Author Topic: Panzerspähwagen  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Panzerspähwagen
« on: September 21, 2016, 09:17:08 PM »
Since we have (and have had for quite a while) the American/British M8 Greyhound armored car, are we ever going to get any German Reconnaissance vehicles to go with it? There's certainly enough to chose from, and with a little imagination many could even match up as decent opponents to an Allied vehicle already in the game.

SdKfz 222 Leichter Panzerspähwagen (comparable to a Jeep, though with much better armament)- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leichter_Panzersp%C3%A4hwagen

Also has the ability to function as a light and fast AAA vehicle with its ability to elevate the guns vertically

SdKfz 231 8-rad series Schwerer Panzerspähwagen (comparable to the M8, though with historically better offroad performance and weaker armament) Essentially the same armament as the 222, though in a larger and more robust vehicle- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Panzersp%C3%A4hwagen

There is also the 233 variant, equipped with the same 75mm 'stumme' howitzer as the early model PzKpfw IV, which might be an interesting quick-raid vehicle in scenarios

SdKfz 234 series of Schwerer Panzerspähwagen (comperable to the Allied halftracks and fast TDs in a late-war ETO setup)- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SdKfz_234

The 234/1 was equipped with the same 20mm gun and 7.9mm MG combo as its predecessors, with the same ability to elevate the gun for AAA use.

The 234/2 Puma, the most famous variant, is equipped with the same 50mm KwK39 L/60 as the later models of the PzKpfw III, in a fully enclosed armored turret,giving it impressive firepower for an Armored Car.

The 234/3 was equipped with the same 75mm Howitzer as the SdKfz 233.

Lastly, the SdKfz 234/4, while weighed down and losing its mobility somewhat, was armed with the same 75mm PaK40 L/46 as the late model PzKpfw IV, making it a potential German counterpart to the M18 GMC in a 19-44-45 ETO setup.

Unlike many German vehicles that could be requested, all of the above were actual mass-produced (though some in limited numbers) combat deployed vehicles, not 'paper panzers'.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Panzerspähwagen
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 09:37:01 PM »
You could have squad duels with a version of this with a 3.7 and the M8 running around on some terrain with farm fields bordered with trees.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 09:39:50 PM »
Good lord, who made the model of the 234/1?  I've never seen anything like it.

- oldman

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 10:31:43 PM »
+1   :x
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 02:20:59 AM »
Good lord, who made the model of the 234/1?  I've never seen anything like it.

- oldman

Tamiya.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 08:42:07 AM »
I'm not so sure the 222 and a 20mm would be worth anything UNLESS HTC allowed for it to see enemy gv icons at certain ranges (less than 1000?), or of course allow it to carry gv supps and 2-3 troops.

I think AH and HTC would be best served by adding in the SdKfz 234 and allowing multiple turret configurations similar to the M3 Halftrack. Allow for the short barreled 75mm for OBJ busting (no or few AP ammo), the 50mm for recon and light AP/HE missions (respectable AP ability too, mind you), and the long barreled 75mm for anti-tank missions (no or few HE shells).

Just like that, HTC could add in THREE new vehicles with three distinct and useful abilities.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 09:38:28 AM »
I'm not so sure the 222 and a 20mm would be worth anything UNLESS HTC allowed for it to see enemy gv icons at certain ranges (less than 1000?), or of course allow it to carry gv supps and 2-3 troops.

Considering that they could strap on a lot of external stowage (sorry the only good image I can find is a model) I can see a 222 easily carrying the same small load of supplies as a Jeep.

They also have space for 3-4 troops to hang on for the ride outside, which is one of their most useful features in the only sim/FPS type game I'm aware of them being in (Heroes & Generals). The same as the Jeep, they're pretty handy for rushing troops around a flank to secure a point and defend it from recapture against similar light vehicles.

Below is an SdKfz 223 (radio version of the 221/222) with four extra troops in addition o its normal crew.

Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 12:00:53 PM »
 :aok :aok
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 01:29:01 PM »
Tamiya.

Tamiya is the brand. I think he wants to know who built and painted it.  The paint job and weathering effects are truly impressive.

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 04:56:22 PM »
+1