Author Topic: Somethings not right in Mudsville part two  (Read 1359 times)

funked

Somethings not right in Mudsville part two
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2000, 04:42:00 PM »
DOA, I have been at the WarBirds Con for a week and have yet to play AH 1.03 online or do any flight testing.  

Actually that's not true, I did a sea level check of the Fw 190A-5 and found that the maximum speed is appropriately lower than the A-8.

Anyways I'll let you know when I get bored enough to test things again.  

Offline niklas

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2000, 04:53:00 PM »
I did some calculations too.

First i got 100mph stall speed for the f4u-1c and 105mph for the A5.

With
A5:
A=18,9m^2
v=47m/s
P=1250kw

Fu41-c
A=28,8m^2
v=44,5m/s
P=1655kw

and g=9,81  and density=1,225 i got
camax 190: 1,51
camax f4u: 1,53

no big difference imo

I then did some calculation for acceleration, with Propforce = 0.8*Power/speed and Drag = (cw0+Kca^2)*wingarea*density/2*speed*speed

the result comparing 190A5 and F4u-1c from my calculation is:

I know that this is not the same like in AH, but i used for both AC the same method so WHEN i did a mistake i did it for both and no one should get a significant advantage.

some notes:
i got topspeed (measured with autospeed) near the ground for the F4u-1c of 359MPH. With a wingarea of 28.8m^2 this is a cd0 of ~0,0175. For the A5 i got cd0 ~0,0236

So HOW can cd0 for the f4u be SO much lower? it doesnīt have a laminar wing!

The problem of the F4U is imo the high factor K for the induced drag. I got earlier ~0,12 for the fw190 and ~0,19 for the fu4. In combination with a very low cd0 the point of lowest drag should be at higher speed than for the fw190. Letīs see

niklas

[This message has been edited by niklas (edited 06-27-2000).]

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2000, 12:47:00 PM »
Niklas,

What calculation did you use to get your Clmax? I am a newbee to physics arena so please let me know what you did so I can check it out with other A/C. I don't understand why our accelleration charts are different at low speed. What did you use for Cdi and Cdo and thrust at 50MPS. Sorry about the stupid questions. Trying to reverse engineer everything and I am new to this.

Funked,

I'm not contesting the max speeds of any of the AH plane set. Just the accelleration. What I have tested so far in AH shows the
A-5 accellerating rapidly away from the F4U. I believe based on my previous accelleration curve that they should be about equal. Also I tested the stall of the A5 and it seems to depart at 100mphtas. Niklas is getting 105mph so I'm not sure if he is measuring the stall buzzer or the departure. I need to see what calc Niklas used for ClMax to verify since he got a different result.
At the top of the post I was getting 1.72 for the Fw-190 which is to high for no flaps. Like I said I'm a newbee to this so if I am missing something let me know. But I am focusing on accelleration, Clmax and sustained turn speed.

Wells,

Your chart is based on the AH FM right? It shows the Max Climb of the F4U being 2535FPM.
Isn't that to low based on your own drag thrust calc? The AH charts even show the Max climb being almost 3200FPM 100%fuel WEP. I'm confused as to what you think is accurate.

Thanx
F4UDOA

Offline wells

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2000, 04:14:00 PM »

Your chart is based on the AH FM right? It shows the Max Climb of the F4U
          being 2535FPM.
          Isn't that to low based on your own drag thrust calc? The AH charts even
          show the Max climb being almost 3200FPM 100%fuel WEP. I'm confused as
          to what you think is accurate.

Yes, I did some testing in AH.  Check AHT and see what the MIL climb rate is at 12000 lbs.  It's just a hair over 2500 fpm, so the AH model would seem to match that data.  The calcs I sent you were for WEP, not MIL power.  I'd like to believe that the F4u-1 could climb better than 2500 fpm, but as I said before, proving it could be very difficult.  As Pyro mentioned, compare to the F4u-4, basically the same airframe and notice the climb rate difference, 800 fpm (a 30% increase) with only 100 extra HP (5% increase) and 400 more pounds of weight (3% heavier).  What explains that?  It could partly be the propeller or it could partly be that the higher induced drag of the -4 moves the best climb speed up the scale a bit.

Offline niklas

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2000, 04:52:00 PM »
First i used metric units. Iīm simply used to them (ca=cl, cw=cd) .
I made a little mistake, and put up a new pic.I added some other planes, too, have a look at the picture again

And something really important: Every formula i used, you used and everyone here used is so simple that itīs usually not enough to describe the characteristic of a real ac. A guy of a chair for flight mechanics told me that the mistake that you have with those simple formulas are often bigger than the differences between the ac.
I calculated with a constant prop effectivity from 100-400mph. I did not take into consideration that your elevator reduce total lift, and that this changes when you go faster. Drag from control surfaces, interferences between wing and airframe... there are so many variables

ok now to your question. I simply said Lift=weight*earth_acceleration or L=m*g
air density near the ground (i did all my tests near f8, sometimes i have the impression people do flight tests from fields which are in 1000-5000ft) is 1,225kg/m^3, g=8,81m/s^2
i calculated v[m/s]=v[mph]*1,61/3,6

m*9,81=camax*1,225/2 * A * v_min^2

I didnīt had a look at departure, i tried to hold the plane in the air.

BTW, i have an excellent table for drag coefficients for the 190A8, A9, D9, D12,  TA152-C1 , 152 E1, 152H1. According to this table the fw190A8 had a camax of 1,59, like the other ones except 152H with camax of 1,7.
The 190 had a NACA230 airfoil btw, same like the F4u (though different in itīs thickness etc.)

In Nacareport829 figure 14 and 15 are the camax values for the corsairs, in service condition ~1,25-1,3

i donīt know why our acc. charts are different because i donīt know your method. I only can see at your calculation that acc for 60m/s is higher than for 50m/s (??).

The problem is that you donīt know the effect of the control surfaces. In a slow flight you must pull a lot >> much "negativ lift". And you donīt know the exact K value for the calcultaion of the induced drag. From earlier glide test i calculated for myself some K values, but they are all very high compared to 1/pi*AR. Esspecially for small ac where you need theoretically bigger surfaces (neg. lift) to hold the plan stable, so maybe that makes the difference. The answer knows only HTC. But how i said, you can do many little calculation, in best case you come close to AH values. And i donīt think theyīre (mine included) good enough to demand some improvements.

For the drag calculation i used
cw=cw0+Kca^2
cw0 from maxspeed
K from the glide tests (unfortunality not possible anymore because of prop drag   )
ca like camax for every speed.
I donīt know exactly how to handle propeff. so i simple said:
Trust=0.8* Pmax(nominal)/v
Facc=Trust-Drag
acc=Facc/m
climb=acc*v/9,81

Thatīs it. If you want my excelsheet mail me
Corresponding climbrates would be for my calc:

niklas

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2000, 11:29:00 PM »
Niklas;

Off topic, sorry...  

What program did you use to convert that Excel chart to a gif file?

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

"You mess with the Bull, you get the horn."
Minotaur

Offline niklas

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2000, 02:02:00 AM »
mino, i copy it with copy-paste into the windows-paint-programm. That works fine  

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2000, 07:58:00 AM »

Originally posted by niklas:
mino, i copy it with copy-paste into the windows-paint-programm. That works fine  

<Sigh>

Sometimes the easiest ways are the hardest to discover.  

LOL    Thanks!

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

"You mess with the Bull, you get the horn."
Minotaur

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2000, 09:06:00 AM »
Handy little program to make batch conversions, compress photos, resize, make thumbnails pics of photos etc etc....
Irfan View

http://stud1.tuwien.ac.at/~e9227474/

btw: freeware  

I've changed some excel-charts to transparent .gifs with HyperSnap

[This message has been edited by Staga (edited 06-29-2000).]

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2000, 02:26:00 PM »
Gentlemen. There are things pyro and I always look at to see if we can do better at accuracy in the flight modeling.

As it stands today we are very confident that we hit climb rates,top speeds and accelerations. Plane acceleration is realy proportion to sustained climb rate for a plane at any given speed. i.e. thrust - total drag = acceleration and accel = climb rate given the mass of a plane dosn't change.

Any argument on this has to be that you disagree with our published charts, because we do hit those numbers.

Where we might have some more work to do is instantainous, and sustained turns. Since this discusion first began ive been wondering what factor could be off or 2. what we are not modeling correctly that could effect these 2 specific numbers. Both numbers especialy sustained turn rates is generaly not availible on most WWII aircraft or is given totaly with out any other background information needed like the test wieght.

We are continuing to look into the matter and have some idea's and test we might run to see if a change to a few items wil enhance the sustained turn rate accuracy Write now I feel it could be off but realy havn't seen any real evidence that it is.

On a side note please do not expect us to publish exactly how we model things. It realy is not to our benifit to debate or Inform people on modeling techniques that we have come up with over the years just to satisfy a players curosity.

HiTech

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2000, 10:55:00 PM »
Hitech,

I think you are missing my point. I have two goals in my line of questioning. One is two educate myself on aerodynamics and the Physics behind it. And two, the most obvious goal is two find out if the AH FM of the F4U-1D is correct. And from speaking to some of the more educated people on the message board I have a logical reason to belive what I have read repeatedly from multiple sources. Namely flight test reports involving the F4U-1 vrs the P-51B, F6F-3/5, FW190-A5 and A6M-2/5 Zero in which the only aircraft with a climb advantage over the F4U was the FW-190A5 and only at speeds above 150MPH and Below 250MPH. And none of the previous A/C could out accellerate it in these flight test. Apparently the Hitech creations has decided to go with a 100% Physics based flight model which is your choice. So I have decided to ask the people that know the most about aredynamics to tell me why the F4U-1D has the worst FM in AH with the possible exception of the Typhoon.
And there is some question as to weather all factors have been considered. Propeller efficiency, Cowl flaps open during climb closed during level flight accelleration, addition weight and drag from bomb racks and rocket launch rails that would not be present in a fighter configuration, lift coefficient of a 314sq ft wing affecting turn rate and radius. So basically I may not have the answers right now but at least I am finding the right questions. When I get the answers I will be sure to let you know. If the -1C cannons can be fixed for the LW boy's the FM can be fixed for a few American patriots. After all, it is the 4th of July weekend  

F4UDOA

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2000, 02:32:00 AM »
even tho i'm (and not everybody) flying the F4U is an american patriot (jeeeezz) any improvements to the acceleration would be appreciated

Keep going F4UDOA

RDRedwing

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2000, 04:18:00 AM »
yeah what Duckwing said!  

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2000, 09:33:00 AM »
The F4U alreadu has the best K/D in the arena. Why don't you just live with the great airplane you have.

RDRedwing

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2000, 09:38:00 AM »
Zig I fly the 1D exclusively... needlesss to say more right?