Author Topic: Screen White out  (Read 775 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Screen White out
« on: August 04, 2016, 06:36:40 PM »
I finally purchased a new system. For AH2 it allows me to play with all the eye candy and still get frame rates in the 40 range. I have a GE950 graphics card.

When I go into AH3 I get a crazy white screen with some weird lines. I can literally see nothing but some outlines, like when I bring the clipboard up. I am guessing it is likely a hardware thing though I am not running into screen issues anywhere else. Suggestions?

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline mako04

• Zinc Member
Re: Screen White out
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 06:52:42 PM »
turn down gamma in graphics settings, it is likely set to max.
MDBGA! Making Dive Bombing Great Again.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 04:43:14 AM »
How does one see the slider if it is an all white screen?  My guess is that you may have to edit a line in a particular file.  Hopefully, removing a file or folder will correct this.  I have seen others complain of the same and have heard it was actually like mako said the gamma setting was set to max.  Also, good luck in AH3 with the GTX950 gpu.  Although it appears to be capable of running the game (maybe even quite well) it will not be anywhere near tops in performance.

To give other Nvidia gpu shoppers a heads up.  900 series is rather new only a couple of years old.  Performance wise the second group of numbers usually are what to look for (an example my GTX580 was released in 2011, but the performance of my 80 level card could possibly have many advantages to your 50 level card. 

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 05:46:19 AM »
  Also, good luck in AH3 with the GTX950 gpu.  Although it appears to be capable of running the game (maybe even quite well)...

It does ideed run it quite well.

... it will not be anywhere near tops in performance.

unfortunately, top performance usually also costs top money.

So far, my GTX 950 could handle everything I have thrown at it reasonably well. Mind you, I don't have (or plan to have) a 4k screen  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 06:39:43 AM »
Yes, so far the game runs well in my opinion also.  I just try and add the disclaimer when someone has new equipment or give comparisons to AH2 performance.  For instance, someone I have known rather well from early years of AH was in beta and reporting framerates in the teens.  He had turned down the usual clutter and even disabled all the lighting effects.   Once I explained about the Environment Map sider setting to "none" he reported back immediately 59 fps.

I would suggest the default setting should be "none".  That way if there were a need for testing the sliders effects it could be directed to do so.  As it is, there will be false conceptions about first time player's system compatibility.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 08:13:38 AM »
You have a valid point there, Chilli. Too many times people have been ranting about poor performance despite their systems being "new". "New" is not a synonym for "powerful".

That said, the 950 is a decent card when you don't try to push it too hard. For 4k gaming it most likely will produce a stunning slide show.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline mako04

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 11:33:23 AM »
Chilli...to answer your question...It is not solid white there are some pink and purple lines...but mostly, 99.9 percent white.  You can still bring up the clipboard and see well enough to adjust the gamma.
MDBGA! Making Dive Bombing Great Again.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 01:06:13 PM »
Uh... pink and purple lines? Is the clipboard a denser mess of such lines? That sounds like a video card issue. Stressing the GPU with some DirectX stress test might reveal if that'd be the issue. https://www.google.com/search?q=directx+gpu+stress+test&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=JtWkV4tsk8uwAYCShtAM.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 07:53:32 PM »
I had the white screen and had imported settings, went by a prior post and deleted the video.cfg file from the settings folder restarted the game and all is well now.
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 06:17:31 AM »
I had the white screen and had imported settings, went by a prior post and deleted the video.cfg file from the settings folder restarted the game and all is well now.

I wish you had not done that.  We would really like to have gotten our hands on that file.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 09:27:45 PM »
Gamma was the winner...thanks!

And the 950 handled everything just fine. I will log in an play with the settings a bit but I maxed out what I could and kept a frame rate of 50+ the whole time.

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton