Author Topic: When do troops die? Other than being shot.  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
When do troops die? Other than being shot.
« on: November 21, 2016, 02:57:05 PM »
I thought I had this straight but he number of different answers on this one has me confused again.

1.  If you had say five troops enter the map room safely and lets say the other five where shot.  If you re-up before the base is captured to run another set of troops, will re-uping kill the first five troops that made it safely into the map room?

2.  Lets say you let all ten troops go on a long run to the map room then your trusty M3 is killed.  Will the troops die if they have not made it to the map room and you re-up?

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: When do troops die? Other than being shot.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 05:19:16 PM »
Here's my understanding of how it works and a way of thinking of it that might help:

Think of the map-room as an object that needs to be "destroyed" to capture the base.  Each uninjured troop that gets in to the maproom, when it is white flagged, does 1/10th of the necessary damage, so it takes 10 troops to "destroy" (capture) the map-room.

1.  If you had say five troops enter the map room safely and lets say the other five where shot.  If you re-up before the base is captured to run another set of troops, will re-uping kill the first five troops that made it safely into the map room?

No, re-upping does NOT change the fact that 5 troops already made it to the map-room and "damaged" the map-room 50%.  It will stay 50% damaged (only require 5 more troops to capture) as long as it stays white-flagged.  The only way that "damage" from your first five troops goes away is if the map-room goes back to a red flag.  When the map-room goes from white flagged to red flagged, you can think of it as back to 100% undamaged.

2.  Lets say you let all ten troops go on a long run to the map room then your trusty M3 is killed.  Will the troops die if they have not made it to the map room and you re-up?

Your troops will continue to run even after you die (or exit), the same way bombs continue to fall or torpedoes continue to run after you are killed or captured -- so long as you DON'T re-up before they reach their target.  If you re-launch, anything you released last sortie (troops, bombs or torpedoes) will go away.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:59:16 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 08:38:36 PM »
A minor correction Kingpin, Auto Ack popping will also reset the damage to the map room. :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 10:24:16 PM »
I've got a related question. If you drop a bomb on a hanger how long does the damage last. In other words if I drop a 1k bomb on a hanger can I crash/land/die/ditch and still come back with a couple more bombs that along with the first bomb add up to enough weight to kill the hanger. If so how long between the first bomb and the others?
Pies not kicks.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 11:42:21 PM »
A minor correction Kingpin, Auto Ack popping will also reset the damage to the map room. :rock

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention the ack situation.  Thanks!   :aok
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 03:10:38 AM »
I've got a related question. If you drop a bomb on a hanger how long does the damage last.

Damage to undestroyed objects lasts for half unmodified basic downtime.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 06:09:31 AM »
Kingpin that is great way to remember the troop issue.  Thanks so much for your reply.  When others ask in the game now I will use your anecdote to explain the troop-map room relation.

Thanks too Jimmy for the added information.

Pembquist that was another good question and good answer by Lusche.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 04:01:00 PM »

Damage to undestroyed objects lasts for half unmodified basic downtime.

We need to get your brain downloaded. Is this written somewhere? I find it very hard to find information off the website.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 06:01:58 PM »
We need to get your brain downloaded. Is this written somewhere?

It's buried somewhere deep down in the dungeons of this BBS, where I asked HT about it  :old:

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 09:52:20 PM »
I remember under AH 2, that "damage" done to a map room  by troops lasted for 15 minutes.

Has this changed in Aces Haigh three?
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 02:08:30 AM »
I remember under AH 2, that "damage" done to a map room  by troops lasted for 15 minutes.

Has this changed in Aces Haigh three?

Should be the same, as the maproom still has a 'downtime' of 30 minutes.

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 01:35:13 PM »
I wonder:

If a few troops made it to the map room, effectively "damaging it," and the town gets resupplied but stays WF, would the map room still reset, even though it didnt go into Red Flag?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:42:58 PM by Owlblink »
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 01:49:53 PM »
I wonder:

If a few troops made it to the map room, effectively "damaging it," and the town gets resupplied but stays WF, would the map room still reset, even though it didn't go into Red Flag?

No.  Nothing changes at the MR until either the flag color changes or a gun pops.  Only one of those two things will change the number of troops required (assuming a few got in earlier). 

Once the flag changes or a gun pops, you have to get 10 in again. 
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 02:25:55 PM »
oy, it was nice and clear with the troops (or more precisely the damage they cause) persisting for 1/2 unmodified down time but if your saying that its flag color or gun status dependent once the troops are already in then its murky again. It feels increasingly academic however as the real question imo is can you reup without killing your troops. The answer being yes if they have gone in the map room and no if they are still running.
Pies not kicks.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 05:22:03 PM »
I seem to remember that  you had 10 minutes to finish getting the additional troops in before the troop requirement was reset. :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76