Author Topic: Just way too many trees  (Read 9607 times)

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
Just way too many trees
« on: September 10, 2016, 08:30:22 PM »
My opinion, there are just way to many trees.  Jimany Christmas, you almost cant see your barrel in a gv from all the trees everywhere. 
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
Re: Just way too many trees
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 08:35:06 PM »
Get out of the city and take a look around.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 11:40:58 PM »
It's amazing how quickly we adapt to it. Give it a chance and you'll never want to go back.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 12:25:53 AM »
I initially thought the trees in AH3 were overdone as well (biased because they kill my frame rate).  But being OCD with too much time on my hands I went ahead and measured the tree density in AH3 and compared it to tree density of "real life", for the European terrain set.  The tree density in AH3 is actually on the low side of the range in real life.  (This is because there is almost no natural forests left, every tree has been cut down and whats left is a semi managed forest with higher tree density for economic purposes.) 

A separate issue, of course, is the affect on GV game play.  As Easyscor mentioned the people who attend the AvA Thursday Night Tank Fights have been adapting after first complaining that there's way too many trees.  If after several months of GVing in forests people still have trouble finding each other to the point that it adversely affects game play, then maybe that would be the time to lobby HTC to cut some of them down.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 04:12:25 AM »
I initially thought the trees in AH3 were overdone as well (biased because they kill my frame rate).  But being OCD with too much time on my hands I went ahead and measured the tree density in AH3 and compared it to tree density of "real life", for the European terrain set.  The tree density in AH3 is actually on the low side of the range in real life.  (This is because there is almost no natural forests left, every tree has been cut down and whats left is a semi managed forest with higher tree density for economic purposes.) 

A separate issue, of course, is the affect on GV game play.  As Easyscor mentioned the people who attend the AvA Thursday Night Tank Fights have been adapting after first complaining that there's way too many trees.  If after several months of GVing in forests people still have trouble finding each other to the point that it adversely affects game play, then maybe that would be the time to lobby HTC to cut some of them down.
Yup! And for all those who BI and complain about "bomb****s", all those trees really help. Its a lot more difficult to find a gv, when its parked under the trees or in the hedge rows! In AHII when I would take up my stealth bomber (Spit XVI) it was pretty easy to keep an eye one the GVs to line up a bomb run. In AHIII, if they are moving and I see them on a fly by, all they need do is kill there engine and disappear. Yes this worked in AHII, but nowhere near as well as in AHIII
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 06:11:36 AM »
I have come to learn that GV-ing in AH3 is deeply personal - if you know there is a GV out there to kill.  You need to get up close and personal.  I have been enjoying that aspect of the game quite a lot.  I have also learned that spawn camping from 2000-2500 yds away (even 1500-1800 in some cases) is not possible with the trees.  Which doesn't bother me much.  Also, even though the crater in AH3 has a rim and it looks like a crater, it's not the same CraterMA.  There really are too many trees in the crater.  I think the terrain is fine, but the tree density needs to be adjusted downward if we hope to improve over AH2's CraterMA.  Finding enjoyable game play in the current AH3 crater is really tough.  Other than that, AH3 is an order of magnitude better than AH2.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 10:41:48 AM »
I've also been considering a ring on the map (about a mile in radius but will be a host setting) that turns red if there is an enemy in that mile.

HiTech

Offline Rebel28

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 11:43:06 AM »
Move the trees around the field 88's not allowing you to depress guns in a large area of their protection zone. Or make it so I can blow the darn things out of the way. :) Fixed field guns would have a full 360 deg. clear field of fire.
4th Fighter Group
~ The Gunslingers ~

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 11:52:32 AM »
I like the trees--except when I try to ditch.  Lol

But I am a tree person in real life. 

Once get my rig updated I am going max settings on the trees!   :rock
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 01:23:38 PM »
I was thinking after having a few drives and chasing a GV through all that stuff that it would be nice if the small shrubby trees you can drive through would flatten to the ground for a set amount of time.... this could be a visual cue that a GV has been through recently...
My initial thought was damn...the guy I'm chasing could just sit on the other side of one of these tree rows and wait for me to pop through....I would not have seen him till too late.. I was definitely thankful for the air con who could tell me that he was still on the move away from me

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 02:08:27 PM »
Yup That could be fun, sort of like how bomb craters hang around for a time. Even just tread marks across fields would help. I will admit though, I am more the "bomb****ER" than "bomb****EE" lol Easier to see them buggers from the air! Well used to be ;0
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 02:12:41 PM »
I was thinking after having a few drives and chasing a GV through all that stuff that it would be nice if the small shrubby trees you can drive through would flatten to the ground for a set amount of time.... this could be a visual cue that a GV has been through recently...
My initial thought was damn...the guy I'm chasing could just sit on the other side of one of these tree rows and wait for me to pop through....I would not have seen him till too late.. I was definitely thankful for the air con who could tell me that he was still on the move away from me

hmmm,  dust trail (smoke) that doesn't vanish immediately and can be seen from the air.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 03:30:27 PM »
The next Thursday Night Tank Night will be on the tankland terrain in the AvA.

Come get some practice and have fun at the same time. All are welcome!

It starts at 8pm EST, on September 15th.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 04:24:10 PM »
I've also been considering a ring on the map (about a mile in radius but will be a host setting) that turns red if there is an enemy in that mile.

HiTech

That may only help planes find the hiding M3 or tank faster just to drop and egg on it. A GV only ring will probably just have 2 GV's sitting static waiting for someone to start up and drive into the others gun sight.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 04:26:52 PM »
To me the maps I've seen look like beautiful green Pacific terrain. I don't GV much but I get pleasure looking at the terrain from the air.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"