Author Topic: AHIII HUD is unrealistic to WWII  (Read 1106 times)

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
AHIII HUD is unrealistic to WWII
« on: April 21, 2016, 08:16:55 PM »
Sorry.  but the glass immediately in front of the piper  only  displayed the shooting piper in WWII.   That is it.....     As you probably already know  the  'expanded'  WWII HUD only caters  to those that fly  military  JETS  in   sims  far superior  such as  "DCS".   DCS is an amazing open source sim,  friends fly it,   but   putting that  similar  'HUD'  experience in  WWII  does not belong.   

It  hits  Frame Rates and takes away from the technical skill required to fly  WWII Aircaft   (fly by the dials).     Heck,  Cessna 152s  and 172s  are more advanced than WWII  and don't have that  HUD  capability.

It will increase  gaming,  decrease fan-base for  WWII,  and hurt  FPS  overall for the community.

Beta 2.0  should eliminate that feature/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:18:35 PM by gldnbb »
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: AHIII HUD is unrealistic to WWII
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 08:24:11 PM »
You can disable the HUD.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 08:24:21 PM »
You can disable it

You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline Blade

• Nickel Member
      • Battoutai
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 04:25:02 AM »

:aok :aok :aok
[size=78%]Sorry.  but the glass immediately in front of the piper  only  displayed the shooting piper in WWII.   That is it.....     As you probably already know  the  'expanded'  WWII HUD only caters  to those that fly  military  JETS  in   sims  far superior  such as  "DCS".   DCS is an amazing open source sim,  friends fly it,   but   putting that  similar  'HUD'  experience in  WWII  does not belong.   
It  hits  Frame Rates and takes away from the technical skill required to fly  WWII Aircaft   (fly by the dials).     Heck,  Cessna 152s  and 172s  are more advanced than WWII  and don't have that  HUD  capability.

It will increase  gaming,  decrease fan-base for  WWII,  and hurt  FPS  overall for the community.

Beta 2.0  should eliminate that feature/
[/size]
---------------------------
Who Dares Wins
---------------------------
抜刀隊Blog http://battoutai.blogspot.com
Aces High Wiki Plus! http://www43.atwiki.jp/aceshigh/

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 07:03:42 AM »
The game uses a few unrealistic aids to compensate for drawbacks players face compared to RL pilots. Things like range icons and the HUD make up for the lack of situational awareness, depth perception and seat of the pants feedback you get when sitting at a desk in front of a monitor rather than in the cockpit of a plane.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 10:06:32 AM »
I like the option of the HUD myself. :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »
The HUD would be more useful if it showed the load factor. Since you can always feel the g load when you fly it would be the least unrealistic HUD feature to see it in any view. An option to turn off the auto pilot note on the HUD would be nice too, with a choice of which info to display, speed, alt, AP mode, and g load.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:45:15 PM by hitech »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 01:54:23 PM »
The HUD would be more useful if it showed the load factor. Since you can always feel the g load when you fly it would be the least unrealistic HUD feature to see it in any view. An option to turn off the auto pilot note on the HUD would be nice too, with a choice of which info to display, speed, alt, AP mode, and g load.

I moved the IAS\ALT HUD down onto the gunsight. Looks like it will be a boon to players who normally auger our most famous lawndart rides. It is a good visual cue to how much E you are bleeding during maneuvering or how fast you are really accelerating. Will help understand high alt air combat drawbacks. And coincidentally will help in the use of the attack angle lines on the wings of one of the P51D skins in bombing and rocket attacks.

Otherwise, for most, it will be Ohhhh, neto, cool, duood eye candy and nothing more.

I may turn the pitch ladder back on while I test the AoA bombing\rocket lines on the wings of that one P51D skin. To use those you have to memorize a laundry list of alt\speed\angle between 2000 and 11,000 feet.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 05:02:14 PM »
I moved the IAS\ALT HUD down onto the gunsight.

You can do that? I turned mine off but I may be tempted to try this.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 05:06:21 PM »
You can do that? I turned mine off but I may be tempted to try this.

Pull up GUI Options then you can click and drag everything on the screen to where you want it.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 05:07:43 PM »
Thanks!  :cheers:

Offline FishBait

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 06:44:41 PM »
I agree.
-== Hell Hounds ==- Official Pooper Scooper

I've got 99 problems, but a HO aint one.