Author Topic: 120hz monitor and game  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
Re: 120hz monitor and game
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 09:22:03 PM »
Appears maybe the game is enforcing vsynch at 60fps vs monitor refresh rate.

Set video settings to 1080p, 120hz.
Set monitor to 120hz, logged on...FPS was at 60. Logged out...monitor was set to 1080p, 60hz.

Not sure if this is "as designed" or if it is accidentally enforcing a 60hz refresh.

Hiya Dobs,

Are you sure that AHIII is doing this?

Now I'm not using a Nvidia vid card but AHIII uses whatever the monitor hz is set up to be in Windows and vsynch has always followed suit.
That has always been my experience w\ AH thru to the current AHIII pre-release.

I currently have my monitor's hz set in Windows @ 90 hz (this is to keep my FPS from exceeding my monitor's upper FreeSynch hz range of 90 hz) and AHIII w\ vsynch on will run at 90 FPS on my AMD R9 Fury X vid card if I allow it to (I use AMD's FRTC set @ 80 FPS in addition with FreeSynch enabled....makes for a very smooth gaming experience so my ingame FPS w\ vsynch on is 79-80).

Somehow I think you may have other issues going on..................

From reading your post it seems to me as if you're trying to set your vid card to play back video instead of using your monitor's native resolution......if that is the case then I can see this happening as using 1080p video you will be limited to 60hz but if your monitor is a 1920 x 1080 native resolution monitor you should be able to run it at the 120hz refresh in Windows which then AHII should run it as well.

Just a thought...................... .........

Hope this can help you out.............

PS---Just had a thought.............

Are you using a TV as a computer monitor using a HDMI connect & the TV doesn't have a PC mode to reprogram the TV to act like a PC monitor?
If so then you will get the same result as you are getting now as 1080p video plays at max of 60hz.

:salute

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:32:31 PM by Pudgie »
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 10:38:43 PM »
not too savvy on monitors.

Here is what I have . What would be a good upgrade and maybe what could I expect to gain?

System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 9/1/2016, 20:34:25
             Machine name: DIGITALSTORM-PC
         Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release.160802-1857)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
             System Model: System Product Name
                     BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/19/15 14:40:41 Ver: 05.0000B
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
                   Memory: 8192MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 8114MB RAM
                Page File: 2256MB used, 7138MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.10586.0000 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: GeForce GTX 970
           DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
        Device Type: Full Device
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13C2&SUBSYS_853F1043&REV_A1
     Display Memory: 8064 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 4007 MB
      Shared Memory: 4057 MB
       Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (75Hz)
       Monitor Name: Dell SE198WFP(Analog)
      Monitor Model: DELL SE198WFP
         Monitor Id: DELF003
        Native Mode: 1440 x 900(p) (59.887Hz)
        Output Type: HD15
        Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 10.18.0013.6519 (English)

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 10:56:47 PM »
Hiya Dobs,

Are you sure that AHIII is doing this?

Now I'm not using a Nvidia vid card but AHIII uses whatever the monitor hz is set up to be in Windows and vsynch has always followed suit.
That has always been my experience w\ AH thru to the current AHIII pre-release.

I currently have my monitor's hz set in Windows @ 90 hz (this is to keep my FPS from exceeding my monitor's upper FreeSynch hz range of 90 hz) and AHIII w\ vsynch on will run at 90 FPS on my AMD R9 Fury X vid card if I allow it to (I use AMD's FRTC set @ 80 FPS in addition with FreeSynch enabled....makes for a very smooth gaming experience so my ingame FPS w\ vsynch on is 79-80).

Somehow I think you may have other issues going on..................

From reading your post it seems to me as if you're trying to set your vid card to play back video instead of using your monitor's native resolution......if that is the case then I can see this happening as using 1080p video you will be limited to 60hz but if your monitor is a 1920 x 1080 native resolution monitor you should be able to run it at the 120hz refresh in Windows which then AHII should run it as well.

Just a thought...................... .........

Hope this can help you out.............

PS---Just had a thought.............

Are you using a TV as a computer monitor using a HDMI connect & the TV doesn't have a PC mode to reprogram the TV to act like a PC monitor?
If so then you will get the same result as you are getting now as 1080p video plays at max of 60hz.

:salute

I'm sorted...in the Nvidia settings there was application override which was on. Turning that off allowed me to run at 120hz with vsynch checked. 

Cheers!
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2016, 01:00:28 AM »

Here is what I have . What would be a good upgrade and maybe what could I expect to gain?

You can up the resolution, but then the frame rate will drop slightly. Your GPU is optimized for 1080p, so that first sentence may not be true, precisely. The problem is from indications in your DXdiag you are using an analog input to the monitor that you have. Digital should be slightly better, but with the 970 you should probably be on HDMI, or DisplayPort for greater compatibility with any monitor you choose. DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort are all the same quality, but the resolution options may vary depending on which one you choose. If you stick to HD 1080p, then any one of them will do just fine. I chose DisplayPort early on, because at the time HDMI did not support 4k, which is no longer true.

You might want to consider UHD for the future, because prices are dropping and while UHD is still not an option at 144Hz it could happen in the near future. If you just ready to drop your cash and pick something up, ANYTHING up to satisfy AHIII, then I would suggest an ASUS monitor that uses HDMI inputs at HD 1080p. For less than $200 you're in business.

Otherwise, I would suggest you try a DVI cable with what you have, if you aren't already.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2016, 01:32:37 AM »

Your computer looks very good to me. However, as Chalenge already said, your current resolution is low compared to what your GPU is optimized for. So my recommendation is to get a better monitor.

There's three features in monitors that you have to find a balance with: Image quality, speed and size.

The first can be achieved by increasing the resolution. 4K has been mentioned, and 8K is on the way. However, having to draw four or sixteen times the amount of pixels compared to a 1080p monitor at least 60 times in a second is still too much for most video cards. Plus you wouldn't really see the difference on a small screen, 4K should be way above 30" to benefit from the better image.

Speed is another issue. Your GTX970 should be able to run any game at a solid 60 FPS on a 1080p monitor. Cutting some of the settings down a little should perform well even on a 144Hz monitor. Size doesn't matter until the screen is so big you see single pixels instead of an image.

Size has already been mentioned a couple of times. A large screen adds immersion, there's no arguing about that. I love my 30", but if I had the space on my desk I might want a larger one. A friend just got a 46" monitor and it looks awesome. For the same image quality a 4K screen should be 92" which could already be an issue with wife ack.

I can't tell you anything about brands and models, but either a 1080p@144Hz or a 1440p (2560x1440)@60 Hz should make you happy for a long time. For both the size should be at least 24", for the 1440p rather 30".
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2016, 03:42:37 AM »
I'm not aware of any benefits of having more than 60 FPS, the human eye can not detect any difference.

This is a commonly repeated fallacy, it's 100% incorrect.  Anyone who has played on a 100, 120, 144, 165hz, or even higher gaming LCD will tell you the same.  I can take the Pepsi challenge with a 60hz monitor and a 100+hz and pick out which is which every single time.  Past 100hz it can start to get difficult to tell the difference between 100 to 165hz LCDs, but even a 100hz compared to a 165hz, that 65hz difference I can pick out which is which without knowing which monitor is displaying which rate every single time.  The difference in between 100, 120, and 144 THEMSELVES is harder to tell, but it's very evident comparing a 60hz display to any of the ones above 100hz that 60hz is slower and less vibrant and smooth.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 05:29:06 AM »
I remember having to get a 60 hz LCD screen when my 80 hz CRT monitor packed up and hating the difference in FPS while playing AH. When the fast LCD monitors arrived a few years ago it was a big improvement to me. Flying low across the ground at 60 hz I can see the ground passing by in lots of little jumps, it is much smoother and more immersive at 120 hz. To me it also seems easier to track a crossing target and hit them with gunfire as the screen updates the relative positions twice as often.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2016, 05:49:25 AM »
I'm not aware of any benefits of having more than 60 FPS, the human eye can not detect any difference.

You are right. The human eye cannot detect the difference.

The human brain however perceives motion starting at 17Hz, and can detect frames up to around 120Hz. There is a USAF study from the 60s kicking around on the internet if you care to google it.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2016, 07:38:06 AM »
SCCA--running 4k resolution you don't see any of the long range "dots" they use as placeholders in game for the aircraft.
So you don't see them far out, and you don't see them when they render from large dot to "aircraft" until just outside of icon range.

I'll do a recording in 4k. And upload to youtube. Will post link back here.
Ok, thanks.  Hadn't seen that issue noted...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 01:44:02 PM »
Your computer looks very good to me. However, as Chalenge already said, your current resolution is low compared to what your GPU is optimized for. So my recommendation is to get a better monitor.

There's three features in monitors that you have to find a balance with: Image quality, speed and size.

The first can be achieved by increasing the resolution. 4K has been mentioned, and 8K is on the way. However, having to draw four or sixteen times the amount of pixels compared to a 1080p monitor at least 60 times in a second is still too much for most video cards. Plus you wouldn't really see the difference on a small screen, 4K should be way above 30" to benefit from the better image.

Speed is another issue. Your GTX970 should be able to run any game at a solid 60 FPS on a 1080p monitor. Cutting some of the settings down a little should perform well even on a 144Hz monitor. Size doesn't matter until the screen is so big you see single pixels instead of an image.

Size has already been mentioned a couple of times. A large screen adds immersion, there's no arguing about that. I love my 30", but if I had the space on my desk I might want a larger one. A friend just got a 46" monitor and it looks awesome. For the same image quality a 4K screen should be 92" which could already be an issue with wife ack.

I can't tell you anything about brands and models, but either a 1080p@144Hz or a 1440p (2560x1440)@60 Hz should make you happy for a long time. For both the size should be at least 24", for the 1440p rather 30".

Agreed..... I'm on a 27'' @1080p 144hrz and it right on the edge of being to big for the pixels.... wished i could have went with a 1440 monitor. 

flatiron1
With EM disabled in game i usually sit at the cap of 144 with all sliders at around 75%. Your 970 is about the same as my 390 so i bet you wont have a frame rate issue if you cut back just a bit.