Author Topic: Anyone using TIR?  (Read 15661 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Anyone using TIR?
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2016, 01:41:22 AM »

I have tried FLS's idea of holding the right or left key to look around the headrest but its not working at all.

While it's possible to look back or forward holding the left or right view key with the new system I don't advocate it. That was simply a description of the difference with the old system. What I advise is leaning left or right before looking back with the rear view key.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2016, 06:16:55 AM »
Rapier,

• Looking around the headrest - the trick here is to turn then lean.  It actually is very easy to do one you have the hang of it.  Try to be smooth, I find the more excitable I get with my head movement the less accurate the response.
  • Locking forward view - The best way to achieve this is build in a small deadzone in your curve.  It will snap your view to the forward view and only break that once you move past your deadzone.

I have to say there are little glitches in AH3 with the TIR but you should be able to get better functionality than you are reporting.

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2016, 07:25:42 AM »
Once I found the Relative view checkbox(it has moved to the VR settings area) all my TIR problems have cleared up.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2016, 08:15:31 AM »
Once I found the Relative view checkbox(it has moved to the VR settings area) all my TIR problems have cleared up.

What does "relative view" do?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2016, 09:43:48 AM »
Makes the head movements relative toyour perspective as apposed to the vehicles I believe. When it is unchecked leaning side to side while looking any direction but forwards is confusing.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2016, 10:57:11 AM »
What does "relative view" do?

Since your screen does not rotate with you in track IR which way is left and right when looking behind you depends on your mental state.

One way is to see yourself is the chair is the air plane, if you are looking back and left in your chair, you would lean to the left side of the chair to move your head closer to the glass.

The other way is to think that your monitor is the plane so then when looking back left on the monitor you will see the canopy on the right side of the monitor, so you would lean to the right/font side of the chair to move your head closer to the glass.

Which you choose is simply what your mental picture is. There is no write or wrong.

The Object Relative is the 2nd type of view thinking.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2016, 11:47:18 AM »
Hitech,

Is there a reason why only 2-axis TIR can inherit the HPS file settings for PoV?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2016, 12:10:03 PM »
Hitech,

Is there a reason why only 2-axis TIR can inherit the HPS file settings for PoV?

This is all ready changed for the next patch. In the new patch the head origen for both VR and TIR is what is save in the settings.

HiTech

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2016, 04:11:48 PM »
I did a quick movie.  You can see at the start I turn my head and look back normally (turn then lean) and then I do it incorrectly.  See how that ends up looking into the seat.  After that I fly around and turn my head way too often but just to show you it can be done.  In my forward view you can see when shooting the view is pretty stable due to a small deadband.

You can see the view jump now and again in the forward view.  That is because I have my TIR re-centre button mapped to my stick so if I fee I am out of alignment when lining up shots I can instantly re-centre.

There is an artefact in the P51 which shows as a big dark grey canopy outline.  I will post in the bugs section for that.

https://youtu.be/yHRpDeIJSLg

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2016, 04:31:07 PM »
I did a quick movie.  You can see at the start I turn my head and look back normally (turn then lean) and then I do it incorrectly.  See how that ends up looking into the seat.  After that I fly around and turn my head way too often but just to show you it can be done.  In my forward view you can see when shooting the view is pretty stable due to a small deadband.

You can see the view jump now and again in the forward view.  That is because I have my TIR re-centre button mapped to my stick so if I fee I am out of alignment when lining up shots I can instantly re-centre.

There is an artefact in the P51 which shows as a big dark grey canopy outline.  I will post in the bugs section for that.

https://youtu.be/yHRpDeIJSLg

We just need to adjust the head bounding box on the p51d or any other airplane with the issue.

HiTech

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2016, 04:44:16 PM »
Nice! Yup, exactly how I use it. Easier to show than describe! That's it though, fellers! Its all about customizing the curves in each axis, to your needs. Deadband goes along way in defeating jerky or unstable viewing! Again, WELL DONE FESS
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2016, 05:05:42 PM »
I use f7 precision..
Seems to tighten it up
Also try slowing speed and smoothness
Might help
And have a button mapped to center view
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2016, 05:17:47 PM »
I use TIR and I just discovered the rear view in the P-38G is poorer than either the J or L.   I dont seem able to move my head as far forward in the 38G's cockpit before I turn to look behind - I *think* this may be due to the armorplate glass in the G's cockpit, which the J and L do not have?

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2016, 03:43:09 AM »
Thank for the help for those that posted. I got a chance to look at this and I'm very sorry but its just . . . wrong.

I can look behind my now. That is a relief! However, the way this works is you lean to the left to look out the right side of the canopy and vice versa. This isn't just counter intuitive, its just plain wrong. I've flown bubble canopied sailplanes in real life and that just plain isn't how it works. That is disorienting in the extreme. You should look and lean left to see down the left side all the way to the tail. Same for the right.

Then it is small amounts of turning, with massive amounts of lean to look to the side. The head box just seems very constricting. If you turn around far enough you just look at the headrest no matter how far you lean. That isn't right either. If you have leaned to the point of putting your head on the canopy and turn to see behind, you should see behind. There is just no two ways about it.

As to the forward view, it is impossible to lock your head forward. Keep in mind the differences between a real pilot and computer pilot. A real pilot is strapped into a non-moving chair and so looking forward is relatively constrained. A real pilot has limited movement and finding forward is easy. A computer pilot sits in a rolling and tilting chair and so having zero relative movement between the chair and the TIR sensor is a nice thought but not really achievable. Throw in rudder pedals and body English and keeping the forward view becomes its OWN game with shooting becoming secondary. 

A computer pilot needs to be able to lock the view forward to shoot and KNOW that its in the exact right position for shooting right NOW, not hunting around to find the right place.

The aim point and bullet drop seem to be off, particularly compared to AH2. The bullets drop so far that high angle deflection shots are almost impossible since the relative position of the aim point and bullet impact are very disconnected.

I love the eye candy! But control of the view is the game issue. The graphics are beautiful but with these issues, air combat is more like rolling dice than it is about control. Throw in the fact that the game seems to lose the graphics drivers on a regular basis every 20 minutes or so and a person wonders what they are doing with trying to make this work. IMHO, air combat is about precision. The pilot needs to be able to KNOW exactly what they are doing with their computer body in the computer plane and not guess.

It seems very much like the simple solution is to look at the view keys locking the view. Its time honored, having been used for years and the pilot will always KNOW exactly what view they locked to, and not have it wavering around with random head movements. The update doesn't really add anything and actually subtracts from what a computer pilot has to do. You can work around it but it the same way you would work around flying while sitting on a basketball. It can be done but it doesn't really help the experience :).

Thanks! 
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2016, 03:51:30 AM »
The aim point and bullet drop seem to be off, particularly compared to AH2. The bullets drop so far that high angle deflection shots are almost impossible since the relative position of the aim point and bullet impact are very disconnected. . .

I don't think that's right. I made a custom sight a long time ago for hitting at 800 yards with high deflection angles (unloaded) and it works exactly like it did in AH2.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.