Author Topic: Perk the 88-mm  (Read 6058 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: Perk the 88-mm
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 02:13:49 AM »

Absolutely not.

Still gets a recorded kill <shrug>
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 07:15:03 AM »
I spend a good percentage of my AH time looking for a fight. While I agree vulching is lame gameplay . . .

The easy shooting range of an 88 is under 4K for the best shooters.  Under 3K for good 88 shooters.  2K and under for average 88 shooter.

You can see if you do not hoover over a red field the 88 is not an issue.

Unfortunately, a large number of players claim looking for a good fight when they should be posting, ". . . looking for an easy fight."

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:25:02 AM by Randy1 »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 07:15:45 AM »
being there for vulchers is really no excuse, the vulchee has the time and ability to lift from a base further behind the line.

The aeroplane has the ability to stay out of 88mm range.

- oldman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 07:46:35 AM »

- oldman

Yes it does, the but issue is while I'm circling out side the range of the 88 the other guy is sitting in his 88 waiting. No fight again.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 07:47:33 AM »
Unfortunately, a large number of players claim looking for a good fight when they should be posting, ". . . looking for an easy fight."

And unfortunately, a large number of forum posters make un-informed, overly-generalised assumptions. I'll take any fight at all. If you fly on my timezone even upping from a vulched field is a luxurious increment over the usual - nothing at all.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 09:24:16 AM »
I'm pretty sure the 88 or manned guns have the most kills on record do they not?

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 10:36:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure the 88 or manned guns have the most kills on record do they not?

In 2015, all manned guns combined were responsible for about 8% of all recorded plane deaths (and about 35% of all deaths by 'ground to air fire', of course including proxies).

However, the vast majority of these were made by the dreaded proximity fused ship 5 inchers. the 88 has only a small share, most probably even much less than the mannable base small acks. That's because it's actually quite difficult to score consistent kills with that slow turning, slow firing time fused gun. Getting anything other than the occasional freak kill against anything not being a 10k bomber flying directly overhead is a task so difficult only very few have mastered it.
In its current form, the 88 is mostly just a distracting annoyance for any fighter maneuvering nearby, and relatively easy to avoid.

I can fully understand the OPs frustration of getting no fight during his hours. However, perking the 88 would hardly improve anything, as the operator would simply move to a differend manned ack, or roll a Wirbel or Ostie. The lack of fights (or battles) is not a result of having ground guns in the game, nor would their removal (or tighter control) improve the general problem.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:42:59 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 11:56:58 AM »

- oldman
:rolleyes:
 :bhead

You should know better
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 12:36:01 PM »
I can fully understand the OPs frustration of getting no fight during his hours. However, perking the 88 would hardly improve anything, as the operator would simply move to a differend manned ack, or roll a Wirbel or Ostie. The lack of fights (or battles) is not a result of having ground guns in the game, nor would their removal (or tighter control) improve the general problem.

It's too bad you can't separate the stats specifically for the type of ground gun, because to me it seems the 88-mm is now the go-to solution for a fighter near an enemy base. It wasn't this way a year ago. As you say, for the hours I am able to fly it is now increasingly difficult to engage in air combat. The tactic of 'bothering' an enemy base to encourage uppers, then equalizing energy states (me deliberately blowing energy, even outnumbered) to encourage a fight is now closed to me. Not being in a squad large or co-ordinated enough to form a genuine threat I'm rather running out of methods. Perhaps the OP was less seriously intended and more to raise awareness about the general frustration of non-flyers in this allegedly air combat-centred game.

And yes I agree the ship guns are ridiculously accurate. Had they been this way in real-life YouTube would not be as replete with kamikaze attack footage as it is! Random.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2016, 02:23:30 PM »

And yes I agree the ship guns are ridiculously accurate. Had they been this way in real-life YouTube would not be as replete with kamikaze attack footage as it is! Random.

The Mark 12 5"/38 caliber gun was far more accurate in real life than what AH portrays.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2016, 02:53:03 PM »
I do a lot of attack work dropping hangers, ords, CVs and the like using heavy fighters.  I describe escaping after dropping and shooting ords on  a CV rare event.  A large airfield one free pass on average.  A medium 1 1/2 and and a small field 2 passes. The keyword here is average.

The average 88 shooter at a GV field field seems to be better than the average shooter at an airfield.  Ship shooters number one.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2016, 03:02:23 PM »

The average 88 shooter at a GV field field seems to be better than the average shooter at an airfield.  Ship shooters number one.

There is a reason why it's easier to shoot down planes with the 5 inch guns on a CV fleet than with the 88mm on any field.  The main reason is rate of fire and the proximity fuse on the 5 inch guns.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2016, 03:09:48 PM »
The Mark 12 5"/38 caliber gun was far more accurate in real life than what AH portrays.

I don't know what particular gun that is or where it's mounted, but if I try to chase some lametard into his CV ack I end up like Porkins in Star Wars. Can't exactly say what shot me but I can never get through like the Japanese apparently did against the American fleets. Not even close.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
Nish, sure perk the 88 but then you have to give perks for kills.... :noid  Since you cant separate them it would be all manned guns,this would lead to players using the 5 in guns to farm perks.... and so on....   Be careful what you ask for you might just get it!!!

:salute

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2016, 05:35:19 PM »
I don't know what particular gun that is or where it's mounted, but if I try to chase some lametard into his CV ack I end up like Porkins in Star Wars. Can't exactly say what shot me but I can never get through like the Japanese apparently did against the American fleets. Not even close.

The Mark 12 5"/38 caliber gun is the 5 inch gun we have in our CV task groups and the 5 inch rounds are modeled with proximity fuses.