Author Topic: Variants of existing planes  (Read 5045 times)

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
Re: Variants of existing planes
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »
The Majority of Bf 109Es used the DB 601A, some used the 601Aa with a tad more power (likely refit for bomber versions like E-1/B, E-3/B and E-4/B).
The DB 601N was not a stadard equipment of the E-7 - they had 601A or Aa as standard. Production version with 601N were E-7/N although many were likely upgraded to 601N once reliability issues were solved and sufficient engines on hand.
The 601N offered the same take-off power as 601Aa but it had a higher critical/rated altitude of 4.9km vs 4.5km of 601A or 4km of 601Aa/early 601A.
I have seen claims the 109E used 601N-1 whereas 109F used an improved 601N-2 with some structural changes and a modified supercharger, both intended to fix reliability issues.

No Ju 88A-4 was available for the classic period of BoB - just A-1 and A-5. Most bomber units in BoB used He 111H/P or Do 17Z.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2016, 02:31:49 PM »
TBM-3R

Was used to ferry equipment, supplies, and/or up to 7 passengers from shore bases to aircraft carriers.  Maybe use it as an alternative to the LVT  to resupply fields from carriers, or to land troops.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 02:45:47 PM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2016, 02:53:28 PM »
30mm Mk 101 to the 110C and the 37mm to the 110G!

:salute

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2016, 03:27:56 PM »
Then SpitII would be needed also for contemporary scenario use.

Not really. Like I mentioned, the main areas where you would see the E-7 used in events would be North Africa and Russia - where the SpitII was not used.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2016, 04:07:43 PM »
- Yak-1, Yak-1b
- La-5, La-5F, LaGG-3
- 109F-2 (weaker engine)

Most important:

Yak-1, La-5F
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2016, 04:51:48 PM »
Not really. Like I mentioned, the main areas where you would see the E-7 used in events would be North Africa and Russia - where the SpitII was not used.

You can make an argument that the bf 109E-7 and Spitfire Mk IIa and IIb would have a place in a BoB scenario as all three types flew at the tail end of the BoB.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2016, 05:40:44 PM »
You can make an argument that the bf 109E-7 and Spitfire Mk IIa and IIb would have a place in a BoB scenario as all three types flew at the tail end of the BoB.

True, but my point is that having the E-7 makes most of it's impact on events in theaters where the SpitII is not used and the idea that it's inclusion should somehow be tied to having the SpitII as a counter is laughable. The benefits in having the E-7 merit it's inclusion by themselves.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2016, 07:35:49 PM »
The 109E variant which is really needed is the -7.

- DB601N engine (same as the 109F)
- ability to carry drop tanks
- Quintessential Emil of North Africa and Russia.

Of course, the 109E needs a general update as well. The external shape is more similar to AH1 standard than 2.

Same engine as the 109F2, not the same as the 109F4.

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2016, 08:33:45 PM »
An Allison powered Mustang variant or two would be nice:
A-36A
P-51A
Also the P-51B with the birdcage

F4F-3
F6F-3
SBD-2
TBF-1C

B-17F
B-24D

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2016, 06:27:43 AM »
Spitfire HF Mk. IX and maybe a Mk. VII

Yak-1 should also be considered. (im counting it as a variant of the Yak-7/9.)

Lancaster Mk I (special)

''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2016, 11:11:41 AM »
According to "the battle of Britain, an epic conflict revisited" (best book I've read about the subject),
109E7, 109F1, SpitII, where used in limited numbers in BOB, but had more usage later in the conflict.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2016, 11:52:08 AM »
Yak-1 should also be considered. (im counting it as a variant of the Yak-7/9.)

Although they look similar at a glance the Yak-1 is a completely different airframe to the Yak-7 or 9 and so would need a new 3D shape done for it. All four Yaks that we currently have are quite different to each other in shape, far more so than most other multiple variant aircraft we have in the game.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »
That is also true for a bunch of other planes, Spit I and Spit XIV has almost nothing in common but both are considered variants of the spitfire.

Same for B-17F vs G and so on.

So pretty much all new variants wished for in this thread would require some remake of the existing airframe.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2016, 01:26:18 PM »
I researched and made the default skins for all the Spits and Yaks and I can tell you from experience the Spits are much closer to each other 3D shape-wise than the Yaks. The Spits are all variations of the same basic airframe. The fuselage aft of the firewall, gear, wing and tail are essentially the same, but with different engines, wingtips, props, rudders and guns etc. They all use the same cockpit art.

The Yaks are based on two different airframe series. The Yak-1 was a small lightweight fighter and has more in common with the later Yak-3 than the 7 or 9 series but still less than any two Spits. The Yak-7 was a larger airframe developed from a two-seat trainer and designed to carry a heavier armament. The Yak-9 series was developed from the 7 but the Yak-9T we have has the cut down cockpit moved aft on the fuselage and a different wing shape while the Yak-9U has the wing mounted further forward on the fuselage to balance the heavier longer engine.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2016, 02:19:14 PM »
And...?
I dont disagree with you, im just saying that almost all wishes for new variants of existing planes will require a remake of an existing model - more or less. B-17F would need the removal of the chin turret on the -17G, a teardrop canopy on the spit would require a redesign of the aft fuselage and so on...

This thread is about wishing for new versions of the planes that we have in the game and that is what i did...