Author Topic: Uber skilled MA vets  (Read 2749 times)

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
Uber skilled MA vets
« on: July 02, 2016, 12:06:07 AM »
Today's MA is much different then ten years ago. Half the roster have 5 plus years of experience and a good amount I can recall seeing their names back in the aw days. I could only imagine the frustration for a new player jumping into the MA shark tank of today.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: Uber skilled MA vets
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 12:35:21 AM »
When I started AcesHigh, I thought 99% were vet MA Sharks.
A little determination gets you places. :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 01:09:30 AM »
A little determination gets you places.

Good lord, when I started AW, it seemed like everyone else was a merciless god. 

You expect that in a new game you're not going to start out equal to the veterans.  At least, I hope you do.  You're playing juvenile games if you don't.

Had a very pleasant half hour in Beta tonight with someone who is transitioning from GVs to aeroplanes.  He was eager to work on his merges, over and over and over again.  That's the kind of person who fits in a niche game.

- oldman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 06:01:57 AM »
That is why the new "FREE" games are so popular, you can buy better equipment to make yourself less vulnerable. Sad but true.

Some say they do not have the time to put into learning a game. That means you have no time to game. In days past you would not have played. You can't play chess. You can't play checkers. You can't play baseball, etc.

To think, all the new "FREE" games started with cheat codes in Nintendo.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 07:47:09 AM »
That is why the new "FREE" games are so popular, you can buy better equipment to make yourself less vulnerable. Sad but true.

Could be.. but why couldn't the 'other' guy just buy better equipment too? Wouldn't that make you more vulnerable all over again? 
- TWBYDHAS

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 08:46:23 AM »
Could be.. but why couldn't the 'other' guy just buy better equipment too? Wouldn't that make you more vulnerable all over again?
Because some actually want a free game. Those that want to pay to look good will. Not that they are any good at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 09:00:06 AM »
like any game, skill level plateaus.  some 9 years ago it took me three months to get a kill, was the same day i joined a squad.

:salute

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 09:06:58 AM »
A little determination gets you places. :old:

When I first started playing in AW I remember being frustrated in how many kills IO was getting because I..like most people figured I would just start playing and start tearing people up. Then having looked up how many kills the average pilot racked up in a day in WWII (not many) I remember arguing with someone and proudly spouting off that I had 5 kills that day...the entire day. And I was quite proud of myself with this.

My opponent who's name I do not recall replied with. "LMAO, I got 5 kills my last flight"

It was quite some time before I could make the same claim
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 09:28:58 AM »
Ive been playing 10 years and I still die relentlessly, but I have a great time doing it!

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 09:59:45 AM »
I became more competitive against the vets years ago when I grew some balls and went to the DA with a few of them. In a short time I leared a lot from getting beat over and over.

To be successful and to be competitive is different IMO.

BNZ and flying where the chance of death is low isn't hard if you have SA. (Did this prior to having a clue what ACM was...k/d was higher but K/T was low...that's how we know who you timid ladies are.)

But a lot of times that same stick will get another one over top of them and often die quite quickly or dive away to friendly/ack.

The competitive sticks can control a furball from the advantage(notice the world furball, not just a plane below them) and fight themselves out of a position of disadvantage to get the advantage back.

These days I feel the average MA stick skill is higher then years ago...and I think there is more competition at the top...even though there are some timid sticks up there for sure...just look at top 50 fighters this tour...half them are lady boys I bet....maybe I'll just post which ones are later. :)
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline KiLrGrampa

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 01:01:29 PM »
A view from a returning player:

IMHO, the MA is much more competitive now than when I played AH I and II in beta.
It is harder to survive in a bomber (F4's diving on you from 20K) and every Pony dweeb knows how to BnZ. There are fewer mass fights and kills are harder to get. Early and Mid -war planes take even more skill than ever to get kills and land 'em. Makes the TA even more important, yet there are fewer people in the TA when I log on than in the past. 

The game is different, but the enjoyment is the same: shooting at targets and getting kills. My only wish is to have more missions available.

Love the game - see you in the virtual skies!
 :aok

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 09:23:49 PM »
A view from a returning player

Good to have you back, dude.

- oldman

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 02:40:05 AM »
 :headscratch:
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 09:35:59 AM »
Should we all start sucking?  If not, is there something that needs to change?
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 09:49:40 AM »
I have had the impression that there are fewer people that are really good at this stuff in game now. I have noticed that dropping off for several years now.
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!