Author Topic: How to gain the advantage  (Read 6596 times)

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: How to gain the advantage
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »
Debatable....depends on the person...a lot have become better sticks than a lot of the trainers and they have not had any actual "training"

Junky, I think the important difference that needs to be pointed out in this discussion is "experience" vs. "training".

Training is a focused, purpose-driven approach to learning.  Experience is learning through trial and error and bulk repetition.

The MA is a great place to get experience, because that's where many fights are to be had.  However, not everyone learns most efficiently by experience.  As you say, it depends on the person.  Some people will just repeat the same error over and over.  Some may recognize their mistakes and improve on their own.

The problem with learning by experience only is it can lead to gaps in knowledge that one isn't even aware of.  It's hard to know what you need to learn.  It's common to find A technique that works (without knowing why) and stick with it, but not ALL techniques that work (and why).  Learning only by experience can also be a slow, painful approach as well.  A single hour in the TA can often be more valuable than many hours in the MA.

Funny story: I worked with a veteran player not that long ago who was a dedicated "BnZ" guy who "has trouble with turn-fighting".  After working with him for a few minutes, I realized he was losing sight of me in our 1v1s.  This was in a Pony, which has great visibility, so it made no sense to me.  I saddled up behind him and asked him to look back and tell me when he could see me.  Turns out (long story short) he had been playing the game for many years without knowing he could use F10 to save his head positions!!  Think setting his head positions and improving his views made a difference in his ability to turn fight...??

Trainers are not supposed to be "the best sticks in the game".  Most of us don't spend enough time in the MA to pursue or maintain that level of play.  I can give you a good fight, but I will never be one of the top sticks in the game -- and I don't aspire to be. 

AH Trainers are meant to be good enough to recognize areas that can be improved upon, to be able to diagnose problems and to be able to articulate how to get better, regardless of the skill level of the trainee.  It also requires a fair amount of patience.

When I was newer to AH, I went in the DA and "trained" under several of the "best sticks" (according to their dueling results) -- as I was told by many players to do.  What I found was that some of these incredible sticks were not very good at helping others learn.  They had the skill level, but they couldn't consciously articulate what they were doing right or what I was doing wrong -- they just did it, by instinct, having learned by experience.

Look at the varied replies from veteran sticks in this thread addressing what Mike needs to learn next.  It is all good information, but none of them cut to the core of what Mike is missing -- keeping sight of the enemy.

What a Trainer can often do is find that one key thing for each player that they are struggling with to make them aware of it ("conscious incompetence") and provide a practice setting to become "consciously competent" at it.  That to me is what Training is all about.

There is always something new to learn in AH, and even veteran players can even benefit from time in the TA.  I have worked with guys who are superior sticks to me and they have all either learned something or honed their skill further in the training sessions.  Training time is not just for new players.

Anywho, that's the difference between time in the TA and the MA, in my opinion.  The best way to learn something is through training.  The best way to perfect that knowledge is through experience in the MA. 

<S>
Kingpin
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 04:15:53 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 03:28:49 PM »

Mike,

What I suggest is along the lines of what Shida said:

Get with another player (any player) and just do some mock 1v1 fighting.  Don't focus on shooting, or even better, don't shoot at all.

Just focus on flying against someone while keeping them in sight all the time.  Especially work on doing this while flying defensively.

Let them start behind you and see if you can "shake them" WHILE KEEPING THEM IN SIGHT (no looking forward!).

You need to break the habit of looking forward to maneuver and THEN looking back to see if they are still there.

Hope this helps!

<S>
Kingpin

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:34:02 PM by Kingpin »
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 09:42:35 PM »
I think Aces High players can cope with that Magic. We'd rather see your journey of improvement and some Magic kills  :rock
Ha ha . yup i agree there ,the funny thing is whenever the camera is off is when i get kills. dont ask me why that happens stage fright i guess lol.

So, are you actually wanting to improve or just make videos for the lulz/entertainment? If the latter is your primary concern I don't suspect it matters much, if you're still learning the basics such as BFM and "lose sight, lose the fight" I don't think you should even be worrying about making films but that's just me.
  actually both , see i was not born a pilot. i have very little knowledge in what to do next. i can perform all the acm and bfm but i am lacking the next step and the instinct  to do what i need to do. people watch my videos and say i should of done this or that and they may be right but if i can not visualize it and instinctively react the next time then im am stuck . thats where i am at now.

Mike,

What I suggest is along the lines of what Shida said:

Get with another player (any player) and just do some mock 1v1 fighting.  Don't focus on shooting, or even better, don't shoot at all.

Just focus on flying against someone while keeping them in sight all the time.  Especially work on doing this while flying defensively.

Let them start behind you and see if you can "shake them" WHILE KEEPING THEM IN SIGHT (no looking forward!).

You need to break the habit of looking forward to maneuver and THEN looking back to see if they are still there.

Hope this helps!

<S>
Kingpin

actually Kingpin i do this all the time with Morfiend.  problem is he is so smooth i rarely can shake him so i just try to stay out of his gun sight cause he shoots at me.  :devil

1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 10:14:04 PM »
i can perform all the acm and bfm but i am lacking the next step and the instinct  to do what i need to do. 

Consider that ACM and BFM are flown in relation to the bandit, otherwise it's just aerobatics. You can't fly relative to the bandit unless you're watching the bandit.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 10:25:58 PM »
Ha ha . yup i agree there ,the funny thing is whenever the camera is off is when i get kills. dont ask me why that happens stage fright i guess lol.
  actually both , see i was not born a pilot. i have very little knowledge in what to do next. i can perform all the acm and bfm but i am lacking the next step and the instinct  to do what i need to do. people watch my videos and say i should of done this or that and they may be right but if i can not visualize it and instinctively react the next time then im am stuck . thats where i am at now.

actually Kingpin i do this all the time with Morfiend.  problem is he is so smooth i rarely can shake him so i just try to stay out of his gun sight cause he shoots at me.  :devil

And if you can't keep them in view while fighting it's all moot anyway. Gotta walk before you run.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2016, 07:06:33 AM »
Junky
I learned how to manuever from getting beat up a lot in the DA, after I started not getting beat up as much I decided I wanted to win a KOTH round....just a round, so I started to fly the KI84 a lot...that was the plane I had spent most of my time in. After I started to win some rounds I wanted to win the event....so I practiced in many aircraft so I could compete better for the win. Now I have 5 KOTH wins in the last few years, wabbited at TOC(while hungover and puking) and can handle myself pretty much against anyone in the MA or DA (Like you said about yourself...I can give a fight). For me competition fueled my progression, the "basics" were never given to me in a "training" format which is why I posted that....and I'm sure I'm not the only one. But don't take me wrong, I do think it is the best option for most people in game if they are looking to get better....like you said a lot of good sticks don't know how to explain what they are doing or how to do something because they lack the ability to teach. But alas there are a bunch of great sticks out there in the squads that teach their new members how to fly...I see different squads in custom arenas everyday "X squad training" Some people have a lot of knowledge....they know what right is supposed to be but just don't fly it...so maybe reviewing flight films is their best option for getting better.

I just wanted to point out that there are a lot of ways to get better in Aces high.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2016, 07:06:59 AM »
Debatable....depends on the person...a lot have become better sticks than a lot of the trainers and they have not had any actual "training"
There is a saying.  "Those who can, do, those who can't, teach".  In my 50 years, some of the best in the business in what they do, are horrible teachers.  I live that example.  I am a track day driving instructor.  I can't tell you how many people I have coached that are faster than me now. 

The trainers are good at teaching, don't belittle their ability to instruct you... 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2016, 07:24:08 AM »
There is a saying.  "Those who can, do, those who can't, teach".  In my 50 years, some of the best in the business in what they do, are horrible teachers.  I live that example.  I am a track day driving instructor.  I can't tell you how many people I have coached that are faster than me now. 

The trainers are good at teaching, don't belittle their ability to instruct you...
I didn't mean to belittle and if they were from that comment they need to toughen up. Patches comment was that it's the best way to learn Aces High...if there are players who are top sticks in the game without any formal training....how could it have been the best for them?

All I was getting at is there are a lot of other ways people learn to play Aces High....don't think I don't notice half the AKs fly similar to AKDogg....or half of anti horde do the same reverse everytime like Sawzaw does....heck even the v yards had a thing for flying 190 like 1jblaser, that would have been an example of what not to do gameplay wise but it kept the boobs in his squad alive a little longer. Putting out there are a lot of ways for people to learn....just like there are many different ways to teach.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2016, 07:53:54 AM »
Patches comment was that it's the best way to learn Aces High...if there are players who are top sticks in the game without any formal training....how could it have been the best for them?
I have to agree with Patches. A trainer IS the best way to learn, no where in there did Patches say it's the only way, or without years of trial and error that you could be better.  Clearly though, there are many paths some leading to better results. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2016, 09:29:55 AM »
ROFLMFAO - This thread sums up the AH community perfectly.

• Hey can I get some help in this?
  • sure - try thinking this way
  • Ignore that idiot, you want to try doing it that way not this way
  • Are you mad?  what you said sux.  You should do the other...
  • nahhh...ahhh...ahhh....what the first guy said was good but he left out what the 5th guy said but no need to worry about that because you can just pull a 9th guy roll IF you can keep an eye on him.

Truth is -there is a learning curve.  For a new guy trying to go from 1 to 3 there are options.  If you are at 5 then you need to get to 7...there are options....

You have to decide where you are at and ask for specific help. 

I just love the fact this community cannot support without hurting......."hey dude, pull this move!!!  Ignore what fu@kW1t said......

Scale of AH  1 to 10

I am a level 4 fighter pilot.  I can teach you what I know.  It works against level 3 guys 80% of the time and against the level 4 guys 20% of the time.

Play the 80/20 rule and ignore these guys unless they take you flying and help.

Hope I have been some help

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2016, 12:33:59 PM »

• nahhh...ahhh...ahhh....what the first guy said was good but he left out what the 5th guy said but no need to worry about that because you can just pull a 9th guy roll IF you can keep an eye on him.

Truth is -there is a learning curve.  For a new guy trying to go from 1 to 3 there are options.  If you are at 5 then you need to get to 7...there are options....

You have to decide where you are at and ask for specific help. 

I just love the fact this community cannot support without hurting......."hey dude, pull this move!!!  Ignore what fu@kW1t said......

Scale of AH  1 to 10

I am a level 4 fighter pilot.  I can teach you what I know.  It works against level 3 guys 80% of the time and against the level 4 guys 20% of the time.

Play the 80/20 rule and ignore these guys unless they take you flying and help.

Hope I have been some help

haha Fess it does seem to work out that way somedays.
 when people post help when i ask,  everybodys answer is equal in my book . i try them all ,and rather then say later hey your post was BS and did not help , i just say thank you all for your help.
 because in my opinion anybody who offers help deserves credit for the offering.
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2016, 12:37:26 PM »

That's strange. I really haven't had that impression from this thread at all. I saw a lot of offers of help, advice profered with some normal discussion about it, several films and some solid advice from some experienced players.

Quite proud of this community for that actually.

<Shrug>

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2016, 02:21:21 PM »
For me competition fueled my progression, the "basics" were never given to me in a "training" format which is why I posted that...

But don't take me wrong, I do think it is the best option for most people in game if they are looking to get better...

I just wanted to point out that there are a lot of ways to get better in Aces high.

OK. Then it appears you do agree with me (and Patches).   Training isn't the ONLY way to get better -- it is just the BEST way to get better.  (That's what Patches said, which you then said was "debatable".  For the record: I didn't think you were trying to belittle the trainers.  I just thought your comment may have been misinterpreted by others who may read this and think that time in the TA isn't beneficial, which is why I posted.  Thanks for clarifying your comment.)

By "best", I mean the most efficient way to learn.  Players getting good without formal training doesn't mean they wouldn't have benefited from it. It probably just took them more time than it could have.

Applying what is learned in practice and actual fights in the MA, DA and elsewhere (especially against the "top sticks" in the game, like in King of the Hill events) is also an important part of the learning process as well. 

A smart and competitive player will take advantage of all these resources to hone their skills.

<S>
Kingpin

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:11:16 PM by Kingpin »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2016, 02:50:07 PM »
Before "formal training" scares away any more players let me point out that training is typically just another player, who is a trainer, telling you what they notice about your flying, suggesting improvements, and explaining how and why things work or don't work.  This is an advantage.   :D

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2016, 04:25:32 PM »
Before "formal training" scares away any more players let me point out that training is typically just another player, who is a trainer, telling you what they notice about your flying, suggesting improvements, and explaining how and why things work or don't work.  This is an advantage.   :D

Good point.  Maybe "formal" is the wrong word.  "Focused" or "organized", maybe?

Once a key area for improvement is identified, usually what I do is set up a couple exercises to work specifically on that one thing. We then run through it a few times until they feel like they are improving it or at least understand the fundamentals.  This is what I mean by "formal".  It isn't just two guys dueling and trying to shoot each other (though we do that too.)

Take for example some practice I did with OddCAF the other day:  He said he has trouble with turn fighting, especially when winding up in a flat scissors.  So, I had him fly on a certain heading until I could line up co-E directly off his 3/9 line about 800 yards out and then we would turn into each-other with the intent of entering a flat scissors.  We did this several times while I suggested ways of improving, until he felt like he was getting better (which he did). It was "formal" in the sense that it was organized with a specific intent -- we had some good fights, talked about specific techniques, joked around some and had fun, all while he learned the basic keys to successful flat scissors.  In fact, he PM'd me after Monday Night Madness this week and told me he was doing more turn-fighting and had some fun fights using the flat scissors on Monday night.

Training should be both educational and fun.  This IS a game, after all.

Getting better and winning more tends to increase people's fun factor as well!

<S>
Kingpin
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 05:26:00 PM by Kingpin »