Author Topic: 80 default fov, why?  (Read 2039 times)

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
80 default fov, why?
« on: September 12, 2016, 10:25:46 PM »
Why is 80 the default fov?

I can read things like the gauges (if I tilt my darn view!) and tracers better when I use it, but the game is unplayable for me at 80.

When I go to 106, I can see the gauges, but can't read them because they are blurry. I can't even see the red TAS mark. To me, this is almost as bad and again, makes the game unfun.

Why not make 106 the default and have things look good in 106?

A friend who just tried 80 said "who the hell would use this? The gauges and ammo counter aren't even on my screen!"

Is 80 used because of some flux capacitor computery reason?
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
Re: 80 default fov, why?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:47:48 PM »
It might be the default setting but you can easily change it in your startup video settings by entering manual setting to 106. Done.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 12:09:40 AM »
I think it is so you immediately learn how to work with the game, and start asking questions.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 12:26:20 AM »
Why is 80 the default fov?

I can read things like the gauges (if I tilt my darn view!) and tracers better when I use it, but the game is unplayable for me at 80.

When I go to 106, I can see the gauges, but can't read them because they are blurry. I can't even see the red TAS mark. To me, this is almost as bad and again, makes the game unfun.

Why not make 106 the default and have things look good in 106?

A friend who just tried 80 said "who the hell would use this? The gauges and ammo counter aren't even on my screen!"

Is 80 used because of some flux capacitor computery reason?

Games like War Thunder also use a FOV of 80.  My guess is that it was done to make it easier for new players coming from games like War Thunder and World of Warplanes to become familiar with flying in AH3.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 01:13:56 AM »
Yes that, also I believe I read something about this, some time ago on the Test forums. The 80 FOV gave better Graphics(frame rates mostly) because there were less pixels drawn and still gave descent object detail. Its easy enough to change it, although, you may find FPS take a big hit on a mediocre card. If so, drop your resolution down 1 notch. For me it was 1928 x 1080, and the drop to 1600 x 1050 was big improvement. I would suggest using the smallest FOV you can play with, it will help you a lot. I use 93, right in the middle of New and Old. Most of these issues have been discussed and discussed so you can always do a search for key words on here. Its been in Open testing now for a year plus, so pretty sure it would have made the list. Welcome to the party!!! Better late than never!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 06:00:54 AM »
I've been in and out of the alpha beta party. It has been mentioned.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 06:20:50 AM »
The softness of the edges of the gauges is due to anti-aliasing.  Disable it if you do not care for it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 12:42:52 PM »
It might be the default setting but you can easily change it in your startup video settings by entering manual setting to 106. Done.

Did you read the post? 106 sucks for different reasons.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 12:45:27 PM »
The softness of the edges of the gauges is due to anti-aliasing.  Disable it if you do not care for it.

AA was disabled, thanks. Maybe it's the 750 ti that isn't cutting it. I just don't want to spend $ on a new vid card and then see the same issue.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 01:02:21 PM »
AA was disabled, thanks. Maybe it's the 750 ti that isn't cutting it. I just don't want to spend $ on a new vid card and then see the same issue.

What texture size are you running at (Video Settings->Maximum Texture Size)?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 01:23:09 PM »

Im running the 750 (non-TI) and having no problems at all.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 02:27:05 PM »

That makes the skins look terrible, Skuzzy.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 02:34:29 PM »

That makes the skins look terrible, Skuzzy.

It makes a lot of things look worse, but some people do not care for the softness of the gauges.  I kind of like it myself.  They are still easy to read.

Just trying to figure out what people are seeing when they complain about not being able to read the gauges as they are too fuzzy.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 02:39:52 PM »
I find the looks, particularly the external view on my bombers, quite ugly without AA. But with AA on, the icon text becomes faint and almost unreadable at times  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 02:47:00 PM »
My vision is about 160 degrees peripheral, I wish I could get a oculus that could do that. Imagine how immersive as £%^$ that would be  :D
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho