Author Topic: GVing in AH3 PR  (Read 4768 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: GVing in AH3 PR
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2016, 12:20:49 PM »
Changed out the farmland south of tank town for three villages and open agriculture land. Tank town has about 100 tanks hidden in it, so I can put about that many into the new south land. You can see in the second screen capture two gunnery ranges, 4 mile, 4000yd. All the white rings with arrow are GV spawns.

Don't worry, the distance from the far south spawn to the center of tank town is only three miles, about average for GVing in the game. At least the tanks in here won't shoot back while you are trying to see them. Oh!! just because it's a small airfield, you can air spawn fully loaded B29's at 15k to practice level bombing against the level bombing target at the end of the 4 mile range, the CV's or anything on the island.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2016, 06:59:29 PM »
Scotty!!!   Tyfoo is deadly in AH3, all I get is the scraps left over when there was one he did not see LOL.  :D :D :D

It is a totally new ball game for GV'ing. I like all the trees, dips in the terrain, bridges, and houses. Camping a spawn will be more difficult unless you really have good numbers in your favor. The trees do provide lots of cover. I thought they forgot to put berms for the gv's, but the terrain has so many areas for gv's to get the hull down or areas to hide, berms are no longer necessary. Also, you have to take a bridge when there is water......no two ways about it. The chokes points create tank fights.   :neener: The trees also provide cover from the a/c. They can find your gv, but it takes more effort.

I am with you. After spending time in AH3.....I kinda don't feel like going back into AH2. Last night there were over 100 people in AH3.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2016, 09:39:18 PM »
I had so much fun last night in ah3 I may never go back to ah2! Even tho they're a few red guys I'll miss over in ah2! Hey mano tell tyfoo to get his butt over to ah3

Oh, Tyfoo has been in AH3, trust me.  He and I had an awesome time in one of the valleys outside the ring of V bases on tank island.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2016, 09:42:57 PM »
I'm not that big into GVs but I had fun the other night defending one of our bases in a Panther.  I managed to ambush 8thJinx (the engagement he mentioned in his post) just outside of town and a panzer that was crossing the bridge into town.  Ended up getting 3 more kills before 8thJinx returned in another tank and managed to track my Panther, ending my fun but got the most kills (6) in a tank in a very, very long time.

That was my first foray into an AH3 town with a rocket M-4.  The graphics of that encounter were spectacular, although I was surprised I knocked a tread off in one shot. 

Tactics will have to dramatically change in town missions, since sight lines are so much better in the AH3 towns than AH2.  Literally like going from fighting across a dome to fighting in a bowl.  Have to start bringing AP along.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2016, 10:03:17 PM »
You are more then welcome to try AvA Thursday Night Tank Fights if you like intense tank on tank action.
We're drawing more people for every episode now.

Also, next Saturday Night, the GV aspect is critical to AvA War The Invasion of France ! 1940. It's frame 2.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:05:56 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2016, 04:26:37 PM »
So I thought I just finished placing 200 tanks into the new villages and farmland. Spawned in on that south spawn of tank town from my screen shot, and drove up the road all the way to tank town. I don't have near enough tanks just off the sides of the main roads so you have a chance of spotting something. And all the ambushes I setup, if the sun wasn't in the right position to put light on some part of the tanks under the trees, I drove right past tanks within 600 of me. I stopped at one spot I knew I had tanks ambushing the main road, while I was looking for them with zoom, the sun moved a few degrees. Suddenly I was sitting in the center of the ambush.

Hitech knew what he was doing introducing the storch, and I think M8 jocks are going to become hero's of scouting for the tanks. And here I used to take out a lanc with 1000lbers to mark GVs in tank town when it was first being tested because I couldn't see them.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2016, 06:26:41 AM »
Spawn camps are alive and well.  Ran into two so far.  Both were not quite as effective or you might say, complete coverage, as some in ah2 like v85.

I really like the new towns, and the  surrounding hills, and ways to get in town both from an attacking standpoint and defending.

The rising and falling land too makes it more real life like than ah2.

Had an M3 stall on a hill then slide back down.  Neat!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2016, 07:37:44 PM »
Well, I did check out TT tonight. Just over 100 players in CraterMa. 1 friendly, 2 enemy players in tank in TT (Did a recon run with film running). All were just sitting there most of the time, papparently listening for enemy movements. Indeed that reminds me somewhat about the "hedges" TT redesign of 2006. Perhaps all that cover and the short range ambush terrain made them afraid to move?
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman