Author Topic: Graphics not clear for me  (Read 3404 times)

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
Re: Graphics not clear for me
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2016, 11:41:51 PM »
No, it is not just you.  I have the same issue.  I am running an i7-6700k @ 4.2ghZ, GTX 1080, max graphics, solid 60fps, game looks amazing.  But, the same issue you have.  Shimmering textures at a distance, trees, objects, etc.  I cranked AA up in the nVidia control panel to 4 or 8x.  It helped a bit but I feel like there is something else.  Possibly just a bug?
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2016, 06:06:04 AM »
I think when you get shimmering in the distance there are two things happening. First, the game is still not final and I think there might be a few things with shaders that may require a closer examination. Second, even if the first isn't true it is almost certainly a case of eating your cake and having it too. What I mean is, you want all of the eye candy and you want it to still look good in every case. So you set your graphics details up to maximum and then when aberrations occur you think its the game, when instead its a user fault.

If you start with your graphic settings as I suggested for FGBullet in this thread, then you may see what I am talking about. Always keep Environment OFF. Turn that on when you are showing off the game, but not while playing. If you move the sliders you will see the terrain textures flashing as you make changes. The flashes are brief and probably the result of updating textures, polys, and vertices, but that's not really important. The important thing is for you to find a place on the map where you can see the terrain off into the distance. Adjust the sliders to the point where the distant trees do not shimmer/flash/or dance. This is the point at which your card is about maximized on handling those features. You will want to back off of that position by about 15%, to leave room for things like multiple airplanes and vehicles.

If you think you have a powerful system, then think again. Even the vaunted 1080 will not play this game in every situation at 60fps. Ain't gonna happen. If you doubt me, then go sit at the refinery and start blowing up fuel structures with the arena controls. When you get down to 13fps you will know the reality of the situation.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2016, 08:48:05 AM »
No, it is not just you.  I have the same issue.  I am running an i7-6700k @ 4.2ghZ, GTX 1080, max graphics, solid 60fps, game looks amazing.  But, the same issue you have.  Shimmering textures at a distance, trees, objects, etc.  I cranked AA up in the nVidia control panel to 4 or 8x.  It helped a bit but I feel like there is something else.  Possibly just a bug?

There is an Nvidis setting which addresses shimmering settings.....I'm on the road with just an iPad, but if your bring up Nvidia control panel>3D settings....mouse over each to get the info (shows below the imbedded guy window) and you will see one which says to select if you see shimmering objects.   

Wish I could be more specific, but can't remember off the top of my nugget.

As far as bringing your system down to 13fps....if you have resource monitor running, I guarantee you will see a single core getting hammered AND that is the culprit for low TPS in a high clutter environment.
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2016, 05:38:38 PM »
No. That was one of the first tests I did with AH3, because they have placed the primary load on the GPU. At the refinery it is rather easy to get down into the teens with FPS, because of all the smoke resulting from destroyed factories. My resource monitor indicated no more than 10% usage, so there goes that theory!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2016, 12:11:58 AM »
Do you have your CPUs so you can see each core?

8 core cup with 1 core at 100% is 12% max....

Game is single thread coded with some "loading" in other cores per Hitech.

GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2016, 12:59:57 AM »
Ah, I thought they had done a better job of multithreading, but alas. . .

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2016, 03:31:22 PM »
Here is the setting for Nvidia cards for those who see shimmering objects.

Open attachment for picture.
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2016, 05:02:06 PM »
Uh, I don't think so!

The setting you have pointed to is associated with triple buffering, which I am pretty sure Skuzzy has said to avoid using that. At any rate, all of the Nvidia Control panel settings should be set to application controlled, unless you are doing something special like SLI. You can experiment, but what you will find is that Anisotropic Filtering will make the shimmering worse, instead of better. I believe it is a case of attempting to cure the symptom, instead of curing the cause. I think the root cause of the problem is shadows, and not the 3D objects.

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2016, 11:07:14 PM »
Did you read where the arrow points?  "Select off if you see shimmering objects"

I usually don't do "application controlled" for any game...on any setting....but that is just me:)

GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2016, 11:24:47 PM »
Yes, except it's going to cause shimmering of the textures associated with the (simulated) 3D objects when set to "On" and the problem people are having is with shadow objects at a distance. And when I say 'distance' I mean much further than the texture filtering effect. You can see the shimmering effect to some degree in the DSR video I made.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2016, 01:22:35 AM »
I usually don't do "application controlled" for any game...on any setting....but that is just me:)

If you have two separate programs set to control the same feature you might run into anomalies. The easiest way to control game specific graphics is to set the video card to "application controlled" and then adjust the graphics game by game. The opposite approach would be to adjust everything from the video control panel and set every game to "video card controlled" but I can't remember having seen such an option.

There's exceptions, just as Chalenge said. However, if you had such exceptions you would also most likely have studied the best way to use them - and you'd be sending lengthy posts about your progress with exceptional setups.  :cheers:
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2016, 11:05:37 AM »
I think when you get shimmering in the distance there are two things happening. First, the game is still not final and I think there might be a few things with shaders that may require a closer examination. Second, even if the first isn't true it is almost certainly a case of eating your cake and having it too. What I mean is, you want all of the eye candy and you want it to still look good in every case. So you set your graphics details up to maximum and then when aberrations occur you think its the game, when instead its a user fault.

If you start with your graphic settings as I suggested for FGBullet in this thread, then you may see what I am talking about. Always keep Environment OFF. Turn that on when you are showing off the game, but not while playing. If you move the sliders you will see the terrain textures flashing as you make changes. The flashes are brief and probably the result of updating textures, polys, and vertices, but that's not really important. The important thing is for you to find a place on the map where you can see the terrain off into the distance. Adjust the sliders to the point where the distant trees do not shimmer/flash/or dance. This is the point at which your card is about maximized on handling those features. You will want to back off of that position by about 15%, to leave room for things like multiple airplanes and vehicles.

If you think you have a powerful system, then think again. Even the vaunted 1080 will not play this game in every situation at 60fps. Ain't gonna happen. If you doubt me, then go sit at the refinery and start blowing up fuel structures with the arena controls. When you get down to 13fps you will know the reality of the situation.

Good post.....worth posting again. That is exactly how you find the best settings in AH3...........eye candy does add to the realism.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)