aren't crucial. According to studies an average computer user won't notice any difference if the computer is 20% slower or faster by numbers. That said the most important elements in planning a gaming computer is a decent CPU, a good video card, enough memory and a good quality power supply. Slight variations within each group may not even show a single frame more or less. More can be gained by optimizing Windows processes.
:salute ok rgr that :cheers:

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2016, 11:02:52 PM »
Just browsing threw the reviews on the Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3........ and looks like a lot of DOA boards from newegg . Just a heads up , not sure if its a manufacturing issue or people dont know what their doing when building them .

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2016, 01:57:50 PM »
Just browsing threw the reviews on the Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3........ and looks like a lot of DOA boards from newegg . Just a heads up , not sure if its a manufacturing issue or people dont know what their doing when building them .
:salute ok thanks for the heads up on that. I will see if I can find anything on it. :cheers:

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2016, 02:01:52 PM »
 :salute ok what am I looking for when I look at motherboards? im not really sure what in supposed to be looking at when I review specs on them.
 :cheers: