Author Topic: When in doubt, go to the source...  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: When in doubt, go to the source...
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2016, 06:41:30 AM »
I believe he was talking about deflection of the first notch of flaps which are slightly extended. If Dawger is correct then it should be 8 degrees deflection on a %50 extension. The Hinton video is showing the extension but to me it looks like more than 8 degrees deflection.

I agree on the8 degrees deflection, whoever, that's not %50 of the flap.  Unfortunately in AH we can't lower the flaps 50%, it's either something below or above.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2016, 07:10:30 AM »
I agree on the8 degrees deflection, whoever, that's not %50 of the flap.  Unfortunately in AH we can't lower the flaps 50%, it's either something below or above.

The 3rd notch of flaps looks like %50 to me.

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2016, 08:09:58 AM »
"..the question for Randy was what is the limit speed for a "combat" deflection of 10 degrees in other US fighters, is it as low as 250 MPH?"

P51:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-kwhapBgCtYMGlvVUlrZ2ZuaHM/view?usp=sharing

F4U: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-kwhapBgCtYWEFzMGNaam5FOUU/view?usp=sharing

P-47: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-kwhapBgCtYbHBTeko1dVNiWlU/view?usp=sharing
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2016, 08:48:30 AM »
If the Hinton video referenced is the POF flight with the P-40, you can clearly see the 8 degree maneuver selection, and the flap panel is about halfway past the trailing edge and then Hinton demonstrates why the new flap selector with a positive detent for maneuver flaps was so necessary.

The flaps go back up a bit as he fiddles with the selector before getting all the flaps out.

You can see from the shadow in the gap between the trailing edge and flap panel that the angle is minor in the first flap position.

If you compare the deflection angle of full flaps to the first angle, visually the angle difference between the two in the video appears to be full flaps is about five times the deflection of the maneuver setting at 4:25 in the video.

It is certainly much more than twice the maneuver setting, so the visual evidence alone tells you maneuver flap definately is NOT half deflection ( 20 degrees). It is something less than 20 and there is evidence for 8 degrees being the actual deflection number.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2016, 10:02:48 AM »
Here's a pic of the Redbull P-38 with flaps half extended. To me it looks like more than a minor angle. I know 30 degrees sounds like a lot for maneuver flaps. There are enough P-38s still around you'd think this would be a trivial question to answer.   :D

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2016, 12:29:09 PM »
The key is to compare that picture with the full flap angle as I stated before.

Full flaps is a LOT more than twice the angle in the picture.

So if that picture is 30 degrees ( it isnt but I will play along), full flaps is at least 90 degrees.

The ratio of the maneuver flaps to full flaps in ALL the visual evidence is at least 1 to 3 and looks more like 1 to 5 to me.

Most sources agree on 40 degrees for full flaps.

1 to 3 makes maneuver flaps 13.33 degrees. 1 to 5 makes maneuver flaps 8 degrees.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:33:42 PM by Dawger »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2016, 02:21:21 PM »

So whatever the degree's of flaps may be for maneuver (be it 1 click or 3 clicks) they need to be deploy-able at 250mph or less, and if it is 3 clicks, needs a "maneuver flap" button to program a single press to get it there. 

You can press or program 3 quick key presses and the flaps go straight to the %50 extension.