Author Topic: Chernobyl got a new cover.  (Read 3914 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Chernobyl got a new cover.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 06:22:30 AM »
Hardly.. You represent here the basic problem that promotes fear with nuclear generation.. No knowledge mixed with wild accusations..

Please attempt to educate yourself on the matter rather than believe assumptions from some plant worker that probably has no idea how the system operates..

Oh I think I know a thing or two.  I retired from the nuclear plant .  I was in on the licensing, design, construction and operation.  Went through many refueling outages.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 06:36:25 AM by Randy1 »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 09:59:26 AM »
Did you make lots of money?

Enriched uranium what's that for ?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 10:18:27 AM »
Oh I think I know a thing or two.  I retired from the nuclear plant .  I was in on the licensing, design, construction and operation.  Went through many refueling outages.

Randy is actually Jack Lemmon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFMsnicAtiY
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 11:15:26 AM »
Except he didnt get shot and die at the end
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 03:14:08 PM »
That's a pretty neat setup!
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 03:51:28 PM »
Something like Chernobyl could not happen in the west. The accident was no accident, but the inevitable result of a corrupt and inept political system. Everything about the reactor plant was characterized by ineptitude at every level, from design and construction to operation and leadership. Moscow didn't even know about the magnitude of the disaster until Sweden informed them of it. That's how clueless these people were, and how inept their system of government was.

Came very close at Three Mile Island.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mile_Island_accident

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 05:22:49 PM »
Windscale was the same in the U.K. It was bad as the commie meltdown.

This is why cancer is prevelant, the elephant in the room.

They use metal from Scapa Flow to use in devices that need non radiated metal, it has been underwater since 1919, anything after 1945 is irradiated.

The GFC

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 10:05:30 PM »

Really? If you were in on any type of design process, you are very old, perhaps you can explain the fundamental difference between Russia's design and ours.. What caused their explosion and how that would not happen here?

Licensing? Operator Licensing? Where you licensed anywhere? Or do you mean facility licensing?

Operation? Operation of what?

I don't think most people understand the amount of safety systems built into these plants. Other than some type of cataclysmic event, the odds of something causing a significant event , fuel failure, are very small. Even way more so now after Fukushima. That event changed the entire industry. Plants, even with their age, are more safe now than when first built.

I know how much I get paid and it would be close to the rest that do my job. I don't buy the "plant employees moral at an all time low" bit.. Of course not everyone can be happy all the time.. But even if it where true, no one person or few persons could cause what happened at Chernobyl.

So, until you can qualify "I was in on the licensing, design, construction and operation", which in itself is pretty odd that one person would be involved with all that (its typically hard for an engineer to be on the operations side of the house), I still think you need better education on nuclear generation.. 
- TWBYDHAS

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 01:59:58 AM »
Your right he is wrong

Well done

Hope your pleased with yourself

The GFC

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 04:18:42 AM »
Windscale was the same in the U.K. It was bad as the commie meltdown.

This is why cancer is prevelant, the elephant in the room.

They use metal from Scapa Flow to use in devices that need non radiated metal, it has been underwater since 1919, anything after 1945 is irradiated.
Yeah but the metal wasn't irradiated by power plants it was irradiated by the 2,000 nuclear weapon detonations around the globe over the past century.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 06:25:26 AM »

So, until you can qualify "I was in on the licensing, design, construction and operation", which in itself is pretty odd that one person would be involved with all that (its typically hard for an engineer to be on the operations side of the house), I still think you need better education on nuclear generation..
Started as a nuclear plant design engineer.  Went to the plant as a system startup engineer.  Returned to design to help facility licensing answer question from the NRC to license the second unit.  Back on the next unit on the startup team.  Back to design as Project engineer.  Next System completion manager in construction at the next plant.  Then back as an engineering manger. Then there are things like ASME committees. 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:51:53 AM by Randy1 »

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 08:55:28 AM »
A convective loop that can deal with a fresh scrammed reactor would minimize the risk more than anything else.

Fukushima would not have suffered the core damage with such a system but Chernobyl was a bunch of mistakes in operation combined with a design flaw.

Nothing has come close to the smoking hole made in chernobyl no matter how the wusses spin it.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 11:45:02 AM »
How come other country's taxpayers had to pay for Russia's screw up?

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 01:00:39 PM »
Started as a nuclear plant design engineer.  Went to the plant as a system startup engineer.  Returned to design to help facility licensing answer question from the NRC to license the second unit.  Back on the next unit on the startup team.  Back to design as Project engineer.  Next System completion manager in construction at the next plant.  Then back as an engineering manger. Then there are things like ASME committees.

Nice resume! I'm certain you are aware of all the checks and balances you had to go through in order to do your job. All these jobs and many more like it pave the road to the end process which is Operations.. And the process does not change at the Operations level. Thousands of people all in concert for a final product. You being involved with Facility licensing I'm sure you're aware a station's tech specs rule the plant and not the "stock price".. I don't understand now how you made your original comment.. I fail to be able to connect the two.
- TWBYDHAS

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »
A convective loop that can deal with a fresh scrammed reactor would minimize the risk more than anything else.

Fukushima would not have suffered the core damage with such a system but Chernobyl was a bunch of mistakes in operation combined with a design flaw.

Nothing has come close to the smoking hole made in chernobyl no matter how the wusses spin it.

Possibly, but in the end you still need something to remove decay heat. Fukushima's worst hit was water in their fuel oil for their diesel generators.

Some of the changes the industry has seen since are kinda awesome.. They built a building at my plant that is literally bomb proof.. haha  Its like ~200'W x 200'L x 60' H with like 22"-24" concrete walls.. Inside is housed many 4kv generators and diesel powered water pumps among other things for immediate response. Throughout the country are caches of similar equipment that can be anywhere in the country ready to go in 3days.. All mobilization equipment is always ready.. Kinda amazing.

Chernobyl could not happen here because the core designs are totally different. Our design needs water for positive reactivity their design needs water for negative reactivity.. One design is inherently safe, one is not. 
- TWBYDHAS