Author Topic: New RPM model.  (Read 4431 times)

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
New RPM model.
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:31:13 PM »
How does the new RPM model work?

How is it compared to the old model?

What performance issues have changed?

Is it the prop that has to catch back up? I noticed it seems to slow down if you zoom up and takes a bit to catch up as ya go back down.

Tally Ho!  :cheers:
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: New RPM model.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 08:15:04 PM »

Yes.

Maybe.

Blue.

Is it the prop that has to catch back up? I noticed it seems to slow down if you zoom up and takes a bit to catch up as ya go back down.

Left.

You're welcome.  :salute
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 06:33:42 AM »

Hitech says it's basically a sound change. The prop RPM is affected by air pressure now and there is some lag when the governor changes the blade pitch but there is no significant performance difference.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
I've noticed something since coming back to the game. Lots of people cutting their engines off in 1v1s and what not. Only after AH3. Any reasoning on that one?
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 10:43:57 AM »
I've noticed something since coming back to the game. Lots of people cutting their engines off in 1v1s and what not. Only after AH3. Any reasoning on that one?

Because pilots did that in WW2 to get an advantage in dogfights?

:huh
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 10:46:34 AM »
Because pilots did that in WW2 to get an advantage in dogfights?

:huh

I didn't know that?

The Few

-Spek

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 10:55:58 AM »
He is kidding

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 11:03:30 AM »
He is kidding

Missed the part about the sarcasm in the Help and training forum.

The Few

-Spek

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 11:05:22 AM »
 :rofl
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 01:46:03 PM »

You might reduce throttle to reduce torque when you are slow enough to lose yaw stability but I don't see an advantage to toggling the engine on/off. You can compare both methods to see if you notice a difference.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 02:02:58 PM »
You might reduce throttle to reduce torque when you are slow enough to lose yaw stability but I don't see an advantage to toggling the engine on/off. You can compare both methods to see if you notice a difference.

There's an advantage.  Cutting the throttle all the way still has some torque effects, but it appears turning off the engine completely removes it.

Also, cutting the throttle to 0 does not have the same speed reduction as turning off the engines.  I've tested this when landing.

To refer to Spek's post above, in one fight last night, one person shut off his engine 3 times in a Spit 16 dogfight.  First in a 550+ mph dive, then twice more in close quarters.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »
There's an advantage.  Cutting the throttle all the way still has some torque effects, but it appears turning off the engine completely removes it.

Also, cutting the throttle to 0 does not have the same speed reduction as turning off the engines.  I've tested this when landing.

To refer to Spek's post above, in one fight last night, one person shut off his engine 3 times in a Spit 16 dogfight.  First in a 550+ mph dive, then twice more in close quarters.

I noticed the same thing mir. And it was last night Imagine that.

The Few

-Spek

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 02:15:01 PM »
And it was a Spit16 too...

I'll wager it was the same person....
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 02:36:38 PM »

I still don't see a practical advantage to turning it off. Have you compared moving the throttle from min to max vs restarting the engine? Isn't there a noticeable lag before you get thrust when restarting the engine?  I realize that wouldn't always be a disadvantage but it general it seems to outweigh a small difference in drag and torque.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 03:05:37 PM »
I still don't see a practical advantage to turning it off. Have you compared moving the throttle from min to max vs restarting the engine? Isn't there a noticeable lag before you get thrust when restarting the engine?  I realize that wouldn't always be a disadvantage but it general it seems to outweigh a small difference in drag and torque.

I don't know.  I can't understand the practicality of it either, but it is done, and at least one person toggles it in a way that they found advantageous.

There's a definite lag now, like you mention, at least a couple of seconds.

I've also experienced the engine being turned off when the person is going near vertical, when airspeed is nearly gone.  It seems to drastically reduce any effects of torque there as well.

On a side note, my film shows the Spit 16 doing 550+ (maybe 560ish) after dropping from 20k to 8k, slightly turning to get a shot on me, and all parts remained on it.  I want that.   :D

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."