Author Topic: Sound Direction  (Read 690 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Sound Direction
« on: December 10, 2016, 01:47:25 AM »
I can not for the life of me discern where a wirbl, osti or an m3 .50cal, gunfire is coming from based on sound. It all sounds the same no matter where i change my view to. Cannon fire like from an M4 or Panzer, no problem. Aircraft engine sounds no problem, even the engine sounds of gv's no problem, just the gunfire from those 3. :bhead
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Sound Direction
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 03:05:34 AM »
I would like to know if you think it is your audio that is the problem, or are you hearing ground/object attenuated reverberation?  :D
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 11:20:38 AM »
Same thing on my system: mg sound has no directional info at all.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 08:20:43 PM »
It seems more like the sound pans a lot more severely.

In that I mean a vehicle passing across from left to right sounds very far left almost until it is right in front of you and then quickly pans to the right as it crosses in front of you.

There is very little change until the flip flop as it passes right in front.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 09:38:31 PM »
I would like to know if you think it is your audio that is the problem, or are you hearing ground/object attenuated reverberation?  :D

:lol no I don't think it is my audio. Any cannon fire from tank or an 88, I can locate the sounds source direction. I can not however locate the sounds source direction from a wirbl or an osti. Oddly enough the track or engine sound source direction of a wirbl or osti CAN be located.

Now that I think about it I don't think I can locate the sounds source direction from the 37mm man gun either. Will have to check on that.

BTW I'm not sure what "ground/object attenuated reverberation" is . :cheers:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 10:05:46 PM »
Engines and track sounds follow the vehicle. Gun shots (all of them) occur above the speed of sound, so the report is behind the shells. So a cannon shot from a tank you may hear the explosion and only then hear the report of the shot. In a canyon, within hills, and even among buildings the sound of the shot will bounce around and confuse locations. From what I have witnessed online it seems that this type of "echo" (ground/object attenuated reverberation) is in the game.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 12:33:02 AM »
Engines and track sounds follow the vehicle. Gun shots (all of them) occur above the speed of sound, so the report is behind the shells. So a cannon shot from a tank you may hear the explosion and only then hear the report of the shot. In a canyon, within hills, and even among buildings the sound of the shot will bounce around and confuse locations. From what I have witnessed online it seems that this type of "echo" (ground/object attenuated reverberation) is in the game.
I've heard a lot of different calibre gunfire in my life...at me, near me, away from me, perpendicular to me....it's not difficult to hear where it is coming from....unless it is very far away but even in that case you have immediate general direction of where the sound came from.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 04:02:46 AM »
Except in Aces High you can hear things up to 3.2k away and it is easy to think that the gunfire is nearer than it is. Even a "close" shot is generally more than 1k away. Until someone demonstrates what they mean by this topic, by sharing a film or something, all we have is anecdotal accounts.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 04:19:38 AM »
Good point, Chalenge.

As a real life example, think about thunder and lightning. If you can count three seconds after seeing the lightning until you can hear the thunder, you can count the storm being 1 k (kilometres or kiloyards) away and say that it's close. Counting ten seconds would be 3.2 k away. Honestly, I can't tell the direction of the thunder without looking out of the window.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 10:13:57 AM »
Except in Aces High you can hear things up to 3.2k away and it is easy to think that the gunfire is nearer than it is. Even a "close" shot is generally more than 1k away. Until someone demonstrates what they mean by this topic, by sharing a film or something, all we have is anecdotal accounts.
my example for this problem on my end is puffy ack or 88 fire...I see the puff near my plane and the delay in sound is way too long. I thought it was my system but this thread has got me thinking the delay in sound might be game wide.

The delay in the sound makes it hard tracking where it it is...IRL the delay isn't as much.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 02:57:20 PM »
Do this test, take a gv out on a base, have a friend up a wirbl or osti at that same base. Close your eyes and have them drive in a circle around you firing and see if you can tell where the wirbl or osti is located. I can not locate them that way, I can find them visually but not by sound. Chalenge, I don't mean to dis-agree with your definition ( explanation), but I would assume any 20mm or 37mm cannon fire in an open field should be able to be pinpointed by sound, or certainly get close. :old:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 03:29:59 PM »
Do this test, take a gv out on a base, have a friend up a wirbl or osti at that same base. Close your eyes and have them drive in a circle around you firing and see if you can tell where the wirbl or osti is located. I can not locate them that way, I can find them visually but not by sound. Chalenge, I don't mean to dis-agree with your definition ( explanation), but I would assume any 20mm or 37mm cannon fire in an open field should be able to be pinpointed by sound, or certainly get close. :old:
I've heard 30mm fired within mountainous terrain...you can tell where it was fired from...there's a delay but the direction isn't off when you talk about distance.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 01:07:50 AM »

If I am at the same elevation the terrain and objects seem to obscure stereo-location. If I am above the vehicle in elevation I have no issues locating them precisely.

@JunkyII: Distance attenuation increases if you are moving relative to the sound source. In other words, the sound will decrease if a sound occurs behind you and you are moving away from that point. Our aircraft move at a speed that is a large percentage of the SOS, so it is easy for the delay to be extended beyond our expectations.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 09:58:52 AM »
Puffy bursting in front of my plane that I'm traveling toward has a long delay....I don't think this is programed into the game the way you say it is(which honestly isn't a big deal for puffy) but tank rounds and such being fired used to be a lot easier to hear where they were shot from like Jimmy said which movement speed less the 60 MPH shouldn't have any real effect on how quick sound makes it to your ears....not a noticeable one at that.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 11:19:27 AM »
In the absence of an HTC comment I would like to see a DXdiag from both of you.