Author Topic: Staged Mission Tutorial  (Read 2044 times)

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
Staged Mission Tutorial
« on: October 08, 2016, 09:06:39 AM »
I am starting a new thread to make sure everyone gets the latest version.  I cannot remove old versions so always go to the end of the thread to make sure you have the latest version.  This one is 3.

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
Re: Staged Mission Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 10:42:11 AM »
Version 4 has a few extra sentences about copying flights and warp segments.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 11:25:26 AM »
Big thanks! Just starting to get into this.  :aok
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »
Be aware there is a server level bug that currently prevents staged missions from operating in custom arenas.  It was "fixed" once before, but it is back.  Missions will hang up at the 2 second brief mark.  It is not a problem with the mission.

Offline Phast12

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 01:52:51 PM »
Great Write up!! Thanks :salute
Phast
JG4
WW1 - Jasta 11

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 10:53:22 AM »
The custom arena bug mentioned above is currently fixed.  It is apparently going to be a sporadic recurring problem so just be aware that if the mission hangs up at the 2 second mark in the briefing while in a custom arena, it is not a problem with the mission and HTC will eventually correct it.

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 05:56:45 PM »
Custom arena bug is back.

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 08:45:55 AM »
Custom arena staged missions were working as of last night, 10/14/16.  I forgot to mention I have several .mis files posted about 4 threads below, AH III mission I think is the title of the thread.  You may find it easier to edit those rather than start new.  Let me know if I need to change or add anything on the tutorial, can't believe I got it right the first try.  I could add a section on briefings, but I have gotten where I don't put them in since they are a delay when you are doing repetitive flying of staged missions.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 09:14:58 PM »
We have found it very easy to start them from scratch using just your tutorial. It really answered any questions we had and was very easy to use.

I don't think we'll using briefings at this time. We're using these mainly so I can train someone and I can get some gunnery practice.  Def nothing elaborate yet.

The only thing I would add to the tutorial that I can think of was a compass.
When I was reading to set in headings and i don't know them by heart, I jumped into the game and took a snapshot of a compass to have handy as I"m filling in the boxes.  I would have just referred to the one on your tutorial if it had, had one.  And that's just something that would have been handy. The tutorial stands without it.

I use it as a reference when I haven't been in there for a while so it's not really just a one time use thing either.
Very handy.  :cheers:
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 10:32:23 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I think I will also add a section on arena tables, but I have to do quite a bit of trial and error testing for some background on that, but there is a good post by Mongoose on arena tables in the custom arena forum.

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 09:37:08 AM »
Just a reminder the latest staged mission documentation will be posted on this thread, I can't remove previous threads or posts.

Offline vladzred

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 07:45:20 AM »
Thanks again for your work on the tutorial!  I was able to develop a simple mission, runs fine in the  arena.  Tried to upload to run in a private arena using ahupload, but get error code advising that the mission needs to be error checked.  When I do that, the editor finds no errors.  Any ideas...what am I missing....

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 05:34:59 PM »
That does happen from time to time.  The usual fix is bring up the AHIII uploader (currently ver 3, patch 10) and browse to the file, fill in log id etc, but leave upload mission to host unchecked, then click OK.  It will create a .res like the build res command in the editor.  Close those windows and then try uploading again.  Most of the time this works.  If not, open the Mission in the editor, make some small change, save it, build res and try uploading again.  On rare occasion, I have just had to start from scratch on the mission.  One of the mysteries of life in AH.  Post your .mis file if you cannot get it to work and I will see if I have the same luck.