Author Topic: What should I upgrade next?  (Read 4783 times)

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
What should I upgrade next?
« on: November 11, 2016, 09:20:42 AM »
Well guys I've gotten back into the game and my computer is obviously a little out dated. It runs the game fine but not close to max graphics. Here are the specs.

Motherboard: GA-770T-Usb3
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 660
Processor: AMD Phenom 425x4 945 2.8~GHZ
Ram:4 sticks 8Gb I believe
PSU:700 or 800 I forget it's one of the two. I'm doing this on my phone so forgive me.

So yeah if there's anything else you guys let me know and I'll add it. For what it's worth the game runs fine but I've noticed my mother board doesn't really support any new processors. So that may be an issue.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: What should I upgrade next?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 09:56:43 AM »
By fine does it mean you are happy with it? If so keep it using it till it breaks down.

If you aren't happy, what is your budget?

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 10:20:40 AM »
By fine does it mean you are happy with it? If so keep it using it till it breaks down.

If you aren't happy, what is your budget?

Semp

Just give me some options. I'm not looking for a huge upgrade or top of the line stuff haha.

The Few

-Spek

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 11:19:51 AM »
If you really want to upgrade, get a better video card. Since the GTX 660 has dual six pin power slots, your power supply should be able to feed at least a GTX 1060 or an even better one.

Then, if the rest of your system starts to bottleneck the new video card, build a new computer around the video card.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 11:21:09 AM »
If you really want to upgrade, get a better video card. Since the GTX 660 has dual six pin power slots, your power supply should be able to feed at least a GTX 1060 or an even better one.

Then, if the rest of your system starts to bottleneck the new video card, build a new computer around the video card.
So your saying leave the 660 in and run 2 cards?

The Few

-Spek

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 11:29:49 AM »
No, replace it with the 1060, or 1070. You could probably sell the 660 used.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 11:33:34 AM »
Are the 1060 1070 top of the line right now?

Edit: 1070 is little too much haha
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 11:37:52 AM by ACE »

The Few

-Spek

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 11:40:04 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JNUO6BG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1478885886&sr=8-3&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=gtx+1060&dpPl=1&dpID=51wcPo7WeEL&ref=plSrch

I could get this card. You guys approve of its specs? Instead of buying it pre overclocked I could do it myself no?

The Few

-Spek

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 12:01:03 PM »
A factory overclocked card has been tested to handle the OC. So even with standard clocks such a card should be a little stronger in terms of longevity.

A slight factory overclocking doesn't give you a huge performance boost vs. a standard card. Rather than getting an "OC beast" of a lesser known brand, get something that has a known level of quality. The Gigabyte you linked to is a reputable manufacturer so you should get a silent and cool, yet competitive card. It's arguable whether the 6 GB model is worth the extra $50 against the 3 GB one, but for what I've read the smaller one has some other limitations, too. Personally, I'd like to get one but my current budget doesn't allow for it. People have got very good results with a GTX 1060 on older systems.

As for overclocking in general, my opinion is that it's good for prolonging the life span of older hardware at the point when breaking it won't be a big issue, used spare parts being very cheap. New gear should always be the best you can afford at stock clocks.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 12:17:26 PM »
Ok. I'll have me one of these ordered soon. Do I need to delete all my drivers once I get it. Or is there a program I can use to do it for me?

The Few

-Spek

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 12:33:07 PM »
You guys think my processor is good enough?  To get anything better I'm pretty sure I'd have to replace the Morher board.

The Few

-Spek

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 12:59:42 PM »
Use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), available from the author here: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=673. Run it in Safe Mode.

Your processor looks quite good. However, if you want a better one, this list shows much faster ones that you could get on that motherboard: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte/GA-770T-USB3%28rev._1.0%29.html Look for the highest single core speeds, also more than four cores is most likely unnecessary. Even two will do just fine for AH.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:03:13 PM by Bizman »

Kotisivuni

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 01:01:38 PM »
Use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), available from the author here: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=673. Run it in Safe Mode.

Your processor looks quite good. However, if you want a better one, this list shows much faster ones that you could get on that motherboard: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte/GA-770T-USB3%28rev._1.0%29.html

So do I need to run that before or after I install the new card.

The Few

-Spek

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 01:05:59 PM »
After you've installed the new card, before installing the drivers for it.

Kotisivuni

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 01:08:48 PM »
As for the processors, look for second hand Phenom II 960 and up to 980. 3.4 to 3.7 GHz, they shouldn't hiccup with the new card. However, don't hurry, your current CPU might do just fine.

Kotisivuni