Author Topic: The gumbo of stutters, pauses, freeze and other ingredients  (Read 31518 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: The gumbo of stutters, pauses, freeze and other ingredients
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2016, 08:02:21 AM »
Offline has never been a problem for me that I can recall. That's why I thought it had to be something to do with the servers.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2016, 11:10:47 AM »
   I started the game offline and I still get a freeze when keying mic. I can key the mic and it freezes for a second and key it the second time and it's OK. Wait a minute or so and it will freeze again. I think it is worse in DX11 than 9.

My question is weather my integrated sound is a problem and should I look into an add on sound card thinking that may solve the problem.
   Some history: I have had an issue with keying the mic since AH2. Back then I would key mic it would crash to desktop and I would restart game and never have an issue with vox for the rest of my log in. I had a different Video card then (GT635). I now have a GTX1070 and that ran great in beta.

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2016, 02:23:53 PM »
Slate, if you right-click the speaker icon at the lower right of your desktop, and then choose Recording Devices, how many enabled devices are listed there?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2016, 02:53:45 PM »
The DXDIAG only shows the RealTek, but the driver is really old.  I would make sure there is not a later driver available.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2016, 06:42:54 PM »
Okay, after pulling my hair out for the past few weeks, I've finally figured out what was causing my stutters/micro freezes.  It wasn't Windows, DX11, background processes, or driver issues...

It was..... <drumroll>

Checking 'disable players skins' in my AH3 Graphics Options!!!!

-and-

Disabling Skin Downloads in flight

If I had read the hints and tips at the top earlier, I could have avoided this issue.  This should be sticky in its own category for everyone to see.  I guarantee this will work for a huge chunk of the players experiencing micro-stutters.
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2016, 06:49:06 PM »
Man the stutters last night were terrible, never did get rid of them. Tried DX9 and DX11, no difference I could tell. It was happening in both gv's and planes.

Is it possible an overloaded USB Hub could be causing the stutters? :headscratch:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:00:26 PM by JimmyD3 »
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2016, 08:28:26 AM »
Man the stutters last night were terrible, never did get rid of them. Tried DX9 and DX11, no difference I could tell. It was happening in both gv's and planes.

Is it possible an overloaded USB Hub could be causing the stutters? :headscratch:

I was seeing a lot of stutters (not freezes) last night until I disabled Win updates.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2016, 09:16:34 AM »
Here is a film that shows some of the stutters.......

WHile I have the stutters while driving straight, they show up in the film when I turn.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2016, 11:03:45 AM »
The DXDIAG only shows the RealTek, but the driver is really old.  I would make sure there is not a later driver available.

Thanks Skuzzy,  :salute
          I downloaded new audio driver from Realtek site and I do believe it cured my Vox problem. Watching net status before there was a large spike when problem occurred. Just tested it and seems fine now. Will update if reoccurs.

Slate, if you right-click the speaker icon at the lower right of your desktop, and then choose Recording Devices, how many enabled devices are listed there?
There was always only 1. Thanks chalenge
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:05:46 AM by Slate »
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2016, 11:15:53 AM »
Yeah, onboard sound is likely to always be a problem even when it is a lone actor.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2016, 12:36:16 PM »
Update:

This is what I have done so far and all seems to have pretty much cleared the freezes\pauses for me at this time..................

1.) I switched browsers from IE to Mozilla Firefox then imported all my favorites over to FF then shut down IE. From doing this approx 6 days ago I haven't had a screen freeze\pause since. IMHO I think that this issue was 1 of the main contributors to my issues but time will tell....... So far, so good. What got me to go here was from watching my wife playing Pogo on her box.....finally paid attention that she's using FF to run Pogo on. Got my curiosity up so I ran a test on my box.......and the rest is history.
2.) I went into my new Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 D7000 modem\router and set my box to get the highest priority in QoS and left all else as normal. Yeah I've read the other threads discussing this and so on, but if QoS is all that is available to you you use what you got as using QoS is better than nothing at all. So far after setting all this up approx the same 6 days ago I have hardly seen any Internet-induced stuttering so until this proves otherwise this also appears to be handled. The true 1 Gigabit LAN speeds I'm getting now to my Bigfoot Killer NIC is also a factor as well as maxing out the transmit and receive buffers in the NIC to help smooth out packet flow.

Now what I'm about to post may be more cosmetic than anything else but I've also noticed when I'm running AHIII Dx11 version w\ my Crimson 16.11.2 driver set to "Enhance Application Settings" instead of "Use Application Settings" for AA then set the AA method to either "Adaptive Multisampling" or "Supersampling" the graphics look much, much better in every way. But the main thing that I've noticed w\ regards to the topic of this thread is that by using this combination this actually puts enough of an extra load on my GPU to get the GPU usage up to within the 70%-80% range where the game really does smooth out. This is also 1 of the items that--I'll say it again--I've noticed on my box running the AH Dx11 version since the Beta Patch 22 days forward across several Crimson driver versions.....on my box using the AH Dx11 version the GPU usage% load reduces a fairly large amount vs when running the AH Dx9 version using the exact same game\driver settings. Now this may not seem like much to some but the issue w\ this IMHO is centering around the AMD PowerTune 2.0 GPU control (same as GPU Boost 2.0 for Nvidia) reacting to this especially concerning the amount of power regulation supplied to the GPU due to the way PowerTune 2.0 works. For PowerTune 2.0 or Nvidia GPU Boost 2.0 to work efficiently the graphics rendering level settings as noted thru the DRIVERS, whether from the game itself or the drivers itself or any combination of the 2 are used to calculate the amount of power to apply to maintain the necessary GPU clock speed to render the work smoothly according to the actual GPU operational temps at hand....think "power per watt" here. From all my testing of these control programs (I've tested both of these extensively in times past and have the AMD engineering white papers on how PowerTune 2.0 actually works) the higher the graphics rendering level settings are PowerTune 2.0 will calculate to apply more power and allow the GPU to clock up and optimize GPU rendering performance as long as the GPU operating temps are\stay JUST below the BIOS-set GPU temp TDP threshold, but if the graphics rendering level settings are set too low, regardless of if\how far the GPU operating temps are below the TDP, both of these control programs WILL REDUCE the power output to the GPU due to the control calculating that according to the graphics rendering settings LEVELS the GPU shouldn't NEED above a certain amount of GPU power applied to do the work even though for a brief instance(s) due to various varibles the GPU may need to have more power applied to get thru it and thus may create a stutter but even potentially down to a GPU stall. Since AH Dx9 shows to put more of a graphics rendering load on my Fury X's GPU than AH Dx11 does (by approx 40%-50% more when viewed thru GPU usage % using the exact same in-game\driver graphics settings levels) that this has to be a contributor as well to the freezing\pausing going on mostly w\ AH III Dx11 version relative to the AH III Dx9 version......I believe is due to some coding difference(s) within the 2 versions of Dx that is causing the vast GPU usage % differences (GPU load vs power). This gets MUCH worse if Power Efficiency is enabled in the Crimson driver (when this is disabled it tells PowerTune 2.0 to allow the GPU clocks to go full instead of controlling them but I don't think this also disables the PowerTune 2.0 GPU power calcs....I think the same may prove out for Nvidia's GPU Boost 2.0 when you set the driver to prefer maximum performance vs adaptive but can't be for sure w\o actually testing it now vs when I did prove this some 1 1\2-2 yrs back when I ran a test between a GTX 780Ti vs a Radeon R9 290X on my prior X79 box). This could also very well be due to Dx11's Shader Model 5.x being more efficient vs Dx9's Shader Model 3.x performing the post-processing rendering work in AHIII which offloads the GPU much more (not to mention that these more modern graphics cards of either stripe are designed\tuned at the GPU\driver level to get more efficiency out of Dx11 than Dx9 since the vast majority of games out for some time have been written to use\optimize Dx11 and AH has now recently incorporated Dx11).

Could be as easy as doing some in-game post processing graphics rendering output level tuning (we don't have access to do this....only HTC does) to fix all this for the Dx11 version of the game...........which may call for the game to be physically separated into 2 fully separate AH III game versions..........

Just a thought......................

Anyway, hope this helps.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2016, 08:39:24 PM »
Posted this on another thread, but found my screen stutters, my Firewall was set on "Automatic" switched it to "Interactive" stutters stopped. I was getting stutters all the time, in gv's or planes. As of today everything is back to normal.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2016, 09:23:39 PM »
Posted this on another thread, but found my screen stutters, my Firewall was set on "Automatic" switched it to "Interactive" stutters stopped. I was getting stutters all the time, in gv's or planes. As of today everything is back to normal.

What operating system are you using?  I do not see an interactive setting.
I'm using Windows 10 64Bit.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2016, 09:28:10 PM »
I think that's pre-Windows 8.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2016, 09:47:32 PM »
I think that's pre-Windows 8.

Ahh,  thank you.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear