Author Topic: dots  (Read 3646 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: dots
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 06:38:07 PM »
I guess there's gonna be a new individual thread for every single thing that someone notices is different fro AH2. Folks, it new, it's gonna be different, it's intended to be different. Just take deep breaths, and enjoy the new car smell in the reworked Ki61  :joystick:

Well, this is a beta test, HTC might be interested in players' experience with the new stuff.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 06:43:42 PM »
Well, this is a beta test, HTC might be interested in players' experience with the new stuff.

They are..... that is why HTC started two distinct threads to post in. One thread for items having to with DX9 and one thread for items having to do with DX11.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 08:02:03 AM »
After some experience with the new "dots", I think it needs to be adjusted in some way.

First I see the "big" dot at some 6 miles.  Fine, that could make it easier to find a fight.  However, as the bogey gets closer, the big dot changes into a barely visible small dot which can be invisible depending on the lighting.  Then, when closer still, the icon appears.

The problem is that it can be very difficult to tell whether the big dot disappeared because the bogey got closer -- or got farther away.  So, I sometimes find myself chasing a dot that can be 6+ miles away and is going the other direction.  Also, it is counter-intuitive to see a "big" dot at distance and a much smaller dot closer.  It is something that can be learned, but may confuse new players.

(I am playing at 2560x1440 resolution with 4096 texture.)

KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 01:57:14 PM »

Yes, same problem here.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline sanfordpaul

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 02:03:06 PM »
I think popeye said it best. Dots should get bigger as they get closer, not the opposite. The way the dots function now needs a rethink. Hopefully, its something that can be fixed. :)

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 08:46:12 PM »
I agree completely. Between the Dar Bar, Icons, and Radar Icons, it has never been hard to find fights in AH.

I am normally all for improvements to vision in flight sims since IRL visual acuity is much higher due to problems with monitors etc. But this new dot system is excessive, at least when it is implemented so far out. I think it would make alot more sense to have the big dot start at 6km, and then fad to the normal tiny dots as distance goes up. This would allow for better contrast compensationg at just over 6km, without the crazy dots at 17km. Even Better, we could do away with icons farther out than 1.5km and use the Big dots after that out to 6km.

This new system makes fights too easy to find, and that turns the MA combat into more of a conveyor belt than it already is.

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 12:19:00 AM »
It appears to me that the big dog is a placeholder, and when it renders to small dot, it is getting "drawn".  Problem is it is so small higher resolutions antialias it out.  At 4Kres I don't see dots at range....just icons.  So I'm back to 1080p.

GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 01:14:21 AM »
I fly at 4k with AA off. I see dots as a black square at a distance, and once closer it renders as a colorless aircraft, or three aircraft if it is an airplane formation. If I am above a single aircraft then it may be difficult or even impossible to see the airplane, but I think that should be expected.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2016, 08:23:19 AM »
Im not sure of the range numbers, but just to give you an idea of what I see.....

12k-9k out big black square.
9k-8k nothing.
8k-6k small dot forming into plane shape.
6k- in, plane shape with icon getting more detailed as I close.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2016, 11:58:51 AM »
Im not sure of the range numbers, but just to give you an idea of what I see.....

12k-9k out big black square.
9k-8k nothing.
8k-6k small dot forming into plane shape.
6k- in, plane shape with icon getting more detailed as I close.

This is my experience as well. Chased a few dots just outside icon to lose where they are due to the no dot range and then pick them up eventually going in a different direction as the big dot.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 02:36:07 PM »
Just one caveat to the ranges listed: I am fairly certain the large dot appears at ranges of 17k or more, since in AH2 17km was the limit for the small dots IIRC. Once the big dot disappears, the small dot appears immediately.

Really hope something about this gets changed. I am usually someone who wants more, not less, aircraft visibility in games. However I think it might be overkill when I can spot fights going on at sea level from 25,000ft up and 10 miles away.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2016, 02:48:32 PM »
I have dots that dissapear totally from long range and never show back up.

I also have dots showing long range at a certain alt,  and the detailed con shows up quite a bit higher or lower.

Why complain about this thread?  Its a discussion about the new game.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2016, 03:19:47 PM »
How the dots function at distance may be tied to the nature of the light source relationship to objects in the graphics engine. Have any of you disabled post lighting to see what the dots do? There may be a similar phenomenon as you see with the icons when post lighting is enabled.

I think the posters who responded about there seems to be an open post concerning every single thing someone doesn't like about the new light engine. Are a concern for Hitech's work load as the only programmer. I believe he is aware by now how some view his dots, unless all this kvetching is the hope of getting him into this post so you can tell him personally how much you don't like his dots. During the closed alpha for 18 months we made ongoing comments about making the dots view able for everyone to enhance game play. Then one patch some months back the dots were there. Guess he does read all of this kvetching.....

We even made comments about the tracers back then, players ongoing in the open alpha\beta, and he did work on them recently if you read the change log.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2016, 03:22:51 PM »
Note to self...don't post off a tiny bellybutton phone screen:)

Think it is just the way they are handling long range "tally's" that is problematic...and maybe we need a way to render that "disappearing" range window to a smaller black dot before it renders to the plane shape.

Bottom line is 3 mile tally ho's should be difficult with tiny planes like these...you figure the B-25 is about the size of an F-15 nowadays.  F-16 would be a LARGE fighter...as in larger than a 38...and it is a squeak to pick up visually, especially nose on.

GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2016, 03:26:13 PM »
How the dots function at distance may be tied to the nature of the light source relationship to objects in the graphics engine. Have any of you disabled post lighting to see what the dots do? There may be a similar phenomenon as you see with the icons when post lighting is enabled.

I think the posters who responded about there seems to be an open post concerning every single thing someone doesn't like about the new light engine. Are a concern for Hitech's work load as the only programmer. I believe he is aware by now how some view his dots, unless all this kvetching is the hope of getting him into this post so you can tell him personally how much you don't like his dots. During the closed alpha for 18 months we made ongoing comments about making the dots view able for everyone to enhance game play. Then one patch some months back the dots were there. Guess he does read all of this kvetching.....

We even made comments about the tracers back then, players ongoing in the open alpha\beta, and he did work on them recently if you read the change log.

Bustr, it is becoming increasingly clear you do not know how graphics engines work. It is also becoming increasingly clear that you have appointed yourself as the unofficial AH3 defender. Mayhaps it is you, and not us, who wants the attention of HiTech? :noid

The dots have nothing to do with the "light engine" as you put it. Putting aside how silly it is to assume that in the first place, I have tested with PP off. It makes not difference what-so-ever.

But by all means, continue to obfuscate every issue that arises by attributing everything to the mysterious maw of the "light engine."