Author Topic: the lengths some people go...  (Read 16796 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
the lengths some people go...
« on: May 21, 2016, 01:15:15 PM »
...to have 0% chance of dying, why not save the $15 and play offline?   Or is it so that your score/stats can give the illusion that there was some danger, being you were in the Late War Arena.

Just logged out of LW after upping to follow an incoming red dot.  Got my 202 to 12k when the red dot became three tiny black dots, way over my head.  Extrapolating a bit, that means he is more than 6k above or 18,000 feet over my head.  So this guy is bombing from at least 30k, in a grid with only one enemy plane, in an arena with 115 total players and 240 bases.  Pure excitement.

Fought a P-51 the other day.  He ran to ack immediately after blowing his advantage.  Rinse, repeat until he finally ran home for good.  Again, I was in a C.202.  How much more advantage can I give up to get a fight?

AH3 can't get here fast enough, because most of the people left playing AH2 seem to have no interest in any combat that they might lose.  :rolleyes:
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: the lengths some people go...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 01:19:21 PM »
For ever and Ever ahmen
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 01:35:41 PM »
The sad part is that most people who fly this timidly still have a terrible score, and they will never improve flying this way. It's pretty much the worst type of flying on top of boredom.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 01:51:49 PM »
Some people enjoy simulating a WWII combat environment.  Aces High ain't quite that... but it's the closest thing out there.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 02:03:38 PM »
mandatory alt limits when <300 players

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »
Pay my subscription costs and I'll fly "your" way, until them I'm going have fun my way.   :devil
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 02:48:01 PM »
Some people enjoy simulating a WWII combat environment.  Aces High ain't quite that... but it's the closest thing out there.

I'm no historian but there few single ship bombing missions during WWII over enemy airspace that was covered by one fighter, lol.  Please discontinue use of the phrase "WWII combat simulation" hahaha.  That requires combat.  Not altfairyness.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 02:50:09 PM »
Pay my subscription costs and I'll fly "your" way, until them I'm going have fun my way.   :devil

Are you actually "playing" or just MS Flight simming (with toon bombs)when no combat occurs?  Practicing high alt navigation?  Or my fav, saving fuel....
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 03:45:38 PM »
Flying to lose is, well....stupid.

Who the hell flies to lose? I fly to win! If you can't catch me, tough tutu. If you take off too late and can't get alt, I'm not going to blow 15k of alt just so you can shoot at me.

You know where the excitement is? Watching your base and town get blown to pieces while you gawk helplessly to stop it.

So keep sitting there on the deck hoping and praying for someone to dive down to you, and put their tail right in your gunsight. Then you can come here and complain about it some more.

White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 03:51:37 PM »
Blooz, running away is not flying to win either.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 03:53:13 PM »
I'm no historian but there few single ship bombing missions during WWII over enemy airspace that was covered by one fighter, lol.  Please discontinue use of the phrase "WWII combat simulation" hahaha.  That requires combat.  Not altfairyness.

Whatever.  Feel free to make an offer to pay my subscription and I'll consider participating in AH in a manner consistent with whatever you deem necessary.  Between now and then, whining about those who attempt to make AH, for them, something other than the typical modern version of pointy-clicky  :joystick: hoohooweeweebangbang  :x console game, is free and limitless.  Enjoy.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 04:17:46 PM »
Flying to lose is, well....stupid.

Who the hell flies to lose? I fly to win! If you can't catch me, tough tutu. If you take off too late and can't get alt, I'm not going to blow 15k of alt just so you can shoot at me.

You know where the excitement is? Watching your base and town get blown to pieces while you gawk helplessly to stop it.

So keep sitting there on the deck hoping and praying for someone to dive down to you, and put their tail right in your gunsight. Then you can come here and complain about it some more.

+1

real war, fly smart or die.
AH simulation, peeps demand real life style combat, until they realize its mostly boring for hours on end except for 30 secs of abject fear, then they want unreal war play for its entertainment value. Truly amazing the stances peeps will take to force what they say they do not really want, in their game play, something unreal.
I imagine peeps methods would change if there was a 5 min time limit for staying dead......................... .........
 :salute
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 04:33:56 PM »
+1

real war, fly smart or die.
AH simulation, peeps demand real life style combat, until they realize its mostly boring for hours on end except for 30 secs of abject fear, then they want unreal war play for its entertainment value. Truly amazing the stances peeps will take to force what they say they do not really want, in their game play, something unreal.
I imagine peeps methods would change if there was a 5 min time limit for staying dead......................... .........
 :salute

Yeah, I'd find a new game.

Realistic flying is fine, even preferred, in special events. But in the MA, fight or go home.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 05:02:25 PM »
I have ben spending more and more time in World Of Warships.  I share the very same frustration as the OP and it has come to the point where there are more runners than fighters.  I accept that it is your $15 and you can chose to play it your way.  I just think it is a shame that a combat game has so many who actively seek to avoid combat.

AH3 will not change anything.  The mentality will remain.

And, for those who put forward the 'play like it is real' argument, I echo the OP's comment - why not just play offline?  If you are going to avoid combat where is the point in being in an arena with other people?

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 05:22:17 PM »
Could be a misassumption that people pay $15 a month for combat. More likely to a lot of players it's $15 worth of 'win' no matter how they get it.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss