Author Topic: First time in Beta  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Zardoz

• Copper Member
First time in Beta
« on: June 30, 2016, 01:25:18 PM »
I have been very skeptical about AHIII since I have been pretty happy with the current version.

I flew around in the beta after installing my new gtx 750ti

only 2gb on the card and 4gb on the desktop itself (GA-H55-USB3) stock 420 watt power supply.

55/60 fps with most eye candy maxed out. (I think I turned off the shadows, but that's just because it was distracting...)

The visuals are just stunning!

When HiTech and crew get the bugs out of this and do a little advertising there is nothing in the combat sim universe that can touch it. I predict this will be a big winner.

:salute

Your incessant whining just adds entertainment value to my gaming experience :cool:

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Re: First time in Beta
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 02:03:31 PM »
Ya, looks pretty good and maxed out I'm holding between 50-59fr.  Coming along nicely. 
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 03:43:08 PM »
I have been in there quite a bit. Really liking what I see. It will change the game as there are gv bases with hills and trees on them. Airstrip can be hard to find when on the deck as they do not stick out like in AHII.

It is getting close to going hot.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 05:18:59 PM »
The blended in hard to see air bases may be a concession to the complaints about running to ack. From what I remember from all my years of flying, airfields are not always easy to see until you are almost on top of them. That is why you learn to navigate and keep in contact with the tower.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline madrid311

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 11:59:29 PM »
I have been trying to go in at least once a day. I have to say it really is amazing. The friggin trees explode leaves when you shot therm and the reflections and scratches on the canopy from inside looking out is just plain cool. I can't wait.
Quote from: hitech on Yesterday at 11:15:04 AM              
         I am happy you are having fun. HiTech                                                  
                  In game name : GunFTR

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 01:14:52 PM »
I flew my first time in beta today. Havent flown AH in a long time. I started flying back in AH1.

All I can say is amazing, amazing, amazing.  I got mixed up in a fight and the visuals were awesome. Also the sounds, clouds, shadows, water, effects...just awesome.
Could not be happier to be back

Job well done! <S>
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:17:22 PM by Zeagle »
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 04:18:05 PM »
Graphics wise the beta is a step back from AH2 in my opinion from the air.  The Gv or ground view is a big step forward.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 04:20:22 PM »
Graphics wise the beta is a step back from AH2 in my opinion from the air. 

:headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

What makes you say that?
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 08:03:25 PM »
Ya Randy, why do you say that?

I thing they have done a great job both from the air and the ground. The ground war should be very different from what we have now. More places to hide major elevation changes should really change up the GV war. They may have to bring back the old style range for icons with all the trees and things the vehicle can hide behind.

The air war should be more interesting due to the new layouts of the towns and bases. It's too bad they couldn't made the map setup so the the base/town areas are only "place holder" so that instead of rebuilding maps to change anything they could plug in new fields and town by data sheet. Change a number set and the fields are moved around. Almost like a new map instantly. Until the players figure out the new "easiest" way to do things, the new layouts should make it fun.

Offline DarkHawk

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 09:39:57 AM »
If you have not been in the GV war in beta on Thursday night you are missing something
like GV radar. It helps but is still hard to find he enemy
49DHawk
XO for BOWL (DHawk)

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 12:04:16 PM »
I like all the small details, that the moon has it's real life phases, the milky way and that the pole star seems to be at different height over the horizon depending on what latitude (on the map) you are on (could be just an illusion though) . And the owl of course.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:28:08 PM by Zimme83 »
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 10:23:28 PM »
I like all the small details, that the moon has it's real life phases, the milky way and that the pole star seems to be at different height over the horizon depending on what latitude (on the map) you are on (could be just an illusion though) . And the owl of course.

It is not an illusion.  Latitude is one of the inputs to the terrain generator made by the terrain designer.  AH3 accurately models the stars and the moon.  So, for example, if some historical mission occurred on a full moon night, and you input the proper date into the game, then the game will show a full moon as well, accurately placed in the sky.  I know... I've checked the beta against a planetarium program.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 06:42:52 AM »
:headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

What makes you say that?

The fuzzy instrument panel in planes unless you use default fov.  The news paper, cartoon strip, like colors that you see from air to ground and the lack of color, contrast in the general land terrain.  The trees are really bad from the air.  As I posted before the ground level views from a gv or landed plane are much improved.

I don't mean this to be a slap on HTC face.  Just feedback as I see the beta.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 06:50:38 AM »
I have to say the default FOV is way too narrow for my tastes...  Widening it changes a lot of stuff for the bad...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 06:52:27 AM »
Any video card suggestions?

My current rig will barely run the Beta.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)