Author Topic: a wish for more visable hit sprites  (Read 3967 times)

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
a wish for more visable hit sprites
« on: September 12, 2016, 10:38:04 AM »
I checked to see if a wish for more visible hit sprites where asked for--but only in past years-mostly for AH2.

so now I bring it up again-- can we have a little more visable hit sprites.
the other day I was in a 37mm manned gun and shot down 2 lancs, I didna know I hit them until they started burning. never once did I see a hit sprite...in fighters  really hard to see any hits sprites...engines smoke wings fall off or just plan blow up only way I know I hit them.

Please make hit sprites a little more visable----other posts in the past wish lists  even show real films of planes getting hit and see large visable hits
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: a wish for more visable hit sprites
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 12:17:22 PM »
At this point it looks like it is something with the FOV setting. Sprites and tracers seem about the same in AH3 as they did in AH2 but with the FOV at the new default of 80. When us old timers push it back out to 106 like we are use to in AH2 we lose the tracers and sprites.

I agree tho I'd like to see a bigger dramatic visual when we hit, it is a game after all.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 12:54:15 PM »
+1 OP
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 02:53:50 PM »
Have tried turning off shadows? Tracers and hit sprites get a bit bigger. Also it helped to pull back to 103 from 106 with the FoV.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »
MG hit sprites should remain how they are. Cannon rounds though could definitely stand out a bit more.. perhaps a bit more flashy and smokey when one impacts?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 03:14:04 PM »
MG hit sprites should remain how they are. Cannon rounds though could definitely stand out a bit more.. perhaps a bit more flashy and smokey when one impacts?

I can see neither.
”KILLER V”

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 04:15:40 PM »
Looks like mileage varying with hardware solutions.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 05:43:10 PM »
At this point it looks like it is something with the FOV setting. Sprites and tracers seem about the same in AH3 as they did in AH2 but with the FOV at the new default of 80. When us old timers push it back out to 106 like we are use to in AH2 we lose the tracers and sprites.

I agree tho I'd like to see a bigger dramatic visual when we hit, it is a game after all.

rgr that i'll mess with FOV some more
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 06:31:22 PM »
Okay now I am completely confused.   Why should FOV change anything between 2 and 3?

If I use 100 in both the effect should be the same, yes?

:headscratch:
”KILLER V”

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 06:37:12 PM »
Probably a side effect of the new graphics engine.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 10:03:05 PM »
Okay now I am completely confused.   Why should FOV change anything between 2 and 3?

If I use 100 in both the effect should be the same, yes?

:headscratch:

I don't know if this is how it works but this is the logic I follow. As you change your FOV from 80 to 106, things appear to be smaller. This I would think would include the tracers and hit sprites. Being small at 80 FOV, they are even smaller and harder to see at 106.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 10:12:48 PM »
+1 on brighter tracers and hit sprites.

Game handle: HellBuck

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 01:51:16 PM »
I tried 5 different F.O.V.'s and none made a difference

on this youtube video, you can clearly the hit sprites on all
e planes in this video being shot at.   thhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCiHa0h-6Rs

please consider this
 :joystick:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:56:02 PM by lunatic1 »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 02:51:40 PM »
Ok, who shot the Spitfire 21:30?  :devil
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 05:50:17 PM »
I tried 5 different F.O.V.'s and none made a difference

on this youtube video, you can clearly the hit sprites on all
e planes in this video being shot at.   thhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCiHa0h-6Rs

please consider this
 :joystick:

Have you ever looked at the size of the aircraft displayed in the film, consider the average area of the guncam cell is equal to a 100Mil ring because the camera was designed that way? Then attempted to pull up that close to a drone offline so it sizes about the same through your gunsight zoomed to make a 100Mil ring 2 inches in diameter on your screen? Hitech made it all to real world scale, so FOV above 80, you are shrinking your world to see more of it.

Is the real problem that all of you want to not have to use zoom past 400 yards with a FOV of 106-120? Offline at 400-800 yards the hit flashes are to scale which means they become hard to see with a higher FOV number. HE cannon rounds, the flash size could be a bit larger for 20mm, 30-37mm especially when they detonate. Tracers through the gunsight really look like they begin burning about 200-300 yards after leaving the barrel.

Here, I screen captured from the posted film and placed the 100Mil reticle ring onto the frame. The Germans did some films that way and it was surprising how close the pilots were while shooting. Look at the film again using these cells as a guide to determine how far away the con is when you can actually see bright hit sprites versus the impact debree plums, coolant, and any out gassing from air bottles. The 190 early in the film had it's 20mm wing ammo hit by an API round which caused all the rounds to detonate.

650yds

200yds

250yds

400yds

100yds

bustr - POTW 1st Wing