Author Topic: Vehicle sounds  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Vehicle sounds
« on: September 19, 2016, 03:56:57 AM »
I can get this done for $3,000/vehicle. Driving, idling, shooting all guns. That's the reality of quality sounds. I don't think that's feasible for me right now. So, will have to work through with what I have already collected for samples.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Vehicle sounds
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 04:49:46 AM »
Did just notice the 3000/vehicle! AS in 3000 for each one? Ouchy! But would still be ok with helping out! lol
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 05:16:16 AM »
Like I said when I answered you in PM the ideal would be for the community to pool the funding and allow HTC to hire recordists on site. I could spend $30k just getting to England for Tankfest, but there are tanks right here in America that you can drive, shoot, and record.

I did some preliminary work by having gone through this already, and hiring a recordist is the best way. I have the same equipment that the pros do, but travel is not cheap and I'm really busy these days. FMOD really makes this easy once the sounds are collected, so I wouldn't be adding much to that process. I can do the work with what I have already, but it would always be lacking something and that would nag on my perfectionist side. I'm going to do it anyway because I love a challenge, but what AH3 really deserves is quality and I know there are going to be gaps. Otherwise, to get to completion it is going to take time.

(EDIT) This should help: http://www.drivetanks.com/tanks-tracks/

They offer packages that will lower the cost a little. A quality recordist goes for $650-1000 a day; double if you need video. There are recordists that specialize in aviation. And there may be collections out there, but they probably would not let go of a copyright. A recordist working the way I suggest would be contracted and the copyright established ahead of time as the property of the parent (HTC).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:27:02 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 05:40:16 AM »
Recordist working on the King Tiger: https://youtu.be/ES8W6op_N98?t=12m35s

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 10:42:04 AM »
Recorded by the guys at Drive Tanks dot com, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKcJhRCFW-A

EDIT: Quality suffers from low SPL mic I think.

And another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8aFVVh0bDo

Man you can really hear that GAA V8 engine!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:47:36 AM by Chalenge »

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 11:01:33 AM »
Thanks for sharing! It's too bad they didn't omit the music so we could the tank a little better.

I can get this done for $3,000/vehicle. Driving, idling, shooting all guns. That's the reality of quality sounds. I don't think that's feasible for me right now. So, will have to work through with what I have already collected for samples.

We had some great sound packs for AH2! Seems like there should be a way to adapt them to AH3 but then I'm way beyond my expertise when it comes to that.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 11:09:27 AM »
Yeah, completely different concept. Each engine in AH2 used one sound sample. In my case I mixed some sounds together to form that one sample, so it would sound good inside and outside. In AH3 we don't have to do that, because FMOD can do the mixing. What we need for better affect is to have many different samples, as referred to in the FMOD video I posted in another thread. Then you can set a transition curve and get better results.

Gun sounds will still work as single samples. That much is pretty easy. Same for explosions. In fact, FMOD can make many different sounds from a single sample by making random changes to the sound.

I am pretty sure that any good sound maker can make the transition into FMOD easily. After working with it just a little I would like to have captured cleaner audio to begin with, but I can make it work. But that 17pdr gun? That would be sweet to have a good recording on that.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 11:13:36 AM »
I'll be happy to tell a wirble from a tiger

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 11:16:02 AM »
You might not be able to tell a Wirbelwind from a Panzer. They have the same chassis and engine.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 11:23:23 AM »
They sounded different with the sound pack I had in AH2 but I always guessed that was artificial.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 11:34:18 AM »
Yeah, depends on the pack you were using also.

If you want to see how the new is different from the old ask a friend to fly a 262 in the Training arena while you circle his aircraft. It's just amazing. Those sounds can be created by recording samples in the FMOD profiler with a 3D offset added. It's really amazing.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 12:00:06 PM »
Chalenge: I assume you understand you can override default sound types with specific model names? I.E. Default/InlineProp/internal can be over riden with p51d/InlineProp/internal

HiTech

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »
Oh, yeah, that was day 1.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 12:11:36 PM »
AND, may I say that of all the things I could have wished for, this is the best thing I could have hoped for in return. I mean this is pure Christmas right here!