Author Topic: Ty to Brooke and company for the Pearl Harbor Memorial Event!  (Read 1452 times)

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Ty to Brooke and company for the Pearl Harbor Memorial Event!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 08:57:23 AM »
That is just confusing. There is nothing to render over water so your frame rate should be good over that and is usually bad over land since you are rendering trees and clutter depending on your visual settings. All the water depth is set to -100 ft.

Ford island had no objects on it and I wasn't able to put any ships in Pearl Harbor since we no longer have static ships we can place right now. The only difference that Ford island had was that it was painted with the rock terrain instead of normal grass, farm, tree that the rest of the island island.

Now around Ford Island you do have a port, ammo factory, large airfield, town, and 2x2 refinery with an 8x4 mile area. So was it tanking by Hickam (A4) or more mid island by Wheeler (A19) which used the new 4x4 mile layout?

X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 09:01:26 AM »
I rebuilt the terrain this morning do to issues with A2 field flickering for some users. Did you have any issues with first coming into the arena and going to A2 at the edge of the map?
CM Terrain Team

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 09:16:44 AM »
Hmmm, in regards to water been using Artik's program to create the base land. It seems to set water depth at -100 ft while AH Editor default is -200 ft. It should make a difference but I wonder.
CM Terrain Team

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 09:44:13 AM »
My FR was worse around mid island than down by Pearl...the fight I had around Pearl was on the deck...all was smooth until I would look back towards the north then the slideshow would start...if I looked back towards the south it was fine...

The water thing had me wondering too...I never have had any issue with the water causing low FR...as long as I didn't look at the water all was fine...I ran NOE on my second run from the boat and it was a slideshow...until I got high enough that the water wasn't in my FOV...

I have my terrain detail to nil, and my distance set a 3mi...

Out of the 2048 mb of vid memory I was only using 280 something...I think this is some sort of bug with the vid memory but after overclocking my card it still didn't help on the Pearl map...but my MA FR are the highest they have been using only like 400mb or so..

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 09:51:11 AM »
I am looking into things. The rebuild I did this morning to help stabilize A2 maybe helps. I take it you were flying Japanese (Knights). So it is possible that a reported issue of "flickering" with people going to A2 before they went to the CVs might have introduced some sort of video issue.

The other issue I am looking at is that the water for Pearl was set to -100. Default in the editor seems to be -200 for a brand new blank map. What AH3 Special events terrains have your flown on besides Pearl? And in any of them did you fly over water?

As for looking toward the center of the island the only think I can think is I used the 4 mile by 4 mile large air field instead of the standard 1 mile by 1 mile. I didn't think this would be an issue since I have seen that air field type used in other MA terrains (although I don't think on Ndisles). I will swap it out with a standard large base instead and see if that helps.
CM Terrain Team

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 10:10:42 AM »
I can't answer what all SEA maps I have flown on...every FSO map that we have used since AH3 came online...and this is the first time with water causing me any type of issue.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 10:39:07 AM »
In the 3pm running, I did hear a couple of reports of some heavy flickering in the Knights default airfield which seemed to cause their game to crash.  Will report back in the CM team for our terrain guys to take a look.

Hi Flossy,

I tried to join the 10PM EST version, was also noticing heavy flickering outside the tower prior to my system crashing.  Sounds like a similar issue.  Didn't get far enough to notice what side I was on or which airfield I was in.

:salute

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 11:02:37 AM »
DaddyAce was the tower you were in for an airfield or a port?
CM Terrain Team

Offline zaza

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 11:07:31 AM »
I don't do to many events ...don't ask why but this was indeed a lot of fun !  Thanks Brooke! <S>
ZaZa

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 11:32:54 AM »
DaddyAce was the tower you were in for an airfield or a port?

Sorry Ghostdancer, but the first thing I was focusing on yesterday PM when I went into the arena was reading the opening message, and my system would crash before I'd get through that.  I just logged into SEA2 to see if I could get better info to answer your question, but it looks like there is a new Pearl map now.  In case this gives you a helpful clue, just now it put me into A2 as a Rook.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »
I don't do to many events ...don't ask why but this was indeed a lot of fun !  Thanks Brooke! <S>

Sheesh ZaZa, welcome to the boards, good first post !

ZaZa is my friend :)
Wag more, bark less.

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2016, 12:46:29 PM »
DaddyAce that does help or give a clue. I moved the A2 and A3 bases (Knight and Rook starting airfields) farther away from the edge of the 512 map. So looks like that help stabilized things being farther away from the edge. Hopefully that also might help with the frame rate issues since maybe it caused the video cards to be unstable or have hiccups to for people starting as a Rook or Knight. Looks like the ones who started as a Bishop (A1) didn't have an issue.

So thanks for the feedback.

I now have to go check the other SEA maps to make sure bases are not to close to the edge of a 512x512 map.
CM Terrain Team

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2016, 01:12:07 PM »
Had a grand time, so thanks, Brooke and company. No game issues for me, thankfully.  :salute to the loyal opposition.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2016, 07:10:31 PM »
DaddyAce that does help or give a clue. I moved the A2 and A3 bases (Knight and Rook starting airfields) farther away from the edge of the 512 map. So looks like that help stabilized things being farther away from the edge. Hopefully that also might help with the frame rate issues since maybe it caused the video cards to be unstable or have hiccups to for people starting as a Rook or Knight. Looks like the ones who started as a Bishop (A1) didn't have an issue.

So thanks for the feedback.

You're quite welcome sir, and am glad I could help in some small way.  I appreciate the work you and the other CM staff put into these things for the community.

:salute

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2016, 08:13:14 PM »
Sabre,

Appreciate the winging yesterday:) Seems we could get Brooke in to Tgt...just couldn't get him out...lord knows I tried:)
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution