Author Topic: A new monitor & vid card for AH3  (Read 676 times)

Offline TerryRF

• Copper Member
A new monitor & vid card for AH3
« on: May 13, 2016, 03:15:55 PM »
    I have been trying out the Beta for AH3 and some of your thoughts would be helpful in my decision.

Currently using a 21" gateway and thinking about getting a 27" BenQ GW2765. Wondering if the extra size would make the game more enjoyable as far as immersion is concerned. MaxPC mag rates this monitor as a "Kick A**" buy. Does anyone use this monitor? If so how do you like it?

I am getting 59-60 fps in the beta with a GTX 780 Ti card and thinking about a GTX 980 Ti.

Wondering if I should get both or only one.  If only one which one?

Money is not an issue. Any thoughts would be helpful, especially concerning the monitor. BTW I use TrackIR 5 for AH.
                                          This is such a great forum and source of info!  Thanks all.  <S>

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: A new monitor & vid card for AH3
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 04:03:29 PM »
Consider G-synch for your monitor selection.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 05:58:50 PM »
Wait until the end of May (the 27th) when the 1070s are out. The 1070 will eat the 980Ti for lunch from what has been said already. Worth waiting two weeks at least, just to read the reports that will be forthcoming. The BenQ that you listed is a great monitor, also. It has a refresh of 60Hz, so you will be limited to 60fps, whereas the G-Sync monitors typically can go as high as 144Hz (144fps). That is a great thing, and once you have one you won't go back to 60fps. We are currently seeing the pendulum swing toward higher resolutions, but you cannot yet have both higher resolution and G-Sync (4k + 144Hz). Manufacturers are struggling making 4k G-Sync at the moment. Probably, when those are out they won't be cheap, not at first at least.

The 1070 will run about $379 and the BenQ about the same, so your choice.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:28:43 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 07:10:56 PM »
Personally, and this is just IMO, I haven't seen a whit of difference in Aces High with Gsync enabled, from it being disabled.  I've had Gsync since it came out, a while now, 4 different monitors from 1440p 144hz to 4k 28" to 34" 100hz 1440p.  Gsync should not be one of your primary deciding factors, IF, and I stress this point, if Aces High is the only game you really play.

If however you play other stuff, particularly shooters or games like Witcher3 and that sort of thing, then yes, Gsync is a consideration, but still not the most important.  You'll get far more out of a 144hz monitor over a 60hz than you will with just Gsync for your money.  IE the 24" Asus 240$ 144hz monitor if you're on a budget is better money spent than stretching for a Gsync capable panel.

So far as the vid card, I can't stress this part enough - wait another couple weeks.  The new 1080 nVidia cards will be out at the end of the month, and then the market for 980/ti/970/etc is going to be great for a used buyer.  It's already showing signs of being great, good used deals all over on the boards I frequent, but the prices will fall dramatically even from that once the 1080s are in stock.  Also, considering the 1070 new card will outrun a current Titan, the fastest card available now, for 379$, advice for the OP is - for the love of god, wait until it comes out, and buy that instead of a 650%+ 980ti right now, if you want a new card.

If money is truly not an issue, IMO going with one of the following for Aces High would be great -

-nVidia with the new cards/drivers had really improved 3 screen surround graphics apparently.  So, going with 3 Asus 24" 144hz, or 3 of the cheaper ROG Swift 27" 144hz Gsyncs, would be amazing with a new 1080 card.

or

- I just got the new 34" Asus ROG 100hz Gsync, mrs is using it, but IMO it's better than surround with the curved screen and such, great IPS panel.

For vid cards - either wait for a great deal on a used 980ti.  By great deal, I mean less than the price of a new 1070, ie less than 400$, as the 1070 will be faster than a 980ti, so no sense in spending more on less now.  980ti owners like me have had their cards rendered obsolete and their value hammered, but thems the breaks.  If you can't get a 980ti for around 300$ish (IMO), get a 1070 in a few weeks, or a 1080 in a couple weeks (it's out first). 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:18:08 PM by Gman »

Offline TerryRF

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 11:18:21 PM »

Thanks for the great info guys. I will wait for the 1080. That seems the best way to go as far as a new video card.

As for the new monitor, I will hold off and give it more thought. You have given me much to mull over.

Thanks again for your thoughts.       :)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 09:06:51 AM »
imho you dont need a new video card.  then again, i just bought a 970 to replace my 770.  I saw no improvement.  then again, i did work a lot of ot and decided to buy me something nice.  aside from my new boots and a pair of tight 501.  at 51 I can afford to look ridiculous.  I earned it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.