Author Topic: Screen Freeze Observations  (Read 1254 times)

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
Re: Screen Freeze Observations
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 07:33:45 PM »
FYI yesterday I was demo'ing the game to a friend in the Axix/Allied arena and got a 1 second screen freeze when I fired the guns on the Zero I was flying.  When in the MA I am getting freezes on a regular basis.  I'm switching to a GTX 1080 card this weekend and hopefully that will help.
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 12:08:44 PM »
I had three screen freezes last night two in GVs and one in airplanes.

I went through a series of test raising and lowering the video settings on the clipboard.  I had normally just used the "Default" clipboard graphic settings.

Twice when I turned off "ground clutter" I got an immediate screen freeze that required PC power down.  Turning it on had no effect.

I slid all the clip board graphic sliders to the right.  I held 59FPS except in a tank gun-sight where I experienced stuttering while turning the turret.

Although not conclusive, the harder the graphic card has to work the less likely a screen freeze.

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 01:22:07 PM »
Would be interested to see your results Relic.

Running a 980TI card here, and still get the pauses..1080 being the flagship of Nvidia, would like to see if that is making the difference.
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 07:49:22 PM »

Running a 980TI card here, and still get the pauses..1080 being the flagship of Nvidia, would like to see if that is making the difference.

I will post back my results.  In my experience it seems like the stutters are sound related so not sure if the card will help.  It will get me new HDMI drivers so that might do the trick - plus I got a pretty good deal on the card so why not give it a shot.
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
Randy1, have you got a current DXdiag posted somewhere?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 09:48:46 AM »
I tweaked and tested every possible setting for AH3 graphics detail and Nvidia Control Panel, and none of them affected the "petit freeze" or "pause and play" events. I'm working on a new sound at the moment, or I would disable all of my audio devices (except the ZXR) and test it that way.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2016, 06:39:22 PM »
I had three screen freezes last night two in GVs and one in airplanes.

I went through a series of test raising and lowering the video settings on the clipboard.  I had normally just used the "Default" clipboard graphic settings.

Twice when I turned off "ground clutter" I got an immediate screen freeze that required PC power down.  Turning it on had no effect.

I slid all the clip board graphic sliders to the right.  I held 59FPS except in a tank gun-sight where I experienced stuttering while turning the turret.

Although not conclusive, the harder the graphic card has to work the less likely a screen freeze.

Hi Randy1,

Just to piggyback on your observation, I also did some testing on my end.

Since I've set up my Crimson driver to use "Enhance Application AA" then set the driver method to use Supersampling (the best looking but most GPU intensive method of applying GPU side AA....used to enhance the in-game post processed FXAA...issue w\ this is which is actually being applied 1st.....) I then had a thought and reenabled the AMD Power Efficiency setting as I know this will cause my GPU to downclock but thinking since the GPU will be applying SSAA this will cause the GPU to work more thus I should see the GPU usage% line go up in MSI AB graphs. This will represent that the GPU will not as idle so thus hopefully will lessen\stop the screen freezes........hoping so anyway.

Here is a graph of my FuryX running AH III 3.0 Patch 10 Dx11 last night in this driver configuration attached below:

All pretty much came out as I was hoping it would and so far I haven't witnessed but 1 screen freeze since this was done and it was a very short 1 at that w\o any lock up, white screen....nothing. The game ran very smooth (I'm also using AMD FRTC set @ 85 FPS in addition to AMD FreeSynch......also found out that I was holding FreeSynch back too much when I had the FRTC set @ 80 FPS) so I'm gonna leave it as set for now then I'm gonna up the TF setting to High to put more work on the GPU to see how all goes from there.

What you've posted is what I've thought as well......the Dx9 version seems to prove this to me as it really loads my GPU up and so to date I've never witnessed a screen freeze on my box running any patch version of AH III under Dx9.

:salute

PS--I also remembered that I had the wife's all-in-one copier\fax\scanner\printer plugged into the ADSL line w\o a filter on it so I installed 1 on it when I got home from work today. Gonna remedy this for good this weekend as I have another phone jack in the den that is wired ahead into the Qwest installed line box ADSL filter (so 1 filter is all that is needed) so I'm gonna reroute the phone cord from her all-in-one to this jack which will then dedicate the ADSL line to the Nighthawk modem\router exclusively....already have the phone cord in place, just need to hook all up.

Then after this is done I will have taken pretty much everything into account and have got all as clean as can be done.

:D

:salute
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 06:55:29 PM by Pudgie »
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 05:50:44 AM »
I have went two days without a screen freeze using DX11 with fairly high graphic slider settings.  I have made no changes other than the sliders. 

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 12:46:37 AM »

No improvement.  Still freezes with the new card.
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2016, 05:46:24 AM »
I have only two freezes in the last five days after having as many as four freezes per day for weeks.  The only change was pushing the video card as hard as i could and still maintain a good frame rate by sliding the graphic clipboard sliders to the right.

I tested the other end of the setting sliding all sliders to the left and that seemed to make it worse.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2016, 05:23:16 PM »
switching to the DX9 exe stopped my hard freezes - haven't had one since

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals