Author Topic: Why do I have two mouse pointers?  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Why do I have two mouse pointers?
« on: August 28, 2016, 02:14:08 PM »
When I first log in, I have the ah mouse pointer and the windows mouse pointer.   When I click something the windows mouse pointer goes away.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Why do I have two mouse pointers?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 03:57:15 PM »
Is anybody else having this problem?

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 04:00:06 PM »
Howdy 2 issues since downloading the pre release version.

1. when first logging on to the MA I have 2 mouse cursors when the MOTD pops open, when I close it the game minimized to the tray. When I re open the game from the tray it acts normal, most of the time but if I sit in the tower for a bit the game freezes.

2. Track IR still keeps the game led lit after closing the game [did not do this in AH2]  not a big deal I just shut the camera off and re start it and all is good.

I am auto downloading skins so I dont know if there is some connection to problem 1 with that. DX diag attached
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 04:19:09 PM »
Thanks BowHTR.  I keep thinking it is a W10 setting but so far I have not been able to eliminate the problem.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 03:15:05 PM »
Anybody find a solution to this problem?  Alt-Tabing out every time I use the mouse for the first time is getting irritating.

Is it an ah3 problem or my problem?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 03:41:06 PM »
Are you running anything special about your mouse?

HiTech

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 03:53:30 PM »
Are you running anything special about your mouse?

HiTech

No, just a plain old, wireless mouse.  I use the mouse in AH3 to only point and click on the clipboard.  I will do so more digging on my end to make sure W10 did not add something to the mouse.  I do not have this problem in AH2.

Thanks so much for the reply.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 04:26:20 PM »
I tokk the idea from another thread and renamed the settings folder and restarted.  That fixed the problem.  I will put it back and delete the two mouse files and see what happens.

Thanks Hitech.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 07:31:22 PM »
When I first log in, I have the ah mouse pointer and the windows mouse pointer.   When I click something the windows mouse pointer goes away.

Shhhh. Dont say anything or everyone will want and extra one
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 09:50:10 PM »
Hi All,

What this looks like to me is that AHIII is written to run in "windowed mode" (run within a Windows pane) as well as in full screen (no Windows pane) so when the game is initially started it starts in "windowed mode" so as long as the mouse is inside of the Windows pane boundry area the game controls it. If you move the mouse pointer past the "windowed pane boundries" of the game the Windows mouse settings take over so you end up w\ 2 "mouse pointers" until the game actually starts up in full screen (the Windows pane or boundry goes away) then the Windows mouse pointer is gone and the game mouse pointer is always present until you exit out and the game returns back to the "windowed mode" then the 2 mouse pointers show back up working in the same manner as earlier described until the game is exited. At least this the manner I have always observed on my box in sig below.

I have ran thru my Logitech Trackman SetPoint control panel and have enabled\disabled every setting scenario in there including shutting SetPoint completely down and running off Windows mouse settings alone and I get the exact same behavior as described. I have renamed the AHIII settings folder and restarted the game several times to allow the game to recreate the settings in the new AHIII settings folder and I have gotten the exact same behavior as described earlier w\o fail.

I also do set my monitor to use display scaling larger than the default setting of 100% (set @ 150%) to make all appear larger thus easier to see on the desktop (run 2560x1440 res on a 27" monitor) and have found that this makes the 2 mouse pointer situation worse as this causes the game to scale "smaller" than the Windows pane when it starts up due to the game seeming to be coded to scale to 100% only which will cause the game mouse "area" to be smaller within the "up scaled" Windows pane and cause issues w\ the game mouse accessing parts of the clipboard as it will be "scaled" outside of the game "boundry". When I reset the desktop scaling back to default I don't need to do anything in the game icon's Compatibility tab as the desktop is in the default scaling but I will still get the 2 mouse pointers as earlier described occurring in the same described manner.

What I have done to correct this when I have the desktop display up scaled is to right click on the game icon, go to Properties, Compatibility tab and check the checkbox beside "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" so that when the game starts up Windows will disable the 150% display scaling I have enabled so that the "window" returns back to 100% scaling (default) so the game sees the "normal" display scaling and then will stretch back out to the "normal" boundries as described earlier and when the game is exited Windows will then reapply the 150% scaling to the desktop. Also to get a little more resources sent toward the game I also check the Compatibility tab checkbox beside the "Disable visual themes" checkbox (this also turns off Aero Glass when the game starts up and when the game is exited Aero Glass will be reapplied to the desktop).

I have noted this same behavior in the Beta stages of AHIII as well and have mentioned it in this forum before also but nothing ever came out of it so I just accepted the fixes I came up with and moved on as it seemed that I was the only 1 who has reported this behavior in this way so maybe this is just happening in this manner on my box alone. Other than what I have reported here all runs just beautiful and as long as I retain the compatibility checks for the game icons the rest works fine.

Just for comparison AHII shows to not be affected by display scaling larger than the default desktop scaling setting of 100% and does not display 2 mouse pointers when in "windowed mode", only the game mouse pointer shows.

I also turn all specific game profile (I use Radeon Settings created AHIII game profiles to set specific graphics control settings for this game alone...) display scaling off in Radeon Settings as this will create the same issues w\ AHIII as well. Don't know if Nvidia has incorporated this game specific display scaling in their control panel so I can't say.

I mentioned this again as I am seeing that others are still having issues w\ this upon downloading and starting up AHIII.....they might have their desktop up scaled for the same reasoning, they might not.....I don't know but at least the info is out here to hopefully help someone out if it is found to be happening along the same lines that I've experienced and posted here.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 01:49:44 PM »
Display Scaling

That was on in Radon setting.  Turned it off and the two pointers went away.

Thanks Pudgie

BTW,  We dog named Pudgie when we were growing up.  I wished I had asked my Dad if the dog was named after the famous P-38.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 04:07:21 PM »
Pudgie what's the practical difference between upscaling to make things bigger vs using a smaller FOV to make things bigger?

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 04:54:04 PM »
Pudgie what's the practical difference between upscaling to make things bigger vs using a smaller FOV to make things bigger?

Hi FLS,

I upscale the desktop display scaling set @ 150% for the desktop only so that the text and shortcut icons are upscaled to be easier to see on the desktop (I have less than stellar vision, even w\ my glasses on...need to get my eyes checked).
I do not use display scaling in the game BUT it is this desktop display scaling setting being upscaled w\ AHIII starting up in windowed mode is what's causing the "double mouse pointer" to show up as AHIII is not coded to scale text past the default display setting of 100% (which most folks don't upscale their desktop display scaling past the default setting of 100%....as most folks are using displays at 1920 x 1080 res or less still or have darn good eyesight still) but when it is running within a Windows desktop pane that has been set to scale higher than the default setting it throws off the "boundry" between the game "window" and the desktop "window" thus you will see 2 different mouse pointer icons appear..... This goes away once AHIII starts up in full screen mode (AHIII is taking over the "window pane" from Windows so the Windows desktop pane is disabled) but will come back once AHIII is exited and returns to "windowed mode" viewing until the game is fully exited. This is why I use the Compatibility tab in the AHIII game icons to stop this from happening by having Windows to "reset" itself back to default when the AHIII.exe is executed then reapply the 150% scaling when the AHIII.exe is terminated.

Now as for using display scaling within the game (I'm assuming you're referring to AHIII) for in-game FOV enhancement there is no reason as Hitech & Co have done all this in the game code (in game I use the default FOV of 80%...FYI). But for AMD to provide this in Radeon Settings there are some exceptions w\ some games that will allow the GPU to scale the graphics frames to fully fit your display real estate (widescreen displays and Eyefinity setups are most likely the main reasons for this feature) but if this is enabled in Radeon Settings (Crimson drivers) it will cause the 2 mouse pointer issue to show up in the full screen AHIII game views as well. I turn all this off in Radeon Settings in my AHIII game profiles that I create in Radeon Settings. The GPU scaling options found in the Display tab of Radeon Settings works within the Windows desktop only and has no effect on AHIII from all my testing....but I am using an AMD R9 Fury X vid card so the features in Radeon Settings will be made available to the GPU's that the Crimson drivers read that can use them so my vid card can use most of the features available in the drivers except the features that are specific to the new AMD Polaris GPU's currently out (currently am running the latest AMD Crimson 16.9.1 drivers w\o issue).

Hope this helps you out.

:salute
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 05:03:47 PM by Pudgie »
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 07:09:01 PM »
I thought you meant you were upscaling the game and I couldn't see a reason for it.

By all means get your eyes checked.  There are treatable diseases with no obvious symptoms.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 06:20:17 AM »
Pudgie, if your mouse has a wheel on it, you can change the desktop ICON size by pressing Ctrl and roll the wheel.  It allows fine control of resizing the desktop ICONS.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com