Author Topic: dots  (Read 3695 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
dots
« on: August 22, 2016, 09:23:33 AM »
Seems the aircraft visual dot is different from AH2. 

What I see is a large dot that moves a bit erratically, from about 6 miles.  Then a smaller dot that moves smoothly.  Then the dot disappears completely for a short time before becoming an icon.

Is that what others are seeing?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: dots
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 09:49:01 AM »
I see a dot in the distance that kind of warps every few seconds.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 09:49:36 AM »
I see a dot in the distance that kind of warps every few seconds.

semp
agreed
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 10:09:21 AM »
Yep.  It basically looks like outside a certain range you only get updates every few seconds, then when it gets inside a certain range it updates more often.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 10:10:23 AM »
Seems the aircraft visual dot is different from AH2. 

What I see is a large dot that moves a bit erratically, from about 6 miles.  Then a smaller dot that moves smoothly.  Then the dot disappears completely for a short time before becoming an icon.

Is that what others are seeing?

yes this is what is happening to me...
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 10:39:33 AM »
Yep.  It basically looks like outside a certain range you only get updates every few seconds, then when it gets inside a certain range it updates more often.

Wiley.

Just like what has been working as designed for years in the current game.  ;)
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 10:45:31 AM »

:aok

It is also good to discuss this kind of observation in the new version.  Perhaps it goes under the heading of "Characteristics of Aces High - Explained"?

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 10:57:07 AM »

I wouldn't know, I don't think I've ever seen a dot in the current game outside of the fast update range. ;)

I was just explaining how it works, not complaining.  Personally, this is the single change in AH3 that has made me happiest.  I am dying to play FSO under the new client just for this change alone.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 11:06:11 AM »
I too have also seen warping dots. Thought the dreaded dot bug was back, but I was also able to see reds.

These dots did not correlate when any reds in the area, so I think it should be looked at. 
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 11:20:40 AM »
Although the dots are visible beyond icon range, and is a welcome difference, they also can hide near the deck easily, depending upon the terrain.  For example, Me163 hid on the deck at sea until it had enough speed to zoom climb and attack my plane sight unseen.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 11:41:50 AM »
In real life planes near the deck over high density tree and clutter are not easy to see at a distance. At least we now have long range dots visible enough to make the AvA playable. In real life not constantly looking around for attackers got you killed when you were in their territory of operations. Chilli didn't the 163 have it's red icon......

If I remember correctly the frequency of update info or amount of that info for planes outside of 400yds is slower. Now that the dots are very pronounced, you are seeing this function. I have to admit with my new PC I can see dots in AH2 at the same long ranges as the beta and at times the beta dots have a small bit of warp compared to AH2.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 11:42:29 AM »
The jumping effect is caused by distance. Things further away refresh intermittently while closer objects refresh quicker. This is also why some folks seem to warp when you get close as lag becomes more obvious. Either persons connection Speed becomes apparent.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 11:45:24 AM »
I guess there's gonna be a new individual thread for every single thing that someone notices is different fro AH2. Folks, it new, it's gonna be different, it's intended to be different. Just take deep breaths, and enjoy the new car smell in the reworked Ki61  :joystick:
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 04:42:30 PM »
The distant dots in AH2 have a very subtle predictable warp way out at distance.... In combat challenge other day couldn't predict the path of distant dot con and their icon would suddenly end up 3k under me...I guess we'll have to get used to it....
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 04:50:27 PM »
I guess there's gonna be a new individual thread for every single thing that someone notices is different fro AH2. Folks, it new, it's gonna be different, it's intended to be different. Just take deep breaths, and enjoy the new car smell in the reworked Ki61  :joystick:

Well said Copprhed.
- The Flying Circus -