Author Topic: 21.9 aspect ratio, Ultrawide moniter support?  (Read 1701 times)

Offline firebird

• Zinc Member
21.9 aspect ratio, Ultrawide moniter support?
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:43:39 PM »
Does anyone know if AH3 supports or "will" support the 21.9 aspect ratio monitors? I'm thinking about buying one of the LG 34" ultrawide moniters and I know alot of newer games do not support this aspect ratio yet, and it will have black bars taking up the space on the sides of the screen to fill the space not used wich is ugly. Thanks

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: 21.9 aspect ratio, Ultrawide moniter support?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 12:52:21 PM »
Yes.

AH supports any resolution your system uses.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 01:01:28 PM »
I have a 2560 by 1080 monitor as Bizman said, it works great.  Make sure your screen resolution matches your game resolution.  If not you will have problems.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 01:04:24 PM »
I'm using 3 x 19" monitors linked together for a 3840 x 1024 ration on my system - and it's fantastic :)

The only issue I have is with the FOV settings on the new AH3 compared to AH2 and it takes some getting used to but otherwise yes all works very well.

Cheers!
Elec1

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 01:20:58 PM »
I'm using 3 x 19" monitors linked together for a 3840 x 1024 ration on my system - and it's fantastic :)

The only issue I have is with the FOV settings on the new AH3 compared to AH2 and it takes some getting used to but otherwise yes all works very well.

Cheers!
Elec1

I suppose you know how to change them if you want to... The start splash clipboard, video settings for those who didn't know.  :salute
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline firebird

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 02:20:52 PM »
That's great news, thanks. Anyone have a photo of what AH3 looks like on a ultrawide?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 02:26:27 PM »
Does anyone know if AH3 supports or "will" support the 21.9 aspect ratio monitors? I'm thinking about buying one of the LG 34" ultrawide moniters and I know alot of newer games do not support this aspect ratio yet, and it will have black bars taking up the space on the sides of the screen to fill the space not used wich is ugly. Thanks

Aces High lets you pick a FOV from 45 to 152.

That's great news, thanks. Anyone have a photo of what AH3 looks like on a ultrawide?

Set a wide FOV like 120 -152, take a screenshot, then cut the top and bottom of your picture to match the aspect ratio you want to see.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 03:21:42 PM »
Yes.

AH supports any resolution your system uses.

Just a slight clarification.  Aces High III will support any video resolution the video card reports it will support.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 03:48:02 PM »
I played AH2 on the Dell 34" wide curved monitor.  It played well but I found the ratio was lacking in the vertical aspect.  I went to a 4k monitor after that but am now on a 144Hz 27" standard screen.  Faster response rate and high frame rates are worth more to me than the wider view.

Offline firebird

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 04:24:38 PM »
Hi fess67, yea that Dell 34" is what I'm thinking about too. Could you go into more detail by what you meant about it lacking in vertical aspect? Like did it look weird because those screens are so much wider than they are tall? What kind of difference is a 144Hz monitor compared to a say 60Hz monitor? I'm also considering a higher Hz monitor at 24 or 27". Thanks man

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 05:31:23 PM »
In air combat looking up is more useful than looking to the side. Wide screen is great for driving. 16x10 is better for flying than 16x9 but 16x9 is ok.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 07:04:50 PM »
As FLS said, you will spend more time looking up than to the side in an air combat game.  Stands to reason then that you ideally want more screen real estate in the vertical than the horizontal.  I have experimented with many monitors and I have to say I am really happy with the Acer XB270HU.  At 4ms it is not the fastest refresh rate but other than that I really get on well with it and the 144 FPS is nice :)

My LG 4k monitor looks sweet (LG 31MU97) but things get real small at that resolution and it is caped at 60 fps.  I have not tried it with AH3 so might give it a god one day soon :)

I also have a setup for my car racing and that is 3 x Dell 30" screens (U3014) in landscape mode.  I did try AH2 with the screens in portrait and that did give me more of the vertical view I was looking for but the bevels between the screens got in the way sometimes and I found an issue with the clouds / landscape appearing to go backwards on the side screens which I found really distracting.

Just to state the obvious as well, the more pixels you display the more you are going to need a decent video card so make sure that part of the equation is in place as well.  I have 2 x GTX980s for my flying rig however I have found no advantage to SLI at all and run on just 1 card now.

Offline firebird

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 10:02:15 PM »
Hi FESS, I'm going to have to call you the "hardware man" lol. You got all the goodies! That's cool. I'm going tomorrow to buy my parts for my new pc build. It's gonna have i5-6500 cpu, and the new gtx 1060 6gb gpu. Can't wait to get it built " tomorrow evening hopefully ". I'm thinking about geting a cheap 24" ips monitor for now, and saving up for higher end ultrawide next year maybe. I'd love to see your flight and racing pc setup, it sounds sweet. BTW what's your ingame name?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 08:40:01 AM »
I played AH2 on the Dell 34" wide curved monitor.  It played well but I found the ratio was lacking in the vertical aspect.  I went to a 4k monitor after that but am now on a 144Hz 27" standard screen.  Faster response rate and high frame rates are worth more to me than the wider view.

I wonder what it would look like if you rotated the monitor to portrait?

HiTech

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 08:46:39 AM »
With three monitors in portrait mode you are better to also stick to standard ratios (what I found). A single monitor in portrait is also limiting.

Next year I will probably go to six UHD monitors, but smaller than I am using now. Just seems like that is in my future.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.