Author Topic: The Merge  (Read 5480 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: The Merge
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 01:06:36 PM »
If you do find yourself at 6K with another player zooming up....start a flat turn fight. In that situation he will be more nose up turning try to get around to you which is going to scrub a lot of his E...depending on the plane I wouldn't drop flaps unless he started coming around, this will insure you have the E advantage and you should be able to manuever behind them because you will be able to low yo yo to take lead pursuit when you do dump flaps....it's the same concept as a spiral climb but you just aren't climbing....burning their E whill saving some of yours to get a kill shot.

As far as the merge, I cruise around at 5K at the start...a lot go to the limit but you're just asking to have too much E in the merge.

In KI84 rounds I won't go above 360 TAS because at that speed I can spiral climb to 6K....if my opponent has more E..I know I can zoom climb to the highest point he can go...you are better off playing angles unless you start with an alt advantage, at which point you should be E fighting him.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 04:31:33 PM »
Although I am not a KOTH event vet (as they are usually held at times I can't attend) we've done a lot of squad practice with alt caps in custom arena's with a violent wind layer at the cap alt and I've fought in Monday Madness which has an alt cap that a lot of people fly at or near, so the tactics are similar.

A few concepts that may be important for you to explore/understand, if you don't already, are one-circle vs. two-circle fights, turn radius vs. turn rate and corner speed vs. sustained turn speed.

That may sound very technical, but it's actually kind of simple in application.  The initial decision (at or before the merge) will be: do you want to fight one-circle or two-circle? This can be based on recognizing a speed difference between you and your opponent (or a matter of preference based on what you are good at). 

If you know going into the merge whether you are faster or slower than your opponent (based on SA), or if you can suss that out during the first merge, that can help you decide what type of turn (or merge) to push for.  Generally speaking, if you are carrying more speed than your enemy, then pushing for a two-circle fight (turning nose-to-tail) will be better (which is kind of what Junky described in his flat turn with speed scenario above).  If you have less speed than your enemy, then going one-circle (nose-to-nose turn or scissors fight) will be better, because you will be able to turn inside their turn radius (as Violator describes in his suggestions above).

In other words, if you think you are slower, or are in a position to get slower more quickly than your opponent, go scissors fight and turn inside them.  If you are faster and can maintain that energy advantage, you might be better turning nose to tail and using turn rate (instead of turn radius) to win position.  Knowing both ways of turn fighting is important because a fight can transition back and forth, such as a rolling-scissors (two circle) fight becoming a defensive scissors (one circle).

Knowing the "speed stuff" (corner speed and sustained turn) can be helpful as well, as it will let you know when to use what vertical space you have to control your speed.  For example, if you know you are above corner speed, you can turn slightly nose up (assuming starting at 5K in the scenario you described) to scrub some speed and get closer to corner speed which will get you to max turn rate.  If you are slower than you want to be, you can make a nose down turn (or low yo-yo) to gain speed in the turn (which was also described above).  Knowing the best sustained turn configuration (flaps setting) and speed for a given aircraft can help if you do wind up in a protracted nose-to-tail chase (lufbery) fight.

Angle fights aren't always about out-scissoring your opponent, but they do often wind up there, especially once you've gained position and your opponent goes guns defensive.  So, some scissors practice is always good.  But if you've gotten to that point, you've won the merge part of the fight!

Hope this helps some too.

By they way, posting some AH films of your merges and fights in the films section might be a good way to get feedback as well.

<S>
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:50:57 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 10:11:07 PM »
Kingpin what time do you normally play??? US primetime KOTH is coming back next month and it would be awesome to have ya there  :salute
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 11:04:39 PM »
Kingpin what time do you normally play??? US primetime KOTH is coming back next month and it would be awesome to have ya there  :salute

I'm on the west coast and more of a night owl, so usually near the end or after US primetime.  However, I try to schedule exceptions for events, training and whatnot.  So, keep me posted!

Thanks for asking.
<S>
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 05:01:01 PM »
I just wanted to add a point to the replies here.

If you're both presumably at max cruising speed at 5k, you're co-E.  If you as TC suggested try to gain vertical separation, which means diving to gain a lower position entering the merge, you're still co-E.   A low fast plane can have the same E as a higher slower plane. 

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 05:06:15 PM »

If you're both presumably at max cruising speed at 5k, you're co-E.  If you as TC suggested try to gain vertical separation, which means diving to gain a lower position entering the merge, you're still co-E.   A low fast plane can have the same E as a higher slower plane.

Good lord!  Who the heck are you? :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 05:29:49 PM »
Good lord!  Who the heck are you? :)

Just some old fogy that started flying online 20+ years ago, nobody important.

Hi Dan  :rock

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 06:36:46 PM »
Just some old fogy that started flying online 20+ years ago, nobody important.

Hi Dan  :rock

Back for AH3 or just visiting?    :D

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 09:31:41 PM »
He looks funny with out a guitar in his hands   :D

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 06:18:58 AM »
How is the 6k cap enforced in koth?

Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016, 10:31:01 AM »
Cloud layer at 6k with maximum updraft above it.  People are always recording if necessary, and the host is watching.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2016, 10:55:20 AM »
How is the 6k cap enforced in koth?
Bruv and I fly around in CM eye mode. Also there is a lot of integrity within the KOTH vets so you really don't have to worry about it too much
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2016, 02:09:31 PM »

Potential E (altitude) and Kinetic E (Speed).  What you have to watch for is turn radius at high speed if you are going from low to high at high speed. In Real Life (Not sure it is modeled here) the  aircraft pulling up has a  turn radius which is naturally bigger...because you are fighting G. The downward turning aircraft has the G helping him.  So essentially a constant 4G indicated turn in the pure vertical is shaped like an egg....Bigger on the bottom (fighting G), and smaller up top (G helping...). BUT...if you get a good lead turn in as the bottom aircraft, and meet your opponent in the near vertical (he is going down, you are going up...you essentially reversed the advantage).  If he denies you the lead turn, well...it becomes a fight what you see:)
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member