Author Topic: Thoughts regarding "Admiral Kuznetsov" deployment to Syria...  (Read 6489 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Thoughts regarding "Admiral Kuznetsov" deployment to Syria...
« on: October 24, 2016, 05:35:17 AM »
There are many reports regarding deployment of Russian carrier "Admiral Kuznetsov" to Syria. [1][2]

Also the reports tend to mock it a lot as barely functional carrier that travels with its own ocean going tug boat "just in case"... but they also report it is the force to be considered.
It isn't the first time Kuznetsov deployed to Syria, it is actually frequent visitor there.

It is clear the due to large Russian air force presence in Syria with its state of the art technologies, its purpose isn't to provide a naval based air force but rather show the flag...

However

There is a very good chance that Kuznetsov deployed first time with MiG-29K - but probably with only small numbers.

Now this is changes the picture, because:

1. MiG-29K is state of the art 4+ generation aircraft with all latest technologies in (Indians actually first bought it...)
2. It is very capable of air-to-ground/sea operations unlike Su-33
3. Syria in its current (sad) situation provides excellent testing ground for the new tech - similarly to the way Russians test all the rest of its systems there...

So IMHO, getting Kuznetsov to Syria even with few MiG-29Ks is very valuable for Russians beyond showing the flag, as probably it would be the first time STOBAR carrier would see the action and show its real abilities. It would allow to somewhat validate entire concept and check the latest procurement of Russian navy.

[1] http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/21/russian-carrier-plagued-by-technical-problems/
[2] http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37725327
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_aircraft_carrier_Admiral_Kuznetsov#History
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Re: Thoughts regarding "Admiral Kuznetsov" deployment to Syria...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 10:48:30 AM »
Honestly, and this is just me speaking as an individual here, no expertise on this particular subject (as I haven't been in to work since she headed there lol), but I think it's a win/win for both sides.

The Kuz is a joke. She's a jeep carrier in the world of big boats. (Yes, I know she's long, but her compliment is fairly small, and as a carrier, she's not ideal. She DOES have some shiney weapons systems, but if your carrier is fighting surface contacts, something is wrong...) That being said, she's most definitely testing their new aircraft assets. For them, yeah, they get to test their MiGs, but for us, we get to watch. We can sit back and evaluate the -29K from a safe distance and see just what they can do.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »
I don't know Serenity... They plan on having about 40 fixed wing and 20 rotary wing aircraft on the Kuznetsov when they get around to finding the cash for those 29Ks. That's not bad.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 11:06:21 AM »
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 11:12:06 AM »
If Russia and China want to be anything close to superpowers, they need to have experience using their weapon systems.  Russia doing this is very much in their self-interests.  China needs to stop dropping the ball whenever a UN military coalition is formed and actually join it next time, just to train their people and gain confidence in their gear.

Of course, as a US citizen, its generally in my interests if they don't have confidence in their own militaries.  But I don't expect potential rivals to continue to be irrational forever.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 11:34:30 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:D

Yeah, they really need to put a reactor in it. It's not like they don't have plenty of naval reactors available.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 11:38:33 AM »
I don't know Serenity... They plan on having about 40 fixed wing and 20 rotary wing aircraft on the Kuznetsov when they get around to finding the cash for those 29Ks. That's not bad.

Oh, it's a great start, and honestly for their needs it's more than sufficient, (and this is probably some REALLY heavy bias here) but she's no Nimitz :)

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 11:42:59 AM »
They also seems to lack the support ships needed for long oversea deployments, bringing it to Syria, were they have a port and airbases, is just a propaganda stunt, the Carrier will not add anything that couldn't have been done easier with land based planes.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 12:08:53 PM »
If Russia and China want to be anything close to superpowers, they need to have experience using their weapon systems.  Russia doing this is very much in their self-interests.  China needs to stop dropping the ball whenever a UN military coalition is formed and actually join it next time, just to train their people and gain confidence in their gear.

Of course, as a US citizen, its generally in my interests if they don't have confidence in their own militaries.  But I don't expect potential rivals to continue to be irrational forever.

Russia and China are the enemy then :old:

Better?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 01:22:38 PM by zack1234 »
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 12:13:18 PM »
How can the Russians and China be superpowers?

They are bank rolled by Wall Street :rofl

Or are they not? :old:

Why is Afghanistan, Africa, Iraq, Libya etc a mess we're Russia and China involved?

Syria is allied with the Commies so I get that one, Assad does not want religious nutters in charge, which I cannot see a problem with?

Any idea?

How in god's name have you not been banned yet?

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 12:17:24 PM »
Oh, it's a great start, and honestly for their needs it's more than sufficient, (and this is probably some REALLY heavy bias here) but she's no Nimitz :)

Sure, but that goes without saying. There are no non-US carriers that can match a USN supercarrier. However the Kuznetsov is a match for most if not all other carriers out there like the French Charles de Gaulle which also can take about 40 fixed wing aircraft. The Kuznetsov's greatest weakness IMHO is that it's conventionally powered.

To me at least the Russians seem to use the Kuznetsov just for training and gaining experience in carrier operations. The Russians are planning on starting a new carrier building program in the 2020s. Designated as Project 23000E Shtorm, they're planning on a 100,000-ton supercarrier class.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 12:21:59 PM »
We'll see, Russian economy isn't exactly great...

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 12:31:24 PM »
See Rule #2
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:57:19 PM by Skuzzy »
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 12:42:41 PM »
Sure, but that goes without saying. There are no non-US carriers that can match a USN supercarrier. However the Kuznetsov is a match for most if not all other carriers out there like the French Charles de Gaulle which also can take about 40 fixed wing aircraft. The Kuznetsov's greatest weakness IMHO is that it's conventionally powered.

To me at least the Russians seem to use the Kuznetsov just for training and gaining experience in carrier operations. The Russians are planning on starting a new carrier building program in the 2020s. Designated as Project 23000E Shtorm, they're planning on a 100,000-ton supercarrier class.

(Image removed from quote.)

I don't understand why they're still using skijumps rather than catapults...

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 12:56:14 PM »
That is their least problem, Russa of today isnt even close to capable of building a full size aircraft carrier...
Kuznetsov is planned to start a major overhaul in early -17 and will probably be out of action for 2 years.