Author Topic: Why do I have two mouse pointers?  (Read 3568 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why do I have two mouse pointers?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 10:17:02 AM »
I suddenly have the dual mouse pointers. Was working fine the last time I logged on a few hours ago, suddenly this. If I click on anything it CTDs but the AH3 exe program keeps running in the background. You can't click on the icon to restart it. I have to open up task manager and kill the exe that before I can relaunch the game. Really strange stuff.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:20:09 AM by rpm »
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 10:39:28 AM »
I suddenly have the dual mouse pointers. Was working fine the last time I logged on a few hours ago, suddenly this. If I click on anything it CTDs but the AH3 exe program keeps running in the background. You can't click on the icon to restart it. I have to open up task manager and kill the exe that before I can relaunch the game. Really strange stuff.

Ive been trying to duplicate this. My guess is it has something to do with a unique desk top setting. Are you running anything non standard like a virtual desk top or scaling?

HiTech

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 11:38:05 AM »
Pudgie, if your mouse has a wheel on it, you can change the desktop ICON size by pressing Ctrl and roll the wheel.  It allows fine control of resizing the desktop ICONS.

Hi Skuzzy,

Thanks for posting this as I was never aware that this could be done within Windows.............

Since I read your post I've tried to do this several times but I get no response on the desktop. I've checked my trackball's control panel (Logitech SetPoint 6.67.59) and the wheel is set up for universal scroll (default). Checked this in Windows and all is set up in default as well but when I press CTRL and roll the trackball wheel nothing happens.

Would the theme choice interfere? Especially if the theme being used isn't the Windows default (I use the Asus ROG theme exclusively)?

Well I just tested this thought by selecting the default Windows 7 theme then tried again and got no response on the desktop so something is amiss on my end. I'll track it down eventually...................

As far as AHIII goes I'm good w\ it as MS has known that this was an issue long ago as these (I remember this being present as far back as WinXP) settings were available in the Properties, Compatibility tab for all apps (including games) so this isn't a new development as far as the OS is concerned and is also a choice for software developers to either rectify this on their end or stick w\ the std coding and let the user rectify it thru the OS-supplied "fix". Curious if this even got fixed in Win 10..............

So I just use the OS fix to rectify this issue so I get to upscale the desktop display scaling to make text & icons larger and have AHIII work properly within an upscaled Windows pane.

If anything I would be curious as to what code change(s) between AHII and AHIII (if any at all) set this up as in AHII this doesn't happen, even though AHII starts up in the same windowed mode pattern as AHIII does.

Not gonna upset me none if y'all choose to not elaborate on this as all is good on my end and I know this is not y'all's problem to solve.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 11:41:18 AM »
Pudgie, you'd have to click the wheel first to activate it for resizing icons.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2016, 11:45:26 AM »
Pudgie, you'd have to click the wheel first to activate it for resizing icons.

Thanks for that tip, Bizman!

Does help to know how to drive before you can actually DRIVE..............

:D  :old:

Gonna go fix all this now..................

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 11:53:41 AM »
Ive been trying to duplicate this. My guess is it has something to do with a unique desk top setting. Are you running anything non standard like a virtual desk top or scaling?

HiTech
No non standard settings. Now here's another weird thing. I logged into AH2, flew a sortie then quit and logged into AH3. No more dual mouse pointers.  :headscratch:
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2016, 12:03:02 PM »
Thanks for that tip, Bizman!

Does help to know how to drive before you can actually DRIVE..............

:D  :old:

Gonna go fix all this now..................

Alright folks,

I've tried all this now. The tip does work & works well............for all except the text.
It does scale the text a little bit when you resize the desktop icons but not enough for ole Pudgie............

But when you combine the 2 (upscale the desktop scaling AND resize the desktop icons) that makes a WORLD of difference!

So I'll just keep on doing what I've been doing w\ desktop scaling then use the crtl + wheel to fine tune from there.

Appreciate the help though!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 06:23:49 AM »
Pudgie, have you tried the "Display" option in the "Control Panel"?  It allows text size adjustments to be made.  Rather course, but it is another option.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 09:19:16 PM »
Pudgie, have you tried the "Display" option in the "Control Panel"?  It allows text size adjustments to be made.  Rather course, but it is another option.

Hi Skuzzy,

If you're referring to Display under Appearance and Personalization in Control Panel this is exactly the 1 that I've been using for quite some time, even before y'all began working on AHIII. This also enlarges desktop icons as well as scale text larger according to the same amount of text scaling you select, not only on the desktop but also in the Task Bar and the Notifications Bar.

It is this Windows 7 scaling that is interfering w\ AHIII on my box when AHIII is running within a Windows pane in windowed mode when you set it to scale more than the default of 100%. Doesn't matter if I tell it to use the Win XP default scaling under the set custom scaling link. Easy to fix by right clicking on the game shortcut icon, clicking on Properties, Compatibility tab then checking the box by "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" which tells Windows to reset this scaling back to 100% upon the game startup then reset the scaling back when the game is exited. As you already know, MS has known this will cause issues w\ some apps for quite some time thus the MS-supplied "fix".

I also have found that there are display scaling settings within AMD's Radeon Settings that will cause the same 2 mouse pointer issue at the GPU level....especially the ones that are present in the AMD created game profiles (which I do use) if they are not disabled. So far I have not found the GPU scaling under Display in the Radeon Settings software to affect AHIII.

You probably wasn't looking for all this but I typed it anyway.

Hope it helps you.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 08:31:48 AM »
"Compatibility tab then checking the box by "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"

Thanks for this!

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016, 11:28:43 AM »
Thought you were setting that with installation routine. My computers have been getting game installed this way since I started checking the status after you did something back in the beta to remedy this issue. Haven't had scaling problems since.

92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'