Author Topic: Manifold Vs RPM Engine Sound levels  (Read 10442 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Manifold Vs RPM Engine Sound levels
« on: September 16, 2016, 08:17:36 PM »
I appreciate the effort to get the relationship between the Manifold (Engine Power) and Prop (Thrust) correct in AH3.  However, after flying the P38G it would appear that the associated engine sound is assigned to both, Manifold power and Prop thrust, thus when in a none powered glide with the throttle retarded there is still engine sound as a result of the prop lever  being full forward.  Anyone else notice this, please discuss?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Manifold Vs RPM Engine Sound levels
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 03:39:47 AM »
I think that it is controlled by aircraft speed, rpm, and load. I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Throttle level obviously plays a part in it too.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:46:51 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 04:40:41 AM »
I'm still having major sound problems. I think Htc will correct everything soon. I understand it is the first stages of AH3
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 06:11:21 AM »
Load up a film, go external view, and pan around airplane while in flight. Listen to how the engine speed sound changes drastically. Might be a clue what's possibly going wrong.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 06:32:31 AM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 06:46:37 AM »
Load up a film, go external view, and pan around airplane while in flight. Listen to how the engine speed sound changes drastically. Might be a clue what's possibly going wrong.

The sounds also change quite a bit, while looking around the cockpit online.  Not nearly as radical as in the film viewer, but something is not right.  This issue has yet to be addressed.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 07:26:22 AM »
The way that FMOD generates sounds for the game is different than the way it was in AH2. The way HTC approached it in AH2 was to minimize the size and number of audio files to make it economical, if you will. A few sounds that are used in many different machines makes sense when you want to make it easy on the various computers your users might use.

When HTC went to collect audio to use they came up with up to sixteen tracks (I don't know if that was interior or exterior, or both). For sure, interior sounds have almost nothing to do with exterior sounds. It's just the way sound works, so that when a man is inside of a canopy and close to the sound source that he will hear things differently than someone outside.

Listen to the 262. It is nearly perfect as is. Perhaps, it could use a little adjustment, but it's really, really good. There are other aircraft and vehicles that are probably very good, also. To make things perfect is going to take some time. I have been playing some of the aircraft and I think some like the Storch could probably work well with maybe a half dozen samples. Others like the 109s, or anything with that external whine/whistle could use many more, and I'm just talking engine sounds. You can't do that with what we had before.

I think this new system is going to be the best there is, but it is going to take time.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 10:24:08 AM »
I think that it is controlled by aircraft speed, rpm, and load. I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Throttle level obviously plays a part in it too.

NO, in the game the Engine Sound is associated with the throttle and throttle position, however, engine sound is also associated with RPM and really should not be, it should be a different sound, not the mechanical sound of the engine, but rather an associated wind sound from the prop generating thrust.  I should not change engine sound by changing prop pitch, that is advancing or retracting RPM. They had it pretty much right in AHII.  At least with the P38's.  My changing the fuel intake is the only thing that should alter the engine sound.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 10:34:23 AM »
No, load plays into the sound also. As the propeller loads and unloads the sound will change. If you are just on the ground changing the prop rpm, then no it shouldn't sound any different. Not to where you can hear it at least. Ascending/descending is different.

Now, the HTC projects folder does not include the more complex aircraft. It has the Fi156 only. It would be interesting to see how HTC did the sounds as they are now, but I didn't think I needed to see that from reading up on how this engine designer works. If you watch the FMOD video on how the load affects car engines, it should make more sense.

EDIT: for the curious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhFPoxo-N_g

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 10:44:40 AM »
You have two sources of the sound on an aircraft, the prop and the engine, most planes in the game have constant speed props so they will keep up the rpm even if thrust is reduced.  the way we fly, with full power and max rpm there should be a lot of noise from the prop that should disappear when prop rpm is reduced.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 10:47:43 AM »
The prop, the engine, the supercharger, the radiator, and on the F4Us there is the intercooler. And then there's exhaust. Now why would that be different from the engine?

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 11:10:35 AM »
I have commented on this before. When I cut the throttle, the sound stays the same only it get quitter.  The customs sounds I have in AH II, the engines sounds are different as the  throttle changes. The constant engine sound is annoying, to me anyway.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 11:24:05 AM »
I have commented on this before. When I cut the throttle, the sound stays the same only it get quitter.  The customs sounds I have in AH II, the engines sounds are different as the  throttle changes. The constant engine sound is annoying, to me anyway.

You are confusing prop noise and engine noise. In AH2 they were one sound together, in AH3 they are separate sounds. The constant sound that doesn't change much with the throttle is the RPM, lower the RPM and it changes.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 01:53:23 PM »
NO, in the game the Engine Sound is associated with the throttle and throttle position, however, engine sound is also associated with RPM and really should not be, it should be a different sound, not the mechanical sound of the engine, but rather an associated wind sound from the prop generating thrust.  I should not change engine sound by changing prop pitch, that is advancing or retracting RPM. They had it pretty much right in AHII.  At least with the P38's.  My changing the fuel intake is the only thing that should alter the engine sound.

This is 100% wrong.

HiTech

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 02:35:01 PM »
Something which will enlighten those who are confused by a constant speed propeller operation (and no this is not a slam....just trying to clear the fog of confusion).

http://www.askacfi.com/5912/rpm-and-power.htm
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 03:13:17 PM »
I should not change engine sound by changing prop pitch, that is advancing or retracting RPM.

Real life you hear a change in engine sound with RPM changes.  Sometimes only a little, sometimes a lot (like if you roll the RPM way back at high manifold settings)
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"