Author Topic: Bomber unfriendly  (Read 745 times)

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
Bomber unfriendly
« on: September 14, 2016, 04:09:06 PM »
There's a lot I don't like about ah3 (sorry) but i'll focus on my top 4.

1) Pre-existing damage to town buildings and strat objects is a lot less obvious--it's hard to tell what's up and what's down in your bombsite, so I find myself bombing dead stuff unnecessarily.

2) As for the bombsite, it has a narrower field of view than in AH2. I find my target coming into bombsite view at the last moment so it's harder to line up properly.

3) Maps! Need maps of targets, like in AH2! Buff pilots don't just throw ords around, they bomb with a purpose. Need to know what's where so we can line up on our targets.

4) Bombs cause strats significantly less damage in AH3 than AH2, making much of what I do not worth doing (and thus the game not worth playing). Using Tu2s as an example and starting with my strat target full up...

AAA strat: AH2 38%, AH3 71%
City:        AH2 82%, AH3 95%

Those are my average #s. Granted I haven't figured out the sweet spots at the strats in AH3 yet so I'm inefficient in AH3, but really, that much difference? And I took down 13 objects in my one AH3 city run (which is my average in AH2), but for far inferior results. Are there that many more objects to kill at city, so much smaller % can be taken down on one run? Then what's the point in flying buffs for an hour when the result is negligible?

Really hope these things get adjusted. It's simply not fun any more feeling what I'm doing is virtually useless.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: Bomber unfriendly
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 04:48:00 PM »
For #4: It should require a few people to bring down a strat effectively, not a solo pilot flying 2+/- passes.

Course the other side of that coin is: Fat chance of getting more than your drones to join you in a strat raid, let alone for the numerous runs to actually hurt the side you are hitting.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 05:50:45 PM »
Could not agree with you more molbydenum!!! +1 to that!!!

I have also said the same thing for a while now as I fly predominantly bombers (and a few of us do that - because it's what we do / like / are good at). The game has changed somewhat but I am finding myself getting more used to some of the strats.

AAA in B-17's you can take down fairly well along with the Ammo strat. The same goes for Radar. The one I struggle with though is the City strat. It is much more spread out and difficult to do any significant damage in one run. I've done it in 17's, Lanc's with 1000 lb bombs, and B29's with the 500 lb bombs. Varying results but still not able to get a real significant drop on it. Definitely a lot of wasted time for little effect.

Cheers!
Elec1

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 06:00:09 PM »
1) I always had found to be able to identify damaged objects at a glance from 34K a bit strange. The new, added difficulty (along with the occasional overcast over target) makes things more interesting for me.

2) Didn't actually noticed such a thing (which doesn't mean much). Did you set your FOV in AH3 to the same 106 as AH2 had?

3) They are coming. Meanwhile some nice maps are already being provided by players here in the forum for download.

4) That was actually some kind of gameplay problem before. With the split strats, there was no reason anymore to create 'big' bombing raids. Why bother with a mission when you can entirely smash any factory all by yourself and even bring down the City to less 50% in a B-29?

Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 06:03:31 PM »
I've done it in 17's, Lanc's with 1000 lb bombs, and B29's with the 500 lb bombs. Varying results but still not able to get a real significant drop on it. Definitely a lot of wasted time for little effect.

What would you call a "significant effect"? And what's badabout having ONE single target out of many that a single pilot can't smash all by himself?
You can sink CVs, shut down airfields, significantly hurt factories in AH3. I do not think it's bad to have a target that requires more effort than just a single pilot.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 06:40:42 PM »
Personally, I would like to see more destroyable targets at every strat (something like four times more), but have just 25% of that in actual damage count as 100% down. The bombers need to have a target at all times, too. So, maybe the host could 'suggest' missions to increase effectiveness?

And reduce the damage requirement on the 88s on top of the flack towers. I watched several fighters land direct hits with 500lb bombs to no affect.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:31:18 PM »
What would you call a "significant effect"? And what's badabout having ONE single target out of many that a single pilot can't smash all by himself?
You can sink CVs, shut down airfields, significantly hurt factories in AH3. I do not think it's bad to have a target that requires more effort than just a single pilot.

You get about half of the damage now on the city that you used to be able to - that's a significant change. When I fly a set of B29's for 1.5 - 2 hours and risk getting shotdown and losing a mass amount of perks I want the probability of the damage I used to get in AH2. It's the risk vs reward factor and now there is to much risk for not enough reward when hitting City strat. The others are not to bad...different layout so takes a bit to figure out best damage passes but City has changed significantly.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 01:26:42 AM »
You get about half of the damage now on the city that you used to be able to - that's a significant change. When I fly a set of B29's for 1.5 - 2 hours and risk getting shotdown and losing a mass amount of perks I want the probability of the damage I used to get in AH2. It's the risk vs reward factor and now there is to much risk for not enough reward when hitting City strat. The others are not to bad...different layout so takes a bit to figure out best damage passes but City has changed significantly.

I know it's a significant change, but my question was rather what you would consider to be a "significant drop on it".

And then, yes, it's much more difficult now, but then again it's the only target of it's class. We still can basically hammer down everything else as single bomber pilots. And it's good to have one target that's going to benefit from a true bomber mission. Which in the previous version basically ended for the most part when the central strats were disbanded.

Grab two friends and raid the city! Of fly single and smash fields, carriers, or one of the many factories  :airplane:

(BTW, I still raid the city all by myself if I got the time for that. Already lost a B-29 in the fierce AA fire over it, but bomber perks are so ludicrously easy to come by anyway...)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 02:33:33 AM »
Well, just found that a good (not perfect!) run in a B-29 with the 8x2k loadout can give you 69 destroyed CIT, which is about 23% of the city and thus bringing town downtimes from 30 to 57 minutes.
In my book, that's still pretty significant for a single pilot. As a matter of fact, I consider downtimes in excess of one hour somewhat detrimental. Doesn't help that much more with a base capture, but allows for easier recapture by the enemy (someone bring troops, I kill the ack, we can sneak it back).

The only 'issue' I have with the new city as a bomber pilot: It possibly renders the small bomb loadouts useless now. 250lb and 100lb / 50kg loadouts were doing great in the old city, it was the only place were those little bombs had actually some advantage over the standard "as big as possible" AH tactic.