Author Topic: FRame Rate Makes it Unplayable  (Read 1616 times)

Offline MrSlim

• Copper Member
FRame Rate Makes it Unplayable
« on: September 03, 2016, 01:13:02 AM »
Notice the past few weeks the player count in AHII arena is a lot lower than it used to be. So I finally got around to downloading the AHIII version to give it a try.
My frame rate is 5  :mad:

In AHII it is 60. Guess I wont be playing AHIII.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: FRame Rate Makes it Unplayable
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 01:39:08 AM »
Instead of throwing your hands up in the air and giving up, why not post your DXDiag and your system specs? It could be that your system isn't up to snuff for AH3 or maybe something as simple as updating your drivers. 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 01:44:40 AM »
Or even simpler, that pesky Environment slider!

Seriously though, post a dxdiag and double check your current graphics settings in AHIII.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 02:01:31 AM »
60fps on AH2 and 5fps on AH3?  :noid

There has to be a problem somewhere and we can probably help.

Offline MrSlim

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 02:06:57 AM »
Not really ready to pound my head against the wall to get this game to work. But ran the diagnositc

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/3/2016, 01:58:59
       Machine name:
   Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.160408-2045)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
       System Model: DX4860
               BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/31/11 10:13:44 Ver: 04.06.04
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
             Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8172MB RAM
          Page File: 4118MB used, 12224MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.

NVIDa Geforce GT610
Approx Total Memory 4049 MG

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 02:27:52 AM »
OK that explains it, your CPU is pretty decent but your videocard is not powerful enough for AHIII, or any modern game. The good news is that if you want to, you should be able to upgrade, the limiting factor being the form factor of your gateway computer case.

Hope that helps  :salute

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 09:38:15 AM »
If this is his machine then he should have no problems finding a card that fits it

Though unless it has something to do with being 64 bit I still think that with some adjustments he should be able to run with what he has. Im running it fine on a lessor machine

The only time I has problems was the other night with everything maxed out I tried strafing a field. then rates dropped into the single digits
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 09:40:53 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 10:02:42 AM »
Im running it fine on a lessor machine

Really? The video card Mr Slim has scores only 358 on http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/midlow_range_gpus.html while the baseline (=absolutishly minimum) 9800 GTX scores 899 on the High Midrange page. Radeon and GeForce cards scoring 3000 and above should be more or less playable depending on what you wish. The other cards are mostly aimed for professional graphics instead of gaming.

Other than the video card the computer is fine. For a video card upgrade the cheapest way would be to get a card that doesn't need an extra power cord. At the moment it seems that Asus GTX 950 75W would be the most powerful card to get all of its power through the PCI-e slot. Upgrading the power supply would allow for an unlimited variety.

CAUTION: Before buying a video card, check that the computer really has a PCI-e slot. I've seen some motherboards in budget computers that only have an integrated video chip and a row of golden dots where the slot should be.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 10:36:31 AM »
I run a 670, while not a "top of the line" card it does get the job done with about everything turned on, very playable with great eye candy. Ebay has some, this one is $99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-670-OC-2GB-GDDR5-2DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-Video-/302060226491

Offline MrSlim

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 10:42:09 AM »
On the start-up screen, it show 32fps but when I clik on an arena button and go into an an arena, it drops to 5. My machine isnt THAT old where it should be such a drastic difference between AHII (60fps) and AHIII (5fps).  :mad:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 10:48:17 AM »
slim you can buy a computer today that wont be able to play ah3 or 2.  it's your vc that needs to upgrade.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 10:59:45 AM »
On the start-up screen, it show 32fps but when I clik on an arena button and go into an an arena, it drops to 5. My machine isnt THAT old where it should be such a drastic difference between AHII (60fps) and AHIII (5fps).  :mad:

AH2 uses the CPU for almost everything, AH3 switches all of the Graphics work to the Graphics card.

So you have a good CPU which runs AH2 fine, but when you switch to AH3 your graphics card which isn't very good has a problem running it. Its all in how the game is run on the computer.

In your case, when you first start the game, before you log in click on video settings. In there adjust your texture size down to 256 or 512, click ok THEN log in to see how it effected the FR. Once in the game, you can go to the ADVANCED graphics settign and turn off post lighting and anything else you need to up your FR.

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
      • Arabian Knights Official Web Page
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 11:01:29 AM »

Try moving your environment slider to 0 and making sure "disable post lighting" is checked.

AKShrike - CO Arabian Knights
USA!!!
http://aksquad.net/
USAF 85-95

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 11:14:56 AM »

Age has bearing on this. Your machine new was a budget machine. Pay just a little more and get a lot.

It should work fine with a vid card upgrade.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline MrSlim

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »
Thanks for all the input.
I guess I'll stick with AHII for the month (number of players in that arena are getting lower and lower) and then call it quits until I'm ready to get a new system. :cheers: