Author Topic: Country icons  (Read 4481 times)

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
Country icons
« on: September 17, 2016, 07:18:14 PM »
The country icon's before a players name is useless for two reasons. The first reason is, you can't make out what  country they are. (unless your icon is set to 16 or higher and that overwhelms the sky and plane). Number two, the enemy planes are a different color than friendly planes. Someone will say, you will be able to tell the different enemy countries. Please refer to first reason.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
Re: Country icons
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 07:36:24 PM »
My icon size is fairly small and I have no problems making out the country icons next to names.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 08:12:24 PM »
I have a little trouble distinguishing between the rook and bishop icon when I'm flying knight.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 09:19:48 PM »
I have a little trouble distinguishing between the rook and bishop icon when I'm flying knight.

Same here. but was never a problem in AH2
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 09:28:39 PM »
I find the entire icon hard to read most of the time. They fade in and out and are somewhat translucent
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 10:17:13 PM »
In VR the country part of the icons are impossible to make out at the size I like due to the lower resolution. If it was changed to something like 1, 2, or 3 dots stacked vertically for bishops, knights, and rooks, it would be easier to tell them apart.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 11:05:49 PM »
I find the entire icon hard to read most of the time. They fade in and out and are somewhat translucent

Try disabling anti-alias.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 02:15:36 AM »
I cannot tell the difference either and since I am colour blind I have all enemy set to the same colour

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 02:29:49 AM »
Try disabling anti-alias.

And there's my dilemma: Either I can't read the icons, or I get badly looking jagged lines.  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 02:36:20 AM »
I'll have to agree about ability to clearly distinguish the icon country.  It's like I make a good guess.  The shapes could just be more defined for me as a wish.
"One-Eye"

Online 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 03:35:03 AM »
That doesn't bother me at all! I never pay attention to the country icons. If I am on KnITS side of the map, they are knights. Well, except around tank town. More than likely you will see both any way! I like to confirm that the Knits and Rooks actually do fight each other! Also, my motto... If its red, its dead!!! Hopefully before he kills me lol
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 07:23:25 AM »
How about having the flashing base icons alternate color/black.  They would still be obviously flashing but would only use 1 color.
Gets a bit confusing having bases flash 2 colors, since the "opposite" color can be very close the "normal" color for a different country.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 08:25:03 AM »

same here. But I dont think the problem is so much the size of the icon as much as it is the drawing of the shape (rook/bishop) are too similar and elongated where as anyone who has ever played chess using classic pieces can tell ou the bishop is tall and thin and the rook is shorter and more stubby . The AH2 icons were much better
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 08:27:16 AM »
I'll have to agree about ability to clearly distinguish the icon country.  It's like I make a good guess.  The shapes could just be more defined for me as a wish.
A solution for this is to make each country its own separate color. For example. I have Rooks set up as showing in red. and bish in orange. Friendlies are the standard green
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 09:09:24 AM »
A solution for this is to make each country its own separate color. For example. I have Rooks set up as showing in red. and bish in orange. Friendlies are the standard green

This is what I do, too.  Green, red, orange.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.