Author Topic: Frame-rate drop when Clipboard open  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
Re: Frame-rate drop when Clipboard open
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 08:19:51 AM »
I am not able to duplicate this on my home system with the 7950 video card.

I need to see a DXDIAG output from both of your systems.  I need to verify drivers and any other differences.

I just tested this on my box just now and outside of noticing the used mem amount displayed in HUD increasing approx. 2.2M (920.2M to 922.4M) when I brought up the selection menu with the clipboard open my FR never wavered more than 1-2 FPS (77-79 FPS) w\ GV spawns enabled or disabled, regardless of the other combination of selections enabled or disabled or whether the clipboard was open or closed.

So I couldn't duplicate it either.

Dxdiag's attached................

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2016, 09:53:24 AM »
On my AMD/ATI 4890 at the office, I can see a frame rate hit for each option, which I would expect.  Not really seeing a significant difference between enabling GV spawns or Radar circles.  They both seem to cause about a 4 frame rate drop each.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 10:03:14 AM »
By the way, the DX9 version is going to be faster when the clipboard is up.  It has to do with the efficiency of the draw calls used.  DX11 is not as efficient, in this particular instance.

Will continue reviewing this.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 10:20:02 AM »
I'll get you a dxdiag output tonight.

A few weeks ago, I updated the AMD drivers to the latest version, but I rolled back to an earlier version.  I can't remember why though.  My mind is full of work issues, so I tend to forget the minor problems with home PCs.

I'll install the more recent version again to do an apples to apples comparison.

I'll also post what ATI settings I have enabled as far as AA, etc.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 10:35:39 AM »
I would rather all the testing be done with everything at defaults (game and drivers).  Makes it easier to do comparative testing.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2016, 02:15:35 PM »

Will try to remember to post a new dxdiag tonight when I get home.

Thanks for looking into this, as it's been a real sticking point for me.

Might I be better off switching to use the DX9 version in the interim?
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 06:02:54 PM »
Attached are two dxdiags for you.  Dxdiag_1 is with my old driver, from last year.  Dxdiag_2 is with the updated driver that I just installed.

I tested again, offline, everything set to defaults in the ATI control panel.  Same result - Vehicle Spawns dropped the frame rate to 20.  Turning them off, back up to 59.

This was with the old driver, then installing the new driver and running the test again.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:29:33 PM by katanaso »
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2016, 09:26:23 PM »
I've always noticed a big dip in FPS when the clipboard is open, especially in AHII. (2)
It's kinda' clear that the game is trying to keep tabs on players position, but then you add the clipboard.  So now
it has to do it again.  Notice if you zoom the map out it will slow the FPS.  Zoom way into your position and it's all good.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2016, 06:25:09 AM »
Attached are two dxdiags for you.  Dxdiag_1 is with my old driver, from last year.  Dxdiag_2 is with the updated driver that I just installed.

I tested again, offline, everything set to defaults in the ATI control panel.  Same result - Vehicle Spawns dropped the frame rate to 20.  Turning them off, back up to 59.

This was with the old driver, then installing the new driver and running the test again.

Your old driver is one version older than what I am running on my system.  I did note your monitor is higher resolution, which would add higher loads to the video card.  I know it would be ugly, but try setting the resolution of the game to 1920x1080 and see what the results are.  I am just trying to see if our computers can match video performance, or get close.

Would it be too much to ask if you would try running your CPU at default clock speeds?  I am assuming you have over clocked it.  If not, you must have caught it in boost mode when you ran the DXDIAG.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2016, 12:28:41 PM »
I regressed to the 15.11 drivers.  The newer driver wouldn't keep my GPU overclock speeds after alt-tabbing or exiting the game a few times.  The older drivers work fine with it.

With both the newest driver and the 15.11, even at 1920x1080, the same thing happened.

I reset the CPU to the default multiplier (33) and had these results:

Res: 1440p, 59fps in the game, GPU 1108/1250, CPU 1.60GHz (3.30GHz)
First run:  2-3 fps drop when vehicle spawns enabled
Second run:  game froze, and the screen ended up white.  I had to end the AcesHigh process.
Third run: 2-3 fps drop, same as first run.

I then went back to BIOS, and set the CPU multiplier to 39 (so now, 3.9GHz).

When I tested again, adding the vehicle spawns dropped the fps to 18-20.

So, now we know there's something linked to the higher OC on the CPU.  Max temps under load, even with the OC are only 51-53c per core.

What's the next step?  It doesn't make sense to me.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2016, 12:58:40 PM »
It's not the overclock, per se.  If you overclock without paying attention to all the clocks it impacts, you can easily get parts of a system out of sync. You may overclock the CPU, but then other parts of the system may run slower so they can sync their clocks with the CPU.

Basic rule of thumb is to keep everything on a 33Mhz boundary (66Mhz will also do).

Also note, if you overclock after the OS is installed, it will be less efficient than if you install at the clock rate you are going to keep the system at.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2016, 01:11:22 PM »
It's not the overclock, per se.  If you overclock without paying attention to all the clocks it impacts, you can easily get parts of a system out of sync. You may overclock the CPU, but then other parts of the system may run slower so they can sync their clocks with the CPU.

Basic rule of thumb is to keep everything on a 33Mhz boundary (66Mhz will also do).

Also note, if you overclock after the OS is installed, it will be less efficient than if you install at the clock rate you are going to keep the system at.

Oh, yes, I understand.  I've been OCing since the Celeron 300A days, and understand the relationships between the different parts.

I'm stumped on why this one piece of the game causes an issue.  That's what doesn't make sense to me.  What is the Vehicle Spawn, in just the DX11 version, adding into the mix that causes some bottleneck somewhere?  Know what I mean?
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 08:09:43 AM »
It is not a bottleneck.  It is DirectX.

DX11 is just not efficient at drawing lines and needs more CPU than the DX9 version does.  As to exactly why your overclock is causing the slow down, I would need access to your BIOS information to get a grasp on that.

Is your BIOS up to date?  Could be a bug related to overclocking in the BIOS.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2016, 08:47:02 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't insinuating a bottleneck due to your guys' code.

The MB is a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4.  The BIOS is F6, which is the last BIOS before they released a Beta UEFI BIOS for it.  I wasn't going to do that.  However, the hardware and BIOS is from 2012.

I could give you all of the configs in the BIOS, but I wouldn't want to waste your time.  Knowing what the issue is makes it easy to 'avoid', especially since I can reduce the clock on the CPU and solve it. 

After get everything running on my new build, I think we could troubleshoot if the same problem appears.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"