Author Topic: "refurbished" evga 960, reasonable idea?  (Read 397 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
"refurbished" evga 960, reasonable idea?
« on: October 08, 2016, 01:06:11 PM »
My old box is a dell inspiron 531s with a new 500watt+ power supply, an Athalon 64 x 2 6000+ ~3.0GB, 4gig of memory running Vista 32. Looking for the cheapest way to get a playable frame rate I believe this card would work, (has drivers.) Is this a decent price?
Pies not kicks.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: "refurbished" evga 960, reasonable idea?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 01:10:34 PM »
You didn't tell the price.

It seems like a viable idea to be used until the support for Vista ends next April. After that, who knows, you might be able to find a decent Win7 system for that card or at least a valid license to be used on your current system.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Pies not kicks.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 11:31:45 PM »
You can get a brand new Zotac for the same price (actually $169) on Amazon. A 1060 is also just $199.99 which is more, I know.

Probably either one will be seriously bottlenecked, but you should be able to move it forward to your next system.

(EDIT) Comparison

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:35:41 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 05:13:17 AM »
Thanks for the upgrade.

As Chalenge said, a new one can be got for the same price and the new 1060 3 GB for just a little more. For such a small price difference I'd choose the 1060, it's faster and will be supported longer. Plus the extra 1 GB of RAM might be useful with future texture upgrades.

As for budget issues, I was offered a used card much better than my current one for €150. It's much less than the €250 the 1060 costs here. However I chose to save the 150 until my budget allows me to choose by quality instead of investing a good amount of money to something I can't wholeheartedly trust.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni