Author Topic: Book recomendation  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Book recomendation
« on: August 14, 2016, 09:21:56 PM »
Im looking for a good book on PT boat operations in the Pacific, most of all the Guadalcanal and Solomans campaigns. A good inclusive book on torpedo boats would be nice but Im primarily interested in their actual effectiveness in interrupting IJN/IJA troop and supply/resupply/convoy operations in WW2. Thanks.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Book recomendation
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 09:38:57 PM »
Bern Keating, "The Mosquito Fleet," if you can find it in your library.

- oldman

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 10:24:50 PM »
Im looking for a good book on PT boat operations in the Pacific, most of all the Guadalcanal and Solomans campaigns. A good inclusive book on torpedo boats would be nice but Im primarily interested in their actual effectiveness in interrupting IJN/IJA troop and supply/resupply/convoy operations in WW2. Thanks.

PT 105 by Dick Keresey
Hell on Keels: The Saga of Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 12 by Rick Desloge
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 06:00:20 AM »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 01:03:01 PM »
Might as well start with the first book "They were Expendable"
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 04:28:16 PM »
They filmed a lot of that John Wayne movie where I grew up........but before I was born.

If any of you vacationed at ocean city, NJ as a kid......you will remember this one.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:44:24 PM by icepac »

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 10:19:26 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys. Sorry it took so long to get back. Im going to order a few this week.

I want to hear words from the sailors who actually fought in them and have always wondered how much impact they had in the war. I do know the IJN had to change tactics because of them and their constant weapons upgrades gave them a big bite for their size. The Pacific naval war at night always interested me.

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 10:46:48 PM »
Not much PT action, but a lot of night surface engagements during the Guadalcanal campaign are in "Neptune's Inferno" by James Hornfischer.  All of his books are great.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 02:57:14 PM »
Well I bought 3. Devil Boats, PT 105, and a book on the DD warfare of the USN.

Ive probably put down 6 to 8 books in the last few months on the Pacific theater cause Ive been a mad man about the Asian theater of war in WW2 lately. Plus I have my usual reading going. Hopefully I'll have more time soon to build my collection on WW2.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 03:51:55 PM »
If you'd like more books on DD's, I think this one is great, and ranks up with my favorite WWII books in general:

Japanese Destroyer Captain: Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Midway - The Great Naval Battles as Seen Through Japanese Eyes, by Capt. Tameichi Hara

https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Destroyer-Captain-Guadalcanal-Battles/dp/1591143845/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471639761&sr=8-1&keywords=japanese+destroyer

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 11:24:52 PM »
If you'd like more books on DD's, I think this one is great, and ranks up with my favorite WWII books in general:

(Image removed from quote.)

Japanese Destroyer Captain: Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Midway - The Great Naval Battles as Seen Through Japanese Eyes, by Capt. Tameichi Hara

https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Destroyer-Captain-Guadalcanal-Battles/dp/1591143845/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471639761&sr=8-1&keywords=japanese+destroyer

Excellent book.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 02:05:09 PM »
Deep into "Silent Victory" now.
https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Victory-Submarine-against-Bluejacket/dp/155750217X
Man did we set ourselves up for pain in the first two years of the U-boat war vs Japan. And the pathetic thing is we could have had double the fleet boats ready is the Sub service had only asked for them, "remember the Roosevelt 2 ocean Navy proclamation of '38.

Its painful reading about '42 and '43. Indeed the new magnetic detonators had never even been tested live against another ship before deployed, "there was an argument over who would raise the scuttled test ship after". Unbelievable. But we emerged from the war the best boat service in the world and never gave that up due to lessons learned and information taken from the vanquished.

Also I didnt know American code breakers were as accomplished as they were. I knew they were good but didnt know they were that good. Once we teamed up with the Brits we shared a code breaking and technology alliance that proved war winning.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 03:59:18 PM »
Deep into "Silent Victory" now.  Man did we set ourselves up for pain in the first two years of the U-boat war vs Japan. And the pathetic thing is we could have had double the fleet boats ready is the Sub service had only asked for them, "remember the Roosevelt 2 ocean Navy proclamation of '38.

Its painful reading about '42 and '43. Indeed the new magnetic detonators had never even been tested live against another ship before deployed, "there was an argument over who would raise the scuttled test ship after". Unbelievable. But we emerged from the war the best boat service in the world and never gave that up due to lessons learned and information taken from the vanquished.

Also I didnt know American code breakers were as accomplished as they were. I knew they were good but didnt know they were that good. Once we teamed up with the Brits we shared a code breaking and technology alliance that proved war winning.

If you really want to read a good submarine account of war in the Pacific, I highly recommend "Clear the Bridge: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang" by Richard O'Kane.  It's the accounts of O'Kane, while commander of the Tang during the war.  It's an incredible story and you'll understand why O'Kane was awarded the MOH for his service.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:33:19 PM by Ack-Ack »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 05:00:42 PM »
If you really want to read a good submarine account of war in the Pacific, I highly recommend "Clear the Bridge: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang" by Richard O'Keefe.  It's the accounts of Keefe, while commander of the Tang during the war.  It's an incredible story and you'll understand why O'Keefe was awarded the MOH for his service.

:aok

Another good one is "The Bravest Man: Richard O'Kane and the Amazing Submarine Adventures of the USS Tang", by Tuohy.