Author Topic: Hit sprites  (Read 6316 times)

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Re: Hit sprites
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2016, 03:07:11 PM »
I  do not like the new hit sprites at all. I loved the older small ones. The new ones take away from the immersion as they look like giant cartoony tennis balls.

It would be sur-imposing a boxing match with these :

:rofl
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 05:28:23 PM »
For a decade they screamed at Hitech for more realism. They finally get more realism and they scream at Hitech to give them back their gamey realism because they don't want to learn how to shoot effectively with tracers off. Most players are using the first hit sprite to braille their way to kills. Without them, most will not as you have seen find the game fun. That old saying, I'm paying for fun, I go to work for hard knocks.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2016, 06:31:18 PM »
I agree with Frenchy.  They are too big now.  I like the fact they are bright but too big.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2016, 06:34:11 PM »
I like them just fine.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2016, 08:41:02 PM »
I would like to have the smaller ones back, or at least an option to reduce them. Film is much more convincing when it is realistic in every possible way and might serve to attract customers.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2016, 08:51:02 PM »
Firing at a plane from a wirble they are small but clearly visible. About the same as in AH2. Hits on GVs that are not killers are also small. The only big sprites I have seen are hits that kill GVs and I agree they are a little cartoony. I wonder if they look diferent to each of us?
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2016, 08:57:32 PM »
I don't wee large sprites, I now see what I used to see in AHII.  Leave them alone please.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 11:27:36 PM »
Hardware Wars......most probably see them the same as AH2 now.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2016, 08:16:58 AM »
For a decade they screamed at Hitech for more realism. They finally get more realism and they scream at Hitech to give them back their gamey realism because they don't want to learn how to shoot effectively with tracers off. Most players are using the first hit sprite to braille their way to kills. Without them, most will not as you have seen find the game fun. That old saying, I'm paying for fun, I go to work for hard knocks.

Until the introduction of the K-14 and the german EZ 42 gunsights used later in the war (1943-44 and only experimentally in 200 German planes) and as far as I know we dont have in AH. Tracers were anything but uncommon in WWII. Certainly more common then the guy who wants to be able to sneak up on opponents with tracers off so if he misses the opponent doesn't know he's being shot at.
that IS realism.

And so long as you have the ability to turn them off. Why the hell do you even care?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:19:43 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2016, 08:24:09 AM »
Because it is not only the tracers, but the hit sprites as well. Smaller is more realistic. It was looking really good at the end of beta.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2016, 08:44:48 AM »
Because it is not only the tracers, but the hit sprites as well. Smaller is more realistic. It was looking really good at the end of beta.

When compared to virtually every actual gun cam footage I've seen. IRL what we call hit sprites actually varied in size from nearly non existent little specks to large flashes.
So, I dissagree.
Most of the time. least on my computer. I didnt see any hit sprites or evidence of a hit at all unless something fell off. Now yes. Many of these were misses. But also I know many were hits because I'd suddenly hear a delayed explosion or I'd get a kill later while someone else would only get assists on planes I didnt think I hit
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2016, 09:01:52 AM »
When compared to virtually every actual gun cam footage I've seen. IRL what we call hit sprites actually varied in size from nearly non existent little specks to large flashes.
So, I dissagree.

Then because you didn't see them you can't be much of a judge, wouldn't you say? It would have been a trivial matter to make convincing video from what we had, but not from what we have now.

I wish they would make it an option for the user to change the sizes. Then you could have it your way, and I mine.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2016, 09:28:12 AM »
Then because you didn't see them you can't be much of a judge, wouldn't you say? It would have been a trivial matter to make convincing video from what we had, but not from what we have now.

I wish they would make it an option for the user to change the sizes. Then you could have it your way, and I mine.

Noo. Because in most RL instances there is some significant visual indicator you have hit something. Usually flashes or as we call them. Hit sprites. Or mini small explosions on the target.

Not being able to see hits at all occurring should be the exception. Not the norm. For me it was the norm even when I was getting good and significant hits

You can pick a film of your own but if you look for yourself you will see hit sprites of all sizes. Not just tiny microdot ones which usually you mostly see at greater ranges or hardened targets. To say smaller is more realistically accurate isnt accurate.

Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2016, 09:46:08 AM »
Hmm, that's what I was seeing. Maybe your frame rate is too low?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2016, 11:21:30 AM »
In the beginning If I went in to strafe a field my rates actually dropped to the low teens but that was with most of the eye candy bumped up pretty high.
Through trial and error Im now depending on the situation getting pretty decent looking graphics with frame rates ranging from the 30's to the upper 50's. About the same as i was getting in AH2.

Take into account maybe I have an 8 year old machine and tomorrow at 12:20 PM my eyes will be 55 years old.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty